N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

general advice needed

General chat related to anything N12.
robbo

general advice needed

Post by robbo »

about to start working on the ET again, it's been off the road since the new year and before i pump a bit of my first paycheck into getting it running sweet wanted to double check a few things. plan so far is to:
-replace timing belt
-replace timing belt tensioner (has rubber lumps from a previous belt on it :S)
-replace cam shaft pulley seal
-get a new gearbox to engine bolt, can someone please advise the thread/length needed???
-there is a leak from between the bell housing and rest of the gearbox. I have a spare gearbox in unknown condition, how much would it cost to rebuild it myself (assuming its in ok condition) or is there an easier way to fix the leak? there is also a leak coming from where the shifter is connected to the box...
-install the new muffler and more hangers to stop the exhaust from moving and vibrating the dump pipe off

is there anything else that would be wise to replace at the same time if i am already doing these?

Thanks guys
baz

Post by baz »

- Might be able to get a whole timing belt kit (belt, tensioner, seals etc)
- Leak between gearbox & rest of motor may be your rear main crankshaft seal (remove box, remove clutch & flywheel, then there's your seal)
- From memory there is a seal where the selector shaft goes into the gearbox
- gearbox bolts wont likely be all the same length, maybe x2 different lengths, from memory their like an m10x1.25 or 1.5 @ how ever long you need (It's been years since owning one of these little cars)
- Cost of gearbox rebuild will vary, If the box is in unknown condition, then it may be perfectly fine, if its in Ok condition then there's no reason to rebuild it unless your wanting to put strengthened bits in it..
As for your exhaust issue, Wack in a flex joint, that way your exhaust has some movement & it wont snap/bend your dump pipe exhaust studs.
If your giving it a bit of a birthday then I'd assume your doing engine oil, oil filter, fuel filter, plugs, brake fluid, gearbox oil etc?
My old exa I created from granny spec to a neat little BRIGHT car: http://forum.n12turbo.com/viewtopic.php?t=3903

Current Car: 2004 Vz SS Ute
robbo

Post by robbo »

Thanks Baz, i've bought most of the things you mentioned. I'll probably fix the brakes and get the car registered, and then take off the gearbox, flywheel and clutch to look at the rear main.
baz

Post by baz »

Before the road worthy, Be sure to give the car a one last clean, & as long as the rear main seal isn't pissing out, it should pass fine.
My old exa I created from granny spec to a neat little BRIGHT car: http://forum.n12turbo.com/viewtopic.php?t=3903

photoglossy

Post by photoglossy »

Im with Baz. Make sure you stick a flexi in your exhaust and it will save you a lot of trouble!
enthrall

Post by enthrall »

"there is a leak from between the bell housing and rest of the gearbox"
ah-ha. that may not be as serious as you think.
On mine, there is a slight leak in the CV shaft seal on one side, so a bit of gearbox oil comes out and a big drip tends to form on the join between the bell and the gearbox.
I would have thought it was coming from the mainshaft seal if i didn't know better.

What colour is the oil leak>? if it s fairly golden, its just your CV seal (assuming your box oil is in good condition). if blackish/brown, mainshaft most likely.
Take a good look around the CV's- if its oily again before long after you have given it a good clean, you have your cuplrit.
fitzmooney

Post by fitzmooney »

Another thing to look at is your reverse light switch for leakage.
I have had this happen on all 3 of my N12s.
I don't know if they are still available from Nissan.
baz

Post by baz »

enthrall wrote:"there is a leak from between the bell housing and rest of the gearbox"
ah-ha. that may not be as serious as you think.
On mine, there is a slight leak in the CV shaft seal on one side, so a bit of gearbox oil comes out and a big drip tends to form on the join between the bell and the gearbox.
I would have thought it was coming from the mainshaft seal if i didn't know better.

What colour is the oil leak>? if it s fairly golden, its just your CV seal (assuming your box oil is in good condition). if blackish/brown, mainshaft most likely.
Take a good look around the CV's- if its oily again before long after you have given it a good clean, you have your cuplrit.
I'm sure he can tell the difference between gearbox & engine oil by looking at it, if not then the smell sure gives it away

robbo

Post by robbo »

there's already a flexi in the exhaust, no leak at the cv's and turned out that engine oil was leaking right down the bell housing from a clamp for an oil line. wasn't able to tell until i started tearing things apart lol
dunno about that Baz I'm not the most cluey with cars hahahaha
I'll check the reverse light switch shortly as was previously unaware that it was a common problem
thanks for all the advice guys, helps alot!!