N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

box noise

General chat related to anything N12.
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

Mike
Hmmmm hard to say by the vid. Its not conclusive. Like most recordings. Its (of course) related to the input shaft/rotation.

I have some bearing chatter in my gearbox on idle. Goes away when you drive it. But thats like a tinkling rattling sound.
Its from the output shaft not being preloaded correctly.

What does it sound like when you drive it?

L8r
E
Forcd4 wrote:Oh fuk no dude it's you a again, the oracle.
poeticjustice88

Post by poeticjustice88 »

i dont want to drive it with this noise lol. call me old fashioned, but if something aint right, i dont use it.

Damos reply then was, "its not bearing chatter, its bearing fucked! "

working on it as we speak, will keep you updated

Michael
poeticjustice88

ok, so it turns out that the problem was oil. seriously. the mechanic told me to fill it up where there are two bolts for sensors (unused) and not at the filler plug. i didnt question this and went on my merry way.

looking at it tonight with damo, he was sure that the input shaft bearing was rooted. but when he said that the Gbox takes 2.7 litres of oil i told him i only managed to get 1.6L in. sceptical as we were about that being the problem, we threw in some more oil and HEY FUCKING PRESTO, no sound!!

which means i probably did not need to pull it out the second time to send it back which is rather annoying, but its in the past.

on a lighter note, new clutch feels great, nice and grabby, no other sounds that we noticed. bled the brakes and messed around while she was up on the jack stands.just some general tinkering.

found out it has un upgraded sway bar of some sort, rather large according to Damos reaction. i think he said it was 23mm instead of the standard 20. then he went into telling me the calculations for sway bars, like you have to take the diameter of the sway bar and multiply it by itself diameter wise. anywhoo, free upgrade, woot !

however. it seems my box is not the turbo box. Nor is the box that i bought off of dexi., as all the parts where interchanged. coincidence ? that mine was not turbo, and the box i thought was turbo actually isnt. OR, they are both the turbo model and the manual is wrong about how many teeth the NA and T models have .

could i please get someone to measure their box (teehee) for me. i need to find out how long it is. so if you go from where the bellmouth bolts to the box housing, to the furthest part of the box from there. on mine there is a little nub that sticks out just a fraction more than the rest of the box, so to there would be perfect. Damos is pretty sure there is a physical difference in size between the two turbo and NA boxes, so this woould most likely tell us what my two are.

never the less, damo is confident that all is good, so i am going to come back to it tomorrow, throw in some fresh oil, and make sure everything is good to go, and hopefully, i will have my car for the long weekend.

Michael.
dexi_styles

Post by dexi_styles »

They are turbo boxes. Same as mine.

Trust me the box out of the N/A it quite smaller.

I highly doubt it that these boxes are na because this would mean mine is too. I know mine is turbo box
http://forum.n12turbo.com/viewtopic.php?t=446 Benny's Old Dog....
Bringing New life to the Young Dog...
http://forum.n12turbo.com/viewtopic.php?t=348
rosscotron

OIL

Post by rosscotron »

Oil ??? ffs wow seems i wasnt much help for such a long drive and was a real shame i missed damo to have alook at my microtech because i really dont feel safe driving back down that far.

glad you got it sorted it out (you think) and cant imagine what would of happened if the car fell on ya.
poeticjustice88

haha cheers ross. you helped out enough man, as i said, because of my back, i dont have the strength to lift that box into the car, and then jiggle it around to slide onto the input. so for me the drive was worth it hahaha. we didnt get into until about 730 745. so it was a while after you left bro
Damo

Post by Damo »

Hmmm, need to get some clarification on this for sure.
At michaels place last night, with the car running there was obvious bearing noise being amplified through the bell housing with the clutch out, and it would cease in a couple of seconds on engagement. I would have put down wads of notes On that fact the the imput shaft bearing was cactus! Now I was under the assumption that the guys had done a n13 bits swap (which wasn't the case) , I initially thought that the outer case of one bearing had been install the inner race of another (couldn't remember exactly how the guts looked), so we had a look at the original box bits in the back of michaels other car. I the dark with just the boot light to see, at first glance the bits 'looked' too small for turbo box bits. But if figured that if the n13 bits went in, all should be good. After a bit more discussion I found out that n12 turbo bits were swapped! That made me very curious. The gears looked too narrow compared to what I have seen in the past. I whipped out the workshop manual and checked on teeth numbers (the workshop manual is from around 1985 so it "may" not contain all the relevant info for past 1985) turbo boxes had the 20 tooth pinion and 71 tooth crown, where the NA had 19 and 70. The bits we had pointed to the fact that they were NA items! From memory, the turbo gears and pinion are wider causing the body of the turbo box to be 30mm longer than the NA box, that and the fact that the gears Michael got from Dexi went straight in, indicates to me that both are NA. Is someone able to measure the width of the box from the mating surface between the bell housing and the body to the furthest external surface of the case, or the input shaft length from the end of the spline to the end of the bearing surface.

Damo
Do humanity a favor, use your brain and fight the forces of WOO WOO!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1mrbxhWU5Y
poeticjustice88

well got the car back home. no problems with the gearbox. but low and behold, my rev problem is still there !!!!!

i am starting to get over this haha
amraks

Post by amraks »

airleak or computer wiring.
Amraks