N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

drifting

General chat related to anything N12.
poeticjustice88

drifting

Post by poeticjustice88 »

Hey all, long time no talk.

I went up to the Sunshine Coast over the Australia day holiday, now, I know that it was absolutely torrential with rain and wind, But I have a problem with my lil noisey that I need to address immediately.

anything above 60 km/h, if I make a tiny adjustment on the steering wheel just to stay in the middle of the lane say, the front of the car responds correctly, but the rear of the car takes a tiny moment, just a split second, to make the same movement. This results in the rear of the car feeling like it is drifting or aqua planing.

Now I know that it was wet and very windy which could cause this feeling, and as I have never noticed it before, it could very well be that the weather is the culprit.

But if not, could someone please shed some light on some different scenarios that could cause this effect? Even though it is only a tiny feeling of rear end drift, it was EXTREMELY easy to over correct for it, and if I had done so, the arse would have drifted to the left a tiny bit, then the right a tiny bit more, then left again just a tad more, and so on and so forth until im spinning on the motorway.

I know my shocks in the back are really worse for wear, but is there anything else that could cause this?

Michael
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

grossly underinflated tyres and worn trailing arm bushes will allow it to walk around.
Both easy to fix!

Oracle
Forcd4 wrote:Oh fuk no dude it's you a again, the oracle.
Damo

Post by Damo »

Many moons ago, I was visiting some friends out toward Yanco/Leeton and had to do a little dirt road between different places. The day I went to leave, got the testicle onto some bitumen and fuck me the thing felt strange. Very small changes in direction at normal road speeds and the back end felt like it was ice. I got about 5ks down the road and had to turn back, as there was no way I was going to make the trip back in one piece without ending up as a hood ornament.
Long story a little shorter, a rear shock had busted it seal. The replacements required cutting of the dust cover to fit (common thing).

Give the back of the car a bounce and it should settle after 1 cycle if its ok, if not shock is cactus!
Have a sticky at the rest of your suspension rubbers also to see what condit they are in.

Damo
Do humanity a favor, use your brain and fight the forces of WOO WOO!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1mrbxhWU5Y
poeticjustice88

Post by poeticjustice88 »

i know the rear shocks are busted, but they have been for so long and i have never had this problem, so i figured that it was not them, as it is a new problem.

As for the tyres, i stopped at a servo as soon as i figured out what was going on, and they were all on 32-36 so i knocked 40 into them and kep going.

Michael