N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

Box issue- No reverse. Linkage?

General chat related to anything N12.
enthrall

Box issue- No reverse. Linkage?

Post by enthrall »

New box is in, everything is connected up, mounts are secure and tight..

gears 1-5 go in nicely. Slight problem of not being able to reverse out of the driveway however..

When trying to engage reverse gear, it feels like there is something stopping the gearstick going into the appropriate bottom corner position.
I've tried from a number of angles (down from 5th, across from 3rd, 4th to neutral, double clutching etc, etc.
No joy.

Disconnecting the linkage, ive fiddled about with the striker plate- it moves about smoothly.
Only issue is that i'm not sure what positions on the striker plate correspond to what gear.
The factory manual isnt very clear on that- just shows the shift pattern on the actual stick, via the linkage.

The striker goes back and forth nicely- there appears to be three or four obvious positions.

Is it supposed to be able to twist side to side a bit though to engage reverse?
My other boxes dont, so i'm assuming no.

The linkage control rod (not the support rod) has a *bit* of a bend in it- is this normal- or is it supposed to be dead straight?

Thoughts?
:)
Damo

Re: Box issue- No reverse. Linkage?

Post by Damo »

enthrall wrote:New box is in, everything is connected up, mounts are secure and tight..

gears 1-5 go in nicely. Slight problem of not being able to reverse out of the driveway however..

When trying to engage reverse gear, it feels like there is something stopping the gearstick going into the appropriate bottom corner position.
I've tried from a number of angles (down from 5th, across from 3rd, 4th to neutral, double clutching etc, etc.
No joy.

Disconnecting the linkage, ive fiddled about with the striker plate- it moves about smoothly.
Only issue is that i'm not sure what positions on the striker plate correspond to what gear.
The factory manual isnt very clear on that- just shows the shift pattern on the actual stick, via the linkage.

The striker goes back and forth nicely- there appears to be three or four obvious positions.

Is it supposed to be able to twist side to side a bit though to engage reverse?
My other boxes dont, so i'm assuming no.

The linkage control rod (not the support rod) has a *bit* of a bend in it- is this normal- or is it supposed to be dead straight?

Thoughts?
:)
You need to rotate that linkage control rod through 180deg down its length, ie, it is up-side-down. It is supposed to have a bend toward the end, but if it is facing the wrong direction, no reverse unless you smash it from 1st to reverse.

Damo
Do humanity a favor, use your brain and fight the forces of WOO WOO!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1mrbxhWU5Y
enthrall

Post by enthrall »

Lol. previous owner strikes again then.... :S
yeah, there are signs they were playing around with it at some stage- rubber boot in console undone etc..
There does seem more play in the gearstick towards 1st/2nd than towards rev/5th.
The bent bit is on the linkage side, not the box side of the rod to clarify.

So, pretty much, unbolt at the box end, pull the cotter pin on the linkage end, and twist the rod round (on its axis) so the bend faces the other way.

Thanks heaps! - thats tonight's job! :)
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

OR, perhaps one/both the small unis at each end of the linkage roda are well worn.

I know mine are and the car is getting more and more difficult to get into reverse altho the linkage has never been off the car.

Even thos the unis are quite worn, The issue does not really present as a wobbling shifter and the only way I can easily tell is by a metalic kind of clanging in the shifter when its rattles from side to side in neutral.

If you jump in a car with a good shifter you can feel the difference straight away.

Oracle
Forcd4 wrote:Oh fuk no dude it's you a again, the oracle.
enthrall

Post by enthrall »

yep, true i can hear it clanking and clinking a fair bit when changing gear.

The weak plastic "stopper collar" on the linkage side is also cracked and broken- however, watching it while the stick is moving about, the 'stopper" doesn't seem to stop, or do anything at all for that matter (the rod never moves away from the cotter pin) so i assumed it wasn't the problem.

Looks like another trip to a mates place to rip another piece out of his sister's old NA wreck..
enthrall

Post by enthrall »

Just an update- The problem was with the control rod- the bushings on the transaxle side of the rod were totally slogged out and loose as a goose..
Wouldn't have thought that a little bit of play would make such a difference, but it does!
Changed the rod, and everything is sweet- reverse works again. the car had its first trip outside of the driveway for months not long afterward :D