N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

Dash cluster swaps

General chat related to anything N12.
Kaine_ET

Dash cluster swaps

Post by Kaine_ET »

Hello again fellas,

Kaine here with yet again another questions. I am a red p plater in victoria, where cops love to pick on us haha.
Just wondering, could i fit a normal dash cluster into my 1985 exa, because each time i get pulled up im worried they'll spot the turbo badges. Its the only thing left on the car that says turbo and i want to get rid of it. Especially since the boost gauge no longer works. I have a tacho and boost gauge so im looking to replace the cluster with one with a big ass clock and speedo.
No cop has asked to look over the engine so im tryin to give them reasons not too haha

Any help would be appreciated :D
Thanks guys!
baz

Post by baz »

Just paint it or something
My old exa I created from granny spec to a neat little BRIGHT car: http://forum.n12turbo.com/viewtopic.php?t=3903

Current Car: 2004 Vz SS Ute
Kaine_ET

Post by Kaine_ET »

Good point, these clusters easy to pull apart? If i break it il be in a spot of bother. Even though i have a spare with 177+kms on the clock :P i just like having spares of everything
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

Yes.
Just be very careful pulling the needles off the guage spindles.
Its very easy to break the needle off.

Oracle
Forcd4 wrote:Oh fuk no dude it's you a again, the oracle.
Kaine_ET

Post by Kaine_ET »

Thanks mate, il give it a go and il post which parts i break haha :D
amraks

Post by amraks »

better than painting it I would use a bit of vinyl to cover it.

So you can easily remove when you come off your provisionals.
Amraks
Kaine_ET

Post by Kaine_ET »

Thats a fantastic idea! thx amraks, good thing i havnt had time to do this yet but it shall be done!
amraks

Post by amraks »

No problem, Should save you time waiting for paint to dry also.
Amraks
BLUE ET

Post by BLUE ET »

Have you tried getting a low powered turbocharged exemption? I had one for my et on my red p's. Not hard to get!

Plus you wouldn't have to worry about trying to cover up all the turbo give aways!
SHIT JANICE!!!!!!!!!
baz

Post by baz »

covering it with vinyl will take you quite some time as its a fairly fiddly job, either paint it & have a spare dash on hand to swap the turbo lense back into it once your able to drive a turbo car
My old exa I created from granny spec to a neat little BRIGHT car: http://forum.n12turbo.com/viewtopic.php?t=3903

amraks

Post by amraks »

baz wrote:covering it with vinyl will take you quite some time as its a fairly fiddly job, either paint it & have a spare dash on hand to swap the turbo lense back into it once your able to drive a turbo car
he only needs a little black strip of vinyl not hard to do even black contact its a temp thing, why stuff a dash.
Amraks
Kaine_ET

Post by Kaine_ET »

Cheers guys for all the help. I got a spare which il be pulling apart once i get some supply's. blue et i dont know much about exemptions, and honesly dont really know where to look for advice. If you could link me to some info i would love the help!
baz

Post by baz »

If your wanting to put a strip of tape of vinyl over the writing then go for it, it'll look like shit but if you dont care then do it, if you care about looks then id be painting it