N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

indicators not working

General chat related to anything N12.
rubixcube101

indicators not working

Post by rubixcube101 »

Hi guys my indicators are coming on as solid at the front with the park lights and therefore aren't doing anything when i flick the indicator on. Hazards switch does nothing and indicators not coming on on the rear at all. the rest of the lights seem to be working fine except reverse which i thing is due to a dodgy connection.

Tried swapping my hazards switch for a different one but had slightly different pins and made no difference. I suppose this still doesn't justify that the hazard switch is working correctly but is there anything else i can check? I'm thnking its a ground problem but not sure what i can do to fix it.

Cheers.
amraks

Post by amraks »

the only thing I can think of is why they are coming on solid is the flasher box
Amraks
rubixcube101

Post by rubixcube101 »

Had a bit of a play today, good news is that i got the hazards to work perfect, just took it apart and cleaned the contacts, it was quite rusty, and so the flasher unit seems to be working good too and all the fuses are intact. I'm still convinced its a ground but not sure whats grounded wrong. So the thing thats still not working is the indicator switches and that the indicators come on with the park lights!

Is it connected to the same relay as the horn? because the horn relay plug in the engine bay is quite rusty. not sure that would make much difference...

Cheers
rubixcube101

Post by rubixcube101 »

checked the continuity on the stalk so that seems to be fine, swapped out the dash for another and no difference. There's a ground loop or something somewhere but i can't find it!

Indicators are still coming on with the parkers, stalk indicator is doing nothing, and when the hazards are activated the parkers flash instead of the front indicators. Someone help please :(
Damo

Post by Damo »

Mine used to do something similar with the indicators coming with the brake lights. I think it was due to an farthing issue at the lights themselves.

Damo
Do humanity a favor, use your brain and fight the forces of WOO WOO!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1mrbxhWU5Y
rubixcube101

Post by rubixcube101 »

Damo wrote:Mine used to do something similar with the indicators coming with the brake lights. I think it was due to an farthing issue at the lights themselves.

Damo
How'd you fix it Damo?

Indicators are working now, its just the indicators that come on simultaneously with park lights and park lights flashing instead of indicators.
If i take out the park light fuse the park lights don't come on with the main switch but still flash when indicators are on.
Damo

Post by Damo »

I don't think I ever got around to sizing it out properly. From your last post though, are you sure you just don't have the wrong harness going to the wrong globe?

Damo

rubixcube101

Post by rubixcube101 »

Well from the wiring diagram the side combination lamp consists of the indicators and park lights which is a 3 pin plug only fits one way. The plug the splits of to the respective globes which ive made sure have the right colours. so according to the diagram they are correct. Id be more than happy to switch them so the indicators flash instead of the parkers but there still remains the problem that the indicators come on with the parkers :/

Hi havent done anything other than plug things in but do you think that switching the left and right harness would make a difference?
rubixcube101

Post by rubixcube101 »

Unplugging them separately makes no difference to the other park light so the issue is before the lights themselves.

On the circuit diagram there is three grounds for the park lights. One in the rear, and two at the front. I know where the rear one is and i know where one of the front ones are next to the horn relay in the top right under the hood, does anyone know where the third is?

Is it behind the dash? Could be possible that owner before me pulled out the dash and forgot to put an earth back or when it has been resprayed one of the earths is gone missing somewhere.
rubixcube101

Post by rubixcube101 »

Ok so i found this post here, same problem bad ground: http://forum.n12turbo.com/viewtopic.php ... ght=earths

Went through all the grounds sanded them back again to make double sure, replaced the ring terminal in the rear as the crimped section was a bit rusty, added and extra earth near the left hand side parkers so i could gaurantee that i got the same common earth... still no difference! WTF!?

The only think i can think of is that there is an earth loop, but how do i resolve it? It's starting to frustrating me now :/
rubixcube101

Post by rubixcube101 »

FIXED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Problem was the change from series 1 to series 2 lights. THe plugs are the same, however pins are in a different order.

When having a look earlier i simply checked the colours to see that the were correct for left and right, i didnt check pin order since it was a one way plug.

Glad thats sorted :)

Thanks for the help guys.
Damo

Post by Damo »

Nice work! You may need to Dona tech article to save someone's sanity.

Damo