N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

box noise

General chat related to anything N12.
poeticjustice88

box noise

Post by poeticjustice88 »

ok just put my box back in with an NPC organic HD clutch, freshly faced flywheel.

If i start the car with the clutch pedal out, i get a loud grinding noise, as if trying to take off when you only half select a gear. it also makes this noise when i give the car a small rev in neutral with the clutch pedal out, but it does not make the noise with the pedal in.

any ideas at all what it could be ? fresh throw out bearing aswell, brand new Gbox oil

If you have an idea what it may be, please dont hesitate to call me as i am working on it as we speak. 0432450013

Michael
amraks

Post by amraks »

thats a throw bearing mate.

by the sounds of it.
Amraks
Timmzy

Post by Timmzy »

Is that the only thing you have done to your box?

Is it a 100% new thrust bearing or is it new from another car?

The thrust bearing should be under no load with your foot off the clutch, only when you place your foot on the clutch does that bearing come under load. ENsure its adjusted with a relaxed cable when your foot is off the clutch.

The problem you describe is EXACTLY what my old box did in the car. Could start and run OK with foot on clutch but if you took it off the noise would appear - grinding and grabbing.

I decided to take it for a drive and got it out of 1st and into 2nd and the whole box locked up - stopped the engine dead and threw me into the steering wheel.

I have been told by other members on here that its probably a dropped selector fork, but I haven't pulled it apart to check.

I would get another box if I were you. PLace your effort into getting the current box out ONLY IF YOU ARE SURE ITS NOTHING TO DO WITH THRUST BEARING OR ENGINE MOUNTS!!!

:)
sorry to be the bearer of bad news.........
Darren.
Race it.
poeticjustice88

brand new thrust bearing 100% and the box has just been rebuilt, i will be putting up a clip of the sound very shortly, just keep in mind that the noise is not as loud as the clip portrays. its echoing through the shed i am in.

i think its either the thrust bearing, or the clutch disk is in the wrong way round
amraks

Post by amraks »

I discovered my box was making a grind noise today.

while idling was told its a throw/thrust bearing gone, when you put the clutch in it stops.

but also it comes and goes I assuming its because my gearbox has a leak.
and the oil was low.
Amraks
amraks

Post by amraks »

Timmyz I had a diff lock up in my Subaru once we forgot to insert the shims when converting a liberty diff with Forster internals ate the crown wheel and planetary gears was a mess.
Amraks
poeticjustice88

i am having trouble uploading the file. i am trying to figure out if it is worth paying for a tow to the mechanic, or pulling it all back out. grrrr
amraks

Post by amraks »

pull it out yourself and give your self experience lol.

Just hope this isn't your daily drive.
Amraks
Damo

Post by Damo »

Hey Michael, a box which makes noise with clutch out (adjusted correctly) is a input shaft bearing. But bear in mind, thats just a noise, not grinding! And it doesn't happen overnight, a bearing like that takes a long while to get damaged enough to make a heap of noise.
It sounds more like an over selection drama (which reads more like an assembly fuck up in your case!) in which a selector has popped off its fork and semi engaged a gear.
With the engine off, select all gears one at a time including reverse. This will (if the box has over selected) push the gear all the way on. Put the engine back into neutral, and with foot on the clutch, start the engine. With the engine running, let out the clutch slowly. If it stalls with the selector in neutral, it has over selected and the box will need to be pulled apart to fix it. If it doesn't stall, but still makes the grinding noise, there may be a bolt or something loose in the box causing the grinding.

Note to all as Timzy has stated, if you have over selected a gear (usually it ends up being 3rd/4th gear synchro) don't go fishing for gears with the car moving as you will lock the box and probably break it.

Damo
Do humanity a favor, use your brain and fight the forces of WOO WOO!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1mrbxhWU5Y
Timmzy

Post by Timmzy »

Hey poet,

If it is that condition of the box and its dropped a fork don't flat tow it - the box could lock up on you at any time mate.

I'd spend your time getting the current one out. Even if its a minor issue with clutch the box still needs to come out.

Look for a 2nd hand one and check the gear selection and input shaft before you install - that's all I could do.... I understand your pain.

And if you are going to drive it in that condition - put your seat belt on :) Cos I had a bruise on my head after that...

Good luck.
Darren.
Race it.
poeticjustice88

hey damo, dont forget, the internals of the box have all been swapped, without trying to confuse everyone and myself, my box (1) and the box i got off of dexi (2).

we are using the casing of (1) with the internals of (2) and my fifth from (1)

so there is a chance that the input shaft bearing could be flogged out as it was not my one.

would there be any chance that i could have yourself damo, or dexi, or someone close that knows boxes to come and have a listen to it. i know that regardless i still have to pull the box out, but my mechanic wants me to yank it and send it to him, or get the car towed to him so that he can fix what needs to be done. and if it is not the input shaft bearing and it is something that i can fix my self with a simple adjustment, i dont want to have to pay someone to do that for me, IE clutch disk on the wrong way or my thrust bearing making the noise.

Michael
poeticjustice88

can anyone tell me torque settings for flywheel, and also for pressure plate ?
poeticjustice88

found the torque settings, but i cant get my hands on a wrench for tomorrow.

now i know this is not how it is meant to be done. but would rattling them up be sufficient ?
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

DO NOT rattle up flywheel bolts. Bolt stretching beytond their yeilds and possible breaking can happen, especially at a later date when they get hot and cold in as few cycles.

In fact never rattle up anything! rattle gus are for removing shite.

The flywheel bolts are not very big and are not tensioned up as much as youd think.
In the tech section or just search it.

Oracle
Forcd4 wrote:Oh fuk no dude it's you a again, the oracle.
poeticjustice88

58-65 ft lb is what i have found. fuck if i can find a torque wrench to borrow for tomorrow though