N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

Likely overheating causes?

General chat related to anything N12.
Kimmo

Likely overheating causes?

Post by Kimmo »

Thinking I need to flush my radiator, but before I pull it out, is there something else that's likely to cause overheating?

And if radiator flushing is the go, is there a way to DIY effectively, or should I take it to someone to get it done?

Last time this happened to me a I had a spares car and just swapped the radiator out which did the trick until now...
n12et_exa

Post by n12et_exa »

it could be the thermostate or water pump as well radiator could do with a flush to see but if it still heats up a bit id change the thermostate if that dont fix it you know it will be the water pump itself
Kimmo

Post by Kimmo »

Cheers : )
n12et_exa

Post by n12et_exa »

no problem mate
shanec86
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shanec86 »

check if there is any temp difference between the top and bottom hoses, that can give you an idea on the thermostat.

You can flush the radiator, but it can pickup the crap from inside the block and just put it right back into the radiator again. Probably a good idea to have the radiator checked, they can get pretty blocked up, especially this old.

Water pump could have the fins corroded off and not be doing a lot.
baz

Post by baz »

First of all, You can flush a radiator out by just sticking a hose in one end, BUT that doesn't mean it's clean..your radiator has cooling channel rows, & some of which may be clogged..I recently had a Forester radiator cleaned & flow tested, & 31 out of 75 rows were blocked, yet it still flowed water, so if your wanting a proper job, leave it to someone who can do it or if your wanting a quick job that may fix or may not fix it then just wack a hose on the end of it..

Overheating issues can me a blocked radiator, stuck thermostat or a shat water pump..Is it using water?
My old exa I created from granny spec to a neat little BRIGHT car: http://forum.n12turbo.com/viewtopic.php?t=3903

Current Car: 2004 Vz SS Ute
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

Is the thermo fan actually running?

Oracle
Forcd4 wrote:Oh fuk no dude it's you a again, the oracle.
baz

Post by baz »

Prob not lol
My old exa I created from granny spec to a neat little BRIGHT car: http://forum.n12turbo.com/viewtopic.php?t=3903

Kimmo

Post by Kimmo »

Thermo fan was going a lot - come to think of it I was a bit misleading; the car wasn't actually overheating, but just getting hot too easily.

Anyway, it turns out I forgot to check the water; it needed a couple of litres : /

I doubt it's using much water though (I'll have to keep an eye on it); it's been bloody ages since I checked it cause I only just got my license back.

Which is also my excuse for being so rusty with car diagnostics : /
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

You... you....FOOL!

Oracle
Forcd4 wrote:Oh fuk no dude it's you a again, the oracle.
baz

Post by baz »

Rookie mistake

Kimmo

Post by Kimmo »

Yeah, hanging my head in shame.

Anyway, she's right :wink: