N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

leaking like a seive

General chat related to anything N12.
robbo

leaking like a seive

Post by robbo »

So the exa's been leaking in the boot somewhere, and i have siliconed up every little crack, taken off the boot rubber and cleaned everywhere but it still leaks alot. the car is also leaking from somewhere inside the cabin, causing the carpet to be wet beneath the front seats/passenger footwell. This is driving me crazy trying to find these leaks, has anyone else had a similar problem and where did the leaks turn out to be?
etking

Post by etking »

tail lights?
Members Ride: http://forum.n12turbo.com/viewtopic.php?t=6786
85 ET, M/tech LT10X, T28, FMIC 2.5" Stainless Piping, 3" Intake, Dump n Zorst, JDM Inlet, CA18DET Injectors, Bosch 040, Bodykit, 17s
robbo

Post by robbo »

that was my first thought, however I resealed them, and the moisture seems to be getting in higher than the tail light seals would allow, and also going almost the entire way around the boot
Ztealth

Post by Ztealth »

Water leaks can be nearly as bad as oil leaks...its takes sweet f all to allow a leak to occur...and hence finding it without any kind of logical process can be tricky.

My advice...remove all accessible trims/bits in the back of the car. Get in the car with a good light. Get someone to hose the car. Wait...wait...wait...until you see it coming in. And if you can't see it coming in, wait some more. It will come in. Keep in mind there may be more than one source of the leak.

Hope this helps.

*EDIT*

Reading your post again...you mention the front footwell. Been a long time since seeing the contours of the floor but I'd say if it's in the front footwells then it's leaking in from the front of the car...not from the back.
baz

Post by baz »

Seal around your door, & the shape of the pillar will be like a river for it to run down..
My old exa I created from granny spec to a neat little BRIGHT car: http://forum.n12turbo.com/viewtopic.php?t=3903

Current Car: 2004 Vz SS Ute
robbo

Post by robbo »

Thanks Baz I'll strip out the rear and get a mate to hose the car on the weekend, there are definately multiple leaks both in the boot and around the doors. Replacing the door seals would probably be a good start wouldn't it?