N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

Oil rings or valve stem seals?

General chat related to anything N12.
Damo

Post by Damo »

quote: Valve stem seals play a critical role in controlling valve lubrication as well as oil consumption. If the seals do not fit properly or are not installed correctly, the guides may be either starved for lubrication or flooded with oil. Either way, the engine is going to have problems - and you're going to have an unhappy customer and perhaps a warranty claim.

supertechperformance :quote

Welcome to the forum, we hope you enjoy your stay.
Although you may view this forum as a small insignificant collection of wannaby mechanics who like to 'tinker' in a hobby that they have no real understanding of, unlike obviously yourself. Let me assure you that there are a good couple of dozen 'Forum' mechanics here that will hand your ass to you (regarding the mechanical intricacies of the 'E' series) if you start sprouting off crap to feign your superiority.
Now, I may be wrong, and you may just be another enthusiast like the majority here, and for that I may have to apologize for my bluntness, BUT, your very first post you don't say 'hello' and introduce yourself, no, you managed to dig up a thread from 3 months ago in which the issue was resolved, state the obvious of a component that was replaced, as assumed that there was a specific way of installing the seal.
I have replaced the valve stem seals a couple of times on the 'E' series and its a doodle, the old one levers off, and the new one taps on. They have an interference fit over the top of the guide, and the seal is made on the stem via a standard spiral spring. If they come of the production line correct, I can't see where someone with half a brain would make a mistake.
BTW, the customer is himself, and I don't think that he is expecting a warranty from parts he installed for himself, on an engine that is 200,000k's+ old.

For the rest of the guys reading this, this 'person' has an attachment which links to a store in California who sell valve train components, funny that. Free advertising anyone!

Damo
Do humanity a favor, use your brain and fight the forces of WOO WOO!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1mrbxhWU5Y