N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

s-cargo head gasket replacement

General chat related to anything N12.
Denied

s-cargo head gasket replacement

Post by Denied »

I had planned on replacing the head gasket on my s-cargo with the engine in-situ. Is this the best way of going about it or am i better of trying to get the engine out?

Only reason I ask was I noted that the Oracle posted up on Facebook for one of the other guys working on the head that it was the hard way doing it in-chassis.
Damo

Post by Damo »

It would be easier to do it on an engine stand, but you would need to get the engine out (obviously) which is harder than just removing the head. If it is your first attempt at pulling the head off, I would strongly recommend a workshop manual are Haines at a pinch. Once you have done it once or twice, it becomes a formality. It wouldn't take more than a hour to have the head on the bench with a bit of practice.
I suspect there may be more to the reply Evan made to that situation which could have been missed.
The only reason I would pull the engine from the car would be to remove the crank!

Damo
Do humanity a favor, use your brain and fight the forces of WOO WOO!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1mrbxhWU5Y
baz

Post by baz »

Simple engine in job, fuck going to the extreme of removing the engine just to do a head gasket :\ ..Heck you may get the head off & find the bored to be rusted out, that shit really fucks your day!..I've got a workshop manual here that "E" said he was keen on buying, If he decides against it, I'll holla at you!
My old exa I created from granny spec to a neat little BRIGHT car: http://forum.n12turbo.com/viewtopic.php?t=3903

Current Car: 2004 Vz SS Ute
Denied

Post by Denied »

Thanks again guys. I have the workshop manual so will refer to that.

I'm really hoping for no nasty surprises but considering the way the engine was running before it had it's little meltdown I'm also preparing myself for the worst, hence the shoutout for a spare engine.

I have to rip out the passenger seat as I'm reupholstering it in the next couple of weeks but hopefully I'll get some time in the engine bay too. I will post up deets in here when/if i do.
Denied

Post by Denied »

enlighten the noob. Removing the inlet manifold with engine still in.

8 nuts. 6 are reasonably easy, 4 on top, easily accessed with ring spanner. 2 at each end.

now, the 2 nuts that sit directly under the inlet manifold, only way I found was to use a super long extension bar with a 12mm socket, get that onto the passenger side nut by feel alone since you can't see the bloody thing and then attach ratchet and undo.

drivers side one needs the super long extension bar and then a uni-joint on the end... again, get that onto the nut by feel and then attach ratchet and undo.

Is this the best way or am I missing the bleeding obvious?

(I did manage to remove the manifold this is for future reference)
Damo

Post by Damo »

The easiest way i have found is to remove the head with manifolds attached.

Damo
Do humanity a favor, use your brain and fight the forces of WOO WOO!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1mrbxhWU5Y