N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

brake options - undecided

General chat related to anything N12.
robbo

brake options - undecided

Post by robbo »

Hi guys, currently I'm running the solid series 1 series front calipers with some decent pads, however at my GF's request I would like to upgrade the brakes. I've read the articles in the tech section, however I'm undecided as to what would be the easiest/most cost effective/least time off the road/give a decent improvement, etc etc

The options which are appealing are either the evo twin spot upgrade, the series 2 ventilated disks, or the ?magna? upgrade which has been mentioned, but doesn't have a tech article on what is needed to perform it?

Any assistance would be appreciated, thanks!
zoomzoom

Post by zoomzoom »

just go vented mate that the best in your case,under $500 with new disk and bearings, the evo and magna set ups ain't road legal as far as I know so if you ever go to sell wrc because a prob
evo set up is very front heavy but tass is and afew others are working on r31 pintra rear disk set ups to compensate this but again not street legal either so enter at your our risk, then theres an exa with bombadoor disk all round done as well

zoomzoom
tits'n' wheels gotta love'em
Callumgw

Post by Callumgw »

as said before, the only road legal version is the vented upgrade.
The others can be road legal, but you'd need and engineers report.
If it's a daily driver the vented is ample, in fact in Australia, when you stick to the 100kph limits even the solids are fine. That said, there fine as long as you don't do long curvey down hill roads at speed.

I might be better to invest in a good pad. Even though good pads aren't made for these brakes, you can have a similar pad cut to fit.

C
Valentich

Post by Valentich »

I am no expert,
but I have been speaking with brake shops about my brakes.
and I totally agree with Callumgw...
Put the prairie brakes on if you can find them....
Get a really good set of pads, (this is getting harder to find these days,
I was just told that Bendex has stopped making them, but you can, as said, get them made up....
Someone told me its also worth putting new fluid through.
The brake system is pretty good if its in good order...
And these days.... Its to much a f@#king pain to keep the cars legal and "cop" hassle free

. I have this crazy story about me being caught out one night,
. car on jacks, brakes where on metal for like a month, then being called for help....
. so I cut down some old Gemini pads and slipped them into a Honda prelude....
. It stayed that way for the next 3 weeks before I got to changing them.

Spend the money in stopping
As they say
"Spending money on your brakes is a pain,
SMASH.... Not spending money on your brakes is more of a pain"