N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

Clutch Recommendations

General chat related to anything N12.
Limit-R

Clutch Recommendations

Post by Limit-R »

So in the process of sorting out my ET my brother in law and i have pulled the motor and box out to replace the ring gear.

At the same time we have noticed that the clutch is basically stuffed and the rear main seal needs replacing. The rear main is no issue since I've found one of those easily enough.

Ideally I'd like an Exedy clutch but after being quoted 750 for a new HD unit with a new flywheel and ring gear from NPC well that's just a little out of the budget. As the car won't be anything too insane (just bolt ons really) as I plan to daily it I don't need anything too crazy.

I've seen some people using RPM clutches and I've seen those on eBay but I have no idea how good they are.

I'd be happy with a less extreme Exedy unit but I haven't had time to call about a price. Or a NPC made unit but I don't believe they do one for the ET.

Any other recommendations would be appreciated.

Ideally I'd like to spend no more than about $350 or so including having a new ring gear fitted and possible machining of the flywheel. But I'm not silly and know that this stuff costs money.

I just don't feel that a 750 clutch is what I need.

Cheers in advance.
zoomzoom

Post by zoomzoom »

350 wont get you a looking if you wanting to do ring gear flywheel and hd clutch
I got a 4 puck extreme in mine price I doof it I don't know cause it came with other parts
when i was looking around the best i fond was $330 for an extreme hd with custom presser plate that was 2010 in Adelaide
think it cost me around $150 to have the flywheel machined and litend
another clutch to look at is the f1 I think it's tass that I read uses one so if it is him then they worth looking at
but at the end of the day if you not look to up the boost and only do bolt on stuff any half decent clutch should hold fine I would of thought
[though we all know about thought and what he thought]
well hope that helps

zoomzoom
tits'n' wheels gotta love'em
poeticjustice88

Post by poeticjustice88 »

Call NPC clutches in brisbane. they use exedy pressure and friction plates. i got their top of the range material clutches for less than $300 i believe brand new, and they posted it to me

it feels great iunder the foot. i told them i want a clutch to hold 200kw. they tried to sell me on button clutch but instead they made the clutch that i got to hold up that much power for no extra cost. so i highly recommend them

Michael
baz

Post by baz »

Just get something cheap like an RPM which is the PBR brand, in the HD, then maybe try & get a 2nd hand flywheel that's ready to be machined & has a good ring gear on it, & your set, I paid about $200 for my hd rpm clutch years ago & it was brand new
My old exa I created from granny spec to a neat little BRIGHT car: http://forum.n12turbo.com/viewtopic.php?t=3903

Current Car: 2004 Vz SS Ute
poeticjustice88

i havent heard many good reviews on the rpm though

a few saying they struggle to handle a little more than stock power
robbo

Post by robbo »

my exa apparently has a heavy duty rpm in it (although I haven't pulled the box off to check), and it seems to hold up fine under 130+kw atw, on ebay they are under $200 from memory
Limit-R

Post by Limit-R »

Thanks for the input guys.
poeticjustice88 wrote:Call NPC clutches in brisbane. they use exedy pressure and friction plates. i got their top of the range material clutches for less than $300 i believe brand new, and they posted it to me

it feels great iunder the foot. i told them i want a clutch to hold 200kw. they tried to sell me on button clutch but instead they made the clutch that i got to hold up that much power for no extra cost. so i highly recommend them

Michael
I'd called NPC last week but only asked about the HD option. I just called again and spoke to Floyd (who I've spoken to about a clutch for my SS Commodore before)

He's advised me it's $165 for a standard clutch or he can modify it a bit for $255 to give it better clamping pressure. Another $45 for flywheel machining. But they don't know about a ring gear until they see mine.

Basically mines moved a bit off of the flywheel and chewed the edge of some of the teeth (as seems to be the common issue) They might be able to just spin it around and then tack it onto the flywheel to keep it there.

Should that not work Nissan want $160 to order a ring gear from Japan.

I know that a NA ring gear will fit. Hopefully NPC can supply one if mines too far gone but otherwise is there anyone that can actually source them?
poeticjustice88

well that would be what i got then. the $255 one

I find its great. would buy again without a doubt

and its exedy gear

Michael
Limit-R

Post by Limit-R »

Well considering how happy I am with the npc unit in my VY SS Commodore that's the unit I'll be getting. I've just gotta organise to get it.
n12et_exa

Post by n12et_exa »

my et runs a 4 puck rpm clutch kit its been in it sence i got it and its held up pretty good it also has a hd presure plate but really comes down to personal choice and driving style