N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

Random loose spring found in transaxle driveshaft hole..

General chat related to anything N12.
enthrall

Random loose spring found in transaxle driveshaft hole..

Post by enthrall »

I recently finally got around to changing my my box over, but while connecting everything up, i found a little circular, sprung flexible ring floating around in the drive shaft hole in the new box.
its kind of like a rubber band, but made of a long, tight, thin metal spring.
it could probably fit over my wrist quite tightly

I looked in theopposite driveshaft hole, and couldn't see another one- same with the old box, on both sides. Since i couldn't figure out where it went, i pulled it out as it didnt look like a good idea to leave it floating around unsecured in there and put the driveshafts back in.
(i already counsulted the manual, and the exploded diagram of the transaxle doesn't feature the little ring spring.. so i was pretty stumped on it)

Anyone have any idea if it's just a piece of rubbish that somehow dropped in there while the new box was sitting about, or if it's actually belongs to the transaxle? (and where does it go??)
if so, i guess i'd better put it back..
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

Thay will be the old shaft seal tension springs.
Were probably dislodged when the old seals were picked out.
Throw them in the bin.

Oracle
Forcd4 wrote:Oh fuk no dude it's you a again, the oracle.
enthrall

Post by enthrall »

excellent news there then :)

Is there much chance they could have come off the current seals?
or does the seal need to basically be destroyed and shredded for the tension spring to come out of the seal?

(i did not replace them as they weren't damaged or deformed looking)

I have *slight* leakage coming from that driveshaft- but its only a few drops a day, so i can live with it for the time being given i have ~2 litres of gear oil i have no use for kicking around...
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

Ummm well... anytime you change a gearbox you change those seals as a matter of course. They are cheap and easy to change. Specially when the box is out.
No huge deal to do with the box in either just a little time consuming is all.

Id be guessing there is every chance that they (springs) belong to the existing seals.
The springs are just barely retained by a rubber lip and can quite easily be removed by fingers.
They are there to squeeze the rubber sealing lip gently against the inner uni machined surface.

A shaft seal of that size is usually completely oil free for many many years if the seals are in reasonable condition so i reckon you might have your culprit.

I think its fair to say the leak will get somewhat worse over time but the seal will not suddenly fail becoz of them not being there.

Oracle
enthrall

Post by enthrall »

Bugger.
That will be a job for another day then when the leak irritates me enough then.
Really want to put the car through a few weeks of driving round my town first to discover any other major hidden problems with the engine etc.

Ok, so they are easy to get, and under $30 from burson or suchlike then?
For future ref, To get the seals out, you need a special tool ST00XXXXX? according to the manual, and another one; ST00XYZ?? to drive in the new ones.
I'm guessing most people don't have them kicking about in the shed- What do you use instead to do the job?
Looks like using a couple screwdrivers or mallets would probably damage the seal...so a crude bodge job is probably not an option.
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

The seals are available from anywhere that sells hydraulic seals. I cannot remember the size but the dimensions are written on the seal face.
Pick one out from an old gearbox and take it in.

You can gently prise the seals out with a large screwdriver but its IMPERATIVE that you dont damage the housing that the seal lives in with the screwdriver blade.

The seal housing must be clean and free from any sealant or gunk and no gouges or scratches.

You can re-install the new seals (lightly greased) first by hand working the seal into the housing with fingers and then very carefully drift the seals further and EVENLY into place with a bit of wooden dowel. Just tap in around the edge bit by bit.
Drive it in too hard and cock it over and the seal can be distorted and leak city is your destination!!

Just gently drift the seal in until the front face of the seal is more or less flush with the housing. Youll see how it goes.

IIRC if bashed in like a gorilla, you can drive the seals right into the diff housing as there is no machined lip in the ally housing to stop the seal !!!

Lightly grease the seal inner before installing the driveshaft1

Its not a difficult job but just a bigger pain when the box is in the car!!!