N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

rocker clearences

General chat related to anything N12.
zoomzoom

rocker clearences

Post by zoomzoom »

had my engine rebuilt about 3000k ago sent it to the dyno shop to be wire up with a microtech and tune but they never reset the lifters after the dyno run so now I gotta do it but have know idea,how to go about it
I've got the manual out but it not much help,don't really know how to read it

0.28 for valve clearance cold for both sides,is that rite, if so how do I go about it I mean what sequins do I reset them in?
also its running ruff well idling timing is 5/ btdc

zoomzoom
tits'n' wheels gotta love'em
rimco

Post by rimco »

Gday I think you will find that tappetts need to be set at 0.22mm or .009in when cold, 0.28 is for hot set.
Easy way to set them is when no1 and no4 pistons are at TDC then the cyl that has the rockers rocking as in still moving then the other cyl should have loose rockers, adjust the loose rockers to spec, turn it 360 and do the same for the other cyl.
Once that is done use the same sequence to do cyl No2 and 3.
I think the timing should be set around 17 BTDC.
Hope this helps.
Alan Hatcher
zoomzoom

Post by zoomzoom »

cheers mate will get on to it over the weekend

zoomzoom
Damo

Post by Damo »

rimco wrote:Gday I think you will find that tappetts need to be set at 0.22mm or .009in when cold, 0.28 is for hot set.
Easy way to set them is when no1 and no4 pistons are at TDC then the cyl that has the rockers rocking as in still moving then the other cyl should have loose rockers, adjust the loose rockers to spec, turn it 360 and do the same for the other cyl.
Once that is done use the same sequence to do cyl No2 and 3.
I think the timing should be set around 17 BTDC.
Hope this helps.
Just to clarify a little, don't worry too much about getting cold clearance to a specific point, just use the hot setting of .28mm. The cold setting is supposed to be a assembly guide only, and frankly, it will only be set there until you reset them to their proper hot setting after 10mins idling.
Unless you are running an uber cam, there is only one crank setting you will need to find, TDC. With the engine hot/warm/operating temp, whip off the rocker cover. Turn the engine by hand to TDC. It will be in one of two possible positions, TDC compression #1 or TDC compression #4. If the rockers are loose on cylinder #1, it is TDC compression #1 and you can set inlet and exhaust on cyl #1, plus inlet #2, plus exhaust #3. If it is TDC compression #4 you can set #2 exhaust, plus #3 inlet, plus #4 inlet and exhaust.

Damo
Do humanity a favor, use your brain and fight the forces of WOO WOO!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1mrbxhWU5Y
zoomzoom

Post by zoomzoom »

fuck I love this form

zoomzoom
]