N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

need advice on intercooler positioning and piping.

General chat related to anything N12.
rubixcube101

need advice on intercooler positioning and piping.

Post by rubixcube101 »

Hi guys, recently i have decided to use a liberty rs water to air intercooler setup to go with my egi manifold. Playing around with positioning on my donor car, I want to know whether i should mount it in the space on the drivers side or the passengers side.

ideally Passenger side would provide plenty of space and make it an easy mount, however the downside is the piping would have to pass back over the exhaust manifold after being cooled. Is this a bad idea?

Drivers side on the other hand is seriously crammed and the piping would have to come straight out at a 90 degree bend and over the cam cover. Possibly need to modify the brackets on the ic to fit it, want to avoid that because i dont want to ruin the brackets.

If the performance drop when passing back over the exhaust manifold isn't so great id much rather go with that! Cheers,

Reuben.
zoomzoom

Post by zoomzoom »

it should make any different going over the manifold or not and if you're that worried about heat soak get a stainless steal sheet and have it rolled so it fits over turbo and all
you going too cut the bonnet to let air in?
tits'n' wheels gotta love'em
rubixcube101

Post by rubixcube101 »

Thanks mate, i think ill just stick it to the passenger side, wrap it up and hope that it doesnt soak up the heat.

dont think im going to cut it but i have the little outlet scoops on either side to help ventilate.
SimoN10

Post by SimoN10 »

The other option is try and buy a rrc manifold which will let you mount it on the passanger side with less pipe work. just a thought

heres how i ran my barell cooler
Damo

Post by Damo »

I/C plumbing across the exhaust manifold is a non issue, just lag the pipe with some hession tape, then metalic tape to insulate it.

Damo
Do humanity a favor, use your brain and fight the forces of WOO WOO!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1mrbxhWU5Y
baz

Post by baz »

Do away with the Rs junk cooler & just run a nice small tidy fmic tucked away
My old exa I created from granny spec to a neat little BRIGHT car: http://forum.n12turbo.com/viewtopic.php?t=3903

Current Car: 2004 Vz SS Ute
rubixcube101

Post by rubixcube101 »

was going to run a small rx7 fmic at the front but then realised that you need to modify it. Wanted to do a bigger one but then you have to remove the radiator support, and i have to take it over the pits still. Too late now though got the rs intercooler and managed to find a good condition nice fitting condenser dirt cheap so pretty happy. Just the water pump and plumbing left before its good to go. Cheers.