N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

Problem with standard computer?

General chat related to anything N12.
rimco

Problem with standard computer?

Post by rimco »

Guys.
First I would like to say this forum has been a great help on issues with my E15ET engine in my offroad race buggy. I have not been on here for long but is great for info.

Now my problem.
I took my buggy into town yesterday to put it on a dyno as it seems to be fuelling up and running a little rough when cold, runs much better at high revs, long story short, pulled of each plug lead and found no3 cylinder did not change engine note, removed plug and checked spark, o.k,
Checked all compressions, seem o.k 150,145,145,150.
Pulled of injector plugs and found no 3 had power but the pulse wire has constand signal unlike the others which pulse.
Does this mean the circuit board in the computer is fried or is something else wrong? If it is the computer does someone have one to sell to me I will pay for any express postage ect. I will need it before next weekend as I have a race in Bendigo.
I intend in the off season to fit bigger turbo, cams, injectors and also aftermarket computer, I am just trying to do the last 2 races of the year then go sick on it.
I will put some photos of it in my rides if it is o.k so you can see what I am playing with.
Although these are old engines there are still a few racing today and these engines would have won more races in Offroad Aus than any other engine.
Sorry about the long post.(lucky I kept it short.)

Cheers Alan
Alan Hatcher
Callumgw

Post by Callumgw »

Hi Allen,
These ecu's and wiring looms have a habit of behaving badly. Normal solutions are to clean each connection in the loom and load them with WD40. This doesn't always work.

I'm in Melbourne (Rosanna) and will have an ecu you could try. PM me Its propably too late to ship for a race this week.
80DGY2

Post by 80DGY2 »

hey mate

when you get around to aftermarket management, I have a Microtech LT8 v1.0 with loom.

I'm chasing $500 posted :)

Reply here or email bodgyman@live.co.uk

(the reason I keep pushing it here is that after speaking to old mate at Microtech, this will only suit a 4cyl nissan with a dizzy, not coilpacks)
Damo

Post by Damo »

Before you do anything too drastic, just check to see that you are indeed checking the injector harness. I'm assuming that you have the engine and loom in a different situation than the factory fitment to the poosar, and that may mean you have the loom in a different position. The injectors share a connector which is the same as the air bypass regulator thingo, and that would/may give a constant 12v to whatever it is connected to, also the water temp sensor has the same style plug and would do a similar thing. Check to see if all the injector plugs are the same colour (IIRC the water temp connector and the air bypass connector are a different colour to the injectors), and try swapping the injector plugs around to make sure they are all firing. Outside of that, I'd be probing the loom to make sure there are no broken wires between the injector end and the ECU.

Damo
Do humanity a favor, use your brain and fight the forces of WOO WOO!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1mrbxhWU5Y
rimco

Post by rimco »

Thanks Guys, I have another ECU to try should be here tommorow.
When I bought the engine the wiring loom was still all hooked up, it originally came out of a buggy anyway, all injector wires are taped together and in correct order, had problem with the WTS plug as well, one of the pins kept coming out of the plug, replaced plug o.k
I will let ou know it goes.
Alan Hatcher
rimco

Post by rimco »

Guys

Good news, new ecu turned up today, plugged in and bang away she went, never sounded so good.
You guys are right too, they must be mounted in high contact area in a EXA's as the second hand hand one has a few dings in it as well.
Moral of story if constant power to injecter pulse wire change ECU.
Of to the races Saturday.

Cheers Alan
Alan Hatcher