N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

Nuts on lower ball joint bracket rounded.. How to fix?

General chat related to anything N12.
enthrall

Nuts on lower ball joint bracket rounded.. How to fix?

Post by enthrall »

Tried to undo the three nuts that hold the lower ball joint to the steering knuckle and suspension arm today.. And.. On one side, i found one was nastily rounded, and despite using the proper 14mm socket, i managed to damage the edges of one of the nuts on the other side.
How in the hell do i fix this and get those nuts off now? :(
also, what caused the issue in the first place? Wrong grade nuts installed?

Reason why i tried removing them was to get the cv's out- followed the full nissan factory service manual instructions.

ideas would be appreciated!
n12et_exa

Post by n12et_exa »

try bashing a 13mm socket on to the rounded bolt heads ????? its a very dodgey way but some times it works
brendan1

Post by brendan1 »

Or try using a slip joint pair of pliers, ive used pliers on rounded nuts before.
amraks

Post by amraks »

vice grips usually works.

Just be careful not to snap the top of the bolt off other wise you will be drilling it out and retapping it.
Amraks
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

Nah you can get pliers onto those nuts. they are recessed up in the lower control arm.

Im pretty sure those nuts are 13mm. They are on my car anyway.
As a last resort, try using a single hex impact socket on them. You might get away with that.

However, I got rid of some stubborn and damaged nuts sometime back by grinding the head off the bolt and drifting them down and out.

If you dont have any of those funky triple bolt thingies handy, just use some free wizz-nuts (or Nyloks) and bolts

Oracle
Forcd4 wrote:Oh fuk no dude it's you a again, the oracle.
enthrall

Post by enthrall »

Thanks for the advice people!

yeah, unfortunately, it is rather tricky to get in there- one is recessed deep into the control arm, with barely space to fit in a socket! (that's the rounded one) (there's a little circular hole in the arm to allow access :S)

Gone mad with the RP7 spray every day in the hope that it might help them along a bit.

nah- 13mm ring spanner / socket wont fit on them at all- could be the wrong nuts fitted though. It does say in the service manual to chuck them after removing them once- i'm guessing some genius beforehand decided to ignore that.

Advice to everyone- spend the money, chuck them! you probably wont get them off twice! The manual is nto being pedantically conservative!

One of the 17mm head, grade 6 bolts on the strut to knuckle have ceased too- quietly praying that loosens eventually. The nut has rounded, but luckly the bolt head is still ok. Drilling it out, and snapping off the head may be the go i'd say.

I'm seeing now how the thread repair guy has a viable business now- there woudl be no shoratge of work i'd imagine with old cars :S
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

What the problem mostly is moronic neanderthalls ripping the nuts up too tight.
Once they dry out and rust on its impossible to remove them.

Just grind the heads off those funky bolt thingies.
Mission accomplished in about 5 minutes.

Oracle
Forcd4 wrote:Oh fuk no dude it's you a again, the oracle.
enthrall

Post by enthrall »

In the end, i bought a set of damaged nut extractors- They look like a set of sockets, but round inside, with tapered spiral threads on the inside.
They work by cutting a thread on the *outside* of the nut, so after a bit of turning using a breaker bar, the grip they have on the troublesome nut is perfect and unable to ever slip.

Made of Mo-steel, and good quality, they cost a bomb for a few little sockets- $60, but a very good investment as they allowed access to hard to get at recessed bolts. They didnt even blunt a little bit after a few uses.
The thread repair guy's callout would have been more than that.

Will post a couple pics up. Highly reccommended if you have bought a car that's been abused a bit by previous workmen who overtightened as a rule.

Had to go to five different shops in town before i found anything like them though- they were not easy to find.
Spiff

Post by Spiff »

I've never removed these nuts, heaps easier to undo the ball joint nut on the steering knuckle, crack the taper & swing the whole strut out of the way.
Once the taper is released, use a pinch bar or jack handle between the chassis rail & swaybar, just above the middle of the 2 lower control arm inboard mounts, and then you can lever the whole lower control arm down easily until the taper & thread of the ball joint clears the hole in the steering knuckle (wheel hub mount) then swing the strut assy out off the CV shaft (obviously after removing large nut) and then forward out of the way to remove the shafts. Whithin 5 minutes from here it can be back on the ground.

Never had a manual the first time I did this, looks like it saved me some grief