N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

Rear Brakes

General chat related to anything N12.
poeticjustice88

Rear Brakes

Post by poeticjustice88 »

Just wondering if anyone has had this trouble with their rear brakes on the ET before.

last week or so i thought my handbrake as sticking in the mornings on my first drive of the day. Would usually get 30 secs down the road with what felt like the handbrake slightly on on the left rear wheel and then it would let go and drive like normal, no change to the brakes effectivity.

But on my last drive, it did not loosen up or let go. It is not strong enough to lock up the back wheels, just feel it dragging the ass. As I was only going to the local super cheap auto I continued my drive even though the brake was not letting off. When i pulled up there was a little bit of smoke coming from the wheel and the caliper was waaaay too hot to touch.

Just curious if anyone has had this before on their ET? there is plenty of meat left on the pads.

Only reason I ask, is if it is a common problem, then I would like to know about it and get the required parts before pulling the brakes apart.

If it is not a common problem then down to the local brake store I go.

Michael
Andjeti

Post by Andjeti »

My handbrake was stuck on for ages. Same deal, would drive and it would release, then one day it didn't. I jacked the rear up, sprayed the cables and mechanisms with WD40, Used a pair of multigrips to force each side to open and close several times, and haven't had an issue since.

I hadn't driven it for 3 months, and it was parked outside in all the rain we had last year. I just figured it was moisture in the cables and mechanisms.

Cheers
Jay
"Dog's go Woof Woof. Wog's go Doof Doof"
ET Turbo Decal Reproductions
shanec86
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shanec86 »

yeah its a common problem for the handbrake cables to seize up. Wouldn't hurt to rebuild the calipers while your at it. Polish up the pistons too
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

Yep, what he said.
if the plastic outer cable cover is cracked anywhere, which it almost always is, it will let in water and dirt.
The inner cable will rust and clag up with rust particles and dirt.

Replacement is the best option but you can resurrect sticky cables by hanging them up, making a "funnel" out of plasticene around the cable outer end and filling up the funnel with penetrating oil and letting the oil seep down into the cable overnight.

I speed things up by grabbing the free end of the inner cable with a battery drill and twirling the inner cable in the direction of the "twist" of the inner wire which actually draws the fluid down into the cable quite quickly.
Follow this up with oil.

Theyll work like new for a while untill the water and crud get back in.

Oracle
Forcd4 wrote:Oh fuk no dude it's you a again, the oracle.