N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

Is a factory turbo from a RB30ET a good upgrade?

General chat related to anything N12.
NZLeprix

Is a factory turbo from a RB30ET a good upgrade?

Post by NZLeprix »

Currently have factory crappy T2, all I know about this RB30ET turbo is that it says 0.48 on it and Garret, anyone know what actual size these are?
Panda_ET

Post by Panda_ET »

They are a T3 of poor design
NZLeprix

Post by NZLeprix »

Ok, so not worthwhile then i guess.. maybe i'll get a turbo from a 1989 CA18DET engine.. better option?
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

The T25 off the CA18 would be the choice.
However, altho the T3 is pretty old school, they are a robust and close to bulletproof turbo that will run on a 1500 at a laggy 20psi pretty much indefinitely and should not be dismissed out of hand.

Thing is youll have to make a new manifold for your car along with new dump and so-on.
In which case you would better spend your money on a T3/28 hybrid thing of an RB20det which is watercooled and has a BB core.

The T25 will largely bolt straight up.

L8tr
E
Forcd4 wrote:Oh fuk no dude it's you a again, the oracle.
BQ.05.TD

Post by BQ.05.TD »

if u want a low mount manifold with T3 adapter on it give me a pm
Rzeractor

Post by Rzeractor »

*hijacks thread*
So a T25 will bolt straight on with no stuffing around? I have alow mount turbo with a T2...
angel

Post by angel »

Rzeractor wrote:*hijacks thread*
So a T25 will bolt straight on with no stuffing around? I have alow mount turbo with a T2...
The answer is yes and no. both the t25 and t2 have the same base flange, so yes it will bolt straight up to your standard manifold.

However the t25 has a different exhaust flange pattern (usually 5 bolt) so you will beed a different dump pipe to fit it propperly. If you are short of cash you can still use the t2 dump, and only use 3 of the bolts, it will still seal and is ok for a tempory fix, although it may make it laggy. You may have to rotate the t25 housings around aswell, depending what engine it came off. Oil and water lines are the same.
Rzeractor

Post by Rzeractor »

angel wrote:
Rzeractor wrote:*hijacks thread*
The answer is yes and no. both the t25 and t2 have the same base flange, so yes it will bolt straight up to your standard manifold.

However the t25 has a different exhaust flange pattern (usually 5 bolt) so you will beed a different dump pipe to fit it propperly. If you are short of cash you can still use the t2 dump, and only use 3 of the bolts, it will still seal and is ok for a tempory fix, although it may make it laggy. You may have to rotate the t25 housings around aswell, depending what engine it came off. Oil and water lines are the same.
Crazy, thanks buddy.