N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

ecu

General chat related to anything N12.
poeticjustice88

ecu

Post by poeticjustice88 »

ok, im looking around and keeping my eyes open for a new ecu, just in case that is my problem.

microtech are the most popular to find second hand, as i cant afford brand new. the LT series would be better for me than the MT, simply cause its newer.

Having a look around ebay and there are a couple of them. I know to be wary with 2nd hand ecu's but at the moment i have no choice, unless someone wants to sell me one of theres :)

Just wondering, what ecu's should i keep an eye out for, which ones will suit the e15.

would any microtech out of a CA, SR,RB work ? Which ones are interchangeable with ours without having to get it reflashed. If i had to do that i would just get a brand newie for the price.

Just need to know what i can buy that will go straight in

Michael
poeticjustice88

Post by poeticjustice88 »

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/microtech-LT ... 3f18a910fd

this one here is what i am looking at at the moment, it is out of an MX6. Would this be suitable ?

Michael
zoomzoom

Post by zoomzoom »

lt 8 or better still lt 10 but it has to be config for a e15et or ca18 or sr20 then you got the x4 on top of that to run your coils
the one out of the mx6 has to go back to microtech for refig
the joys of running microtech

zoomzoom
tits'n' wheels gotta love'em
rosscotron

lol

Post by rosscotron »

any THAT is NOT cheap
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

LOL
It is for an L series tho itll bid up to around 450/550 id predict.
Add in 100+ for reconfig and suddenly its not looking quite so good.
However, LT's are current clobber and are supported.

Oracle
Forcd4 wrote:Oh fuk no dude it's you a again, the oracle.
Forcd4

Post by Forcd4 »

What about a hawk? I just wouldn't go cheap entry level as do a job do it right.... I've just never been a fan of micro? Personally I've never heard a good word unless it's from a rotor head. I've got no evidence to back it up though just my 2 cents.
" Friends may come and go but 200lbs is always 200lbs " - Henry Rolland -
80DGY2

Post by 80DGY2 »

So what do you lads reckon is fair for an LT-8? It's configured for an N12 (got it from a honda, sent it to microtech for reconfigure, never used since) and has some sort of loom, I presume it's from the Civic I got it from?

Any ideas?
Forcd4

Post by Forcd4 »

How do you send an ecu to get configured when not in car since every engine has its differences.? Or do they do like a start up map so it's at least drivable then get it retuned.....
80DGY2

Post by 80DGY2 »

Forcd4 wrote:How do you send an ecu to get configured when not in car since every engine has its differences.? Or do they do like a start up map so it's at least drivable then get it retuned.....
fucks me?

I got it from a bloke with a Honda, was told by a mate (who is a distributor that deals direct with microtech) that it would need some jiggery pokery with it, he sent it to them, it came back to me @ no charge (love job).

I also would presume it was a base map thing but I can't speculate as I don't know...

EDIT - when I said reconfigure, I didn't mean tuned. Possibly different crank triggers or inputs/outputs from Nissan and Honda?
Forcd4

Post by Forcd4 »

I wish I had that luxury with my wolf when first installed. Had to tandem that bitch, backwads cos the cooler was to close to the ground..... Fun times, I like the idea of a base map, no mashin the go pedal on your way to the tuner or you could be dodgen projectile pistons.
zoomzoom

Post by zoomzoom »

80DGY2 wrote:So what do you lads reckon is fair for an LT-8? It's configured for an N12 (got it from a honda, sent it to microtech for reconfigure, never used since) and has some sort of loom, I presume it's from the Civic I got it from?

Any ideas?
$550 with loom to sure $650 with hand control being plug and play that would be a fair deal

zoomzoom
tits'n' wheels gotta love'em
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

Nearly all the ecu makers can config your ecu and load a startup map sufficient in most cases to drive the car remarkably comfortably.
I know my old MT-8 camr from an FJ20et and it was simply wired up from new and was NEVER tuned in any way after installation. That old engine was raped from day one!

Thing with Microtech is, unlike EVERY other manufacturer, is they hide the CAS config tables so you have to send the ECU back to them to have it configged for different engines. They charge a lot of money for this most simple of tasks which to me is blatant price gouging. Its an expensive trap for the new players into the ECU market.

If youve ever had a look at a config screen for crank and cam triggering angles, there are only a couple of inputs that need to be entered and this job takes a couple of seconds at most if you already have the config. settings from a previou setup.
Its a little more tricky if you dont know your sensor types and triggering angles and the like but there are only a few different triggering schemes and 2 primary types of CAS sensors, magnetic reluctor and Hall effect/optical used across the entire range of engine manufacturers and Id doubt thered be any ECU manufacturer that does not have just about every engine config setup on file.
Even then, its not that hard to work it out from scratch.

Engines, regardless of the brand, and even highly modified, have very similar fuelling and ignition requirements and by using volumetric efficiency (VE%) tables, its quite easy to arrive at a surprisingly useful startup setup across a wide selection of engines just off a sheet of paper.

Even the addition of extremely large injectors, you pretty much just add in percentage fuel trim same as the percentage difference between the stock, and big injectors and away it goes!

With VE tables, if you already have spent shitloads on a nice tune, and you swap to larger injectors, you simply add into the VE tables the size of the new injectors in CC's and the ECU does the rest all for you!!!It will recalibrate itself accoring to whatever sized injectors happen to be loaded into it!

So, "BASE" maps loaded into a new ecu might well have been created on a sheet of paper with a calculator handy based on VE. Its THAT simple!!!!!

Oracle
80DGY2

Post by 80DGY2 »

I wouldn't quite say plug and play as I never installed it (life got in the way)

It has two flying leads, one has a 6pin plug and the other has a 4 pin plug but there seem to be more 'spaces/pins' than just the 10.

I have NFI - anyone care to enlighten me?
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

There are several unused pins. There will be a couple unused in the smaller 4 pin plug.
The unused ones in the bigger plug are usually aux in/outs that have not been configged from new.

L8r
E
80DGY2

Post by 80DGY2 »

sweet, I'll list it in the classifieds @ $500 posted with loom if anyone here is keen on it?

bodgyman@live.co.uk (I am here in oz)

cheers

Tom

EDIT