N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

Strut Tops

General chat related to anything N12.
Timmzy

Strut Tops

Post by Timmzy »

Hi,

Does anyone know if the N12 pulsar strut tops are similar or the same as S13 or Datsun 1600 (510) ?

I am trying to source some adjustable camber/castor tops for the front end struts.

ANy info would be helpful.

Darren.
Race it.
Callumgw

Post by Callumgw »

oh good, this is something I had breifly looked at several times, but never progressed. I use the lower bolts to trim camber and would be interested in get castor adjustment from the tops.

I think I have a drawing set from the guy who built the strut braces that shows the hole design and things...so that might make it easy to campare with 510 and s13.

I think someone installed s13 ones by drilling new holes in the towers...not what I would recommend.

C

has your email changed? if not I'll send those CAD files to you.
Timmzy

Post by Timmzy »

Hi C,

Yeah thanks for that.

Although from the digging I have done so far, the footprint for the struts is different - this should confirm that.

Also - I was more interested in camber initially, and from what I have experienced castor settings seem to be pretty damn close. More positive castor on our front ends won't benefit as much as you would think, compared the camber/spring/swaybar experiment I currently have planned.

My issue is those little camber bolts (which I have ordered to arrive this week) may mean that my 17inch tyres touch the strut. I therefore need to move the top of strut inward (with adjustable camber tops) or the bottom outward (with a newly designed rose jointed spindle setup)

Thus not requiring those camber bolts - if I can get the settings correct. They will be a quick fix for me atm, because I may possibly have destroyed $700 worth of tyres last weekend :( but the guy at Stuckey's reckons he can "fix" them - which should be interesting.

Excellent motivation for a solution hey???? :)

Darren.
Race it.
Callumgw

Post by Callumgw »

yep, I get it. The other advantage of the strut top is a stiffer upper mount and less strut wiggle - one more squishy bit removed! the next would be the lower control arm and strengthening that cantilever mounting member.....

if you install the camber bolt in the lower hole there's less chance of strut strike.

Whats your current camber?
What tyre pressure did you run?
What was your toe?

C
Timmzy

Post by Timmzy »

OKay - noted with placing bolt in lower hole. ALthough it shall be interesting to see what the clearance is.

Whats your current camber? Not sure. close to zero
What tyre pressure did you run? Fronts 28PSI cold which translates to 34 hot. Rear 25 which translates to 31 hot. Rears were perfect.
What was your toe? Toe out. not sure how much.

Going in for an alignment check Saturday - before i put the bolts in because stuckeys want to know the settings to determine what happened.

Darren.
Race it.
Callumgw

Post by Callumgw »

cool,
front sounds a little low, tyre deformation on longer sweepers might cause shoulder loss. - But if its the same left-right it might not be that because PI would wear right first.
dynamic camber change might also be a issue, by that I refer to the normal MacStrut issue of being too low cause positive camber gain - and I figured a while back that we're pretty close to that with a normally lower car in the static postion!

But since this hasn't been an issue at Sandown or Winton then maybe linked with long high speed stuff at PI....in which case maybe bushes are too soft (strut top, lower control arm etc)
Callumgw

Post by Callumgw »

From my last wheel alignment (after rear adjustment installed):
Callumgw wrote: Got the wheel alignment done, the rear has TONNES of alignment now. I've dialed in 1mm toe out per side and -0.7 deg camber. Hopefully the toe will aid turn in and the camber add grip mid and exit. I decided on these as a start from some on line reading. See how we go.

The other thing that I'd like to adjust is front caster. At the moment mine is 0 on one side and 1 on the other, which obviously aint good. I'd like to get both to 2-3 degrees I reckon.

C
Timmzy

Post by Timmzy »

Interesting - the right side was slightly worse, but not by much.

Bushes are definantly and issue, so is camber so is dynamic loading of the struts. Additionally I haven't used these tyres on the front at Sandown or Winton yet so it should be interesting.

Basically the tyres cannot take another session in that condition, they will simply delaminate. So I have to do what I can before Sandown and take my Archilles 123 tyres to Sandown as a backup. If the Dunlop are trying to destroy themselves OR the camber isn't or correct OR something goes wrong with the above - I'd rather wreck those 123's.

Front end bushes may be a stretch before sandown (10th June)

Whiteline camber bolts arrived today so Ill get the lineup done Saturday - hopefully test it out on my "test" track.

Drren.
Race it.
Callumgw

Post by Callumgw »

so how'd it go?