N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

water pipe

General chat related to anything N12.
poeticjustice88

water pipe

Post by poeticjustice88 »

hey all just wondering if anyone has had this problem.

the water pipe that comes out of the water pump on the bottom left of the engine (looking from the front of the car) usually comes straight out from the engine, and has a seperate connection for the heater hose.

however on my car, that water pipe has been bent 90 degrees and points towards the passenger side of the car, because of this, my new stainless steel exhaust manifold will not fit as it hits this pipe.

does anyone know if there is a way to remove that pipe and replace it ? or am i stuck with it ?

poeticjustice88

water pipe

this is not my engine, but on the left you can see the water pipe i am talking about. on this it comes straight out, and would not cause me a problem.

However on my car, that water pipe is bent around and is running nearly flush with the engine. so it is sitting directly underneath the exhaust manifold.

this is the only thing stopping me getting my new setup on the car. grr

Michael
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

yer its the stock heater hose connection. theree is a short length of rubber hose off that 16mm pipe and that connects to a steel pipe that runs across the front of the engine, below the manifold and on around to the heater.

Youll need to extract that pipe from the block and its held in with really hard setting sealant. Take the engine mount off the block to help.
I get them out by heating the crap out of them with a blue-tongued spanner and errrr "help" them out by some gentle thumping with a soft mallet and pulling/twisting on the pipe with big multigrips.
Then you can delete that small pipe or rotate the whole thing or whatever you need to do.

Dont bash the life out of that bigger pipe if you want to use it again. That pipe has been machined down where it plugs into the block and if you distort it, it wont prerss firmly back in again and youll have to buy a new one.

When you refit it ENSURE that the inside of the housing where the pipe presses in is completely clean and pushh the pipe back in using Stag jointing past or some other hard setting type of goo.
There is a notch in the pipe bend where you use a drift to drive it home.

Have fun
E
Forcd4 wrote:Oh fuk no dude it's you a again, the oracle.
poeticjustice88

water pipe

hey tass, thanks for the quick reply. just having a look on the interwebs at the moment, it doesnt seem that bunnings stocks the stag jointing paste. as they are my local, that is where i will get it from, are you able to tell me of another brand that you know bunnings has, or may have ?

i just dont want to use the wrong stuff and have a problem later on.

also, is it worth replacing that pipe with a new pipe ? or just reusing the original one ? if so, and i know this is a harder question to answer, would you be able to tell me what type of pipe i should get dimensions wise ?

Thanks again,

Michael.
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

Mike/
Stag jointing past can be had from any auto parts shop. Repco have it. I bought some just yesterday. You MUST use some from of jointing compound that sets hard!!!

That pipe is pressed into the block and glued in using the jointing compound. So long as the end is not munted when removing it youll be fine to use it agai. but remember, only the interferance fit and some Stag is what holds it in there.

Whether you can buy those pipes new from Nissan or not is unknown. Youd have to try.
However, you could have something made out of some pipe slightly larger than the hole in the block and have it machine to a light interferance fit and fashion your own.

Cheers
E
Forcd4 wrote:Oh fuk no dude it's you a again, the oracle.
poeticjustice88

well it turns out that nissan are no longer able to get this pipe for me, so it looks like I have to get one made

grrr
Michael
n12mo

Post by n12mo »

Hi this may help you part no. is 21045

You can order it straight from japan if you don't mind waiting a couple of weeks for shipping.

Have posted this under a separate thread the other day, If you haven't seen the link here it is again. Any part can be orderd.
(If a part isn't in stock, it won't be listed at all)

http://nissan.epc-data.com/

You will have to create an account with them and then just pay with a debt card.
I have used this site for other parts(Mitsubishi Section) and was very happy as parts only took two weeks to get here. I'm amazed that they still stock parts this many years later at all, especially for our n12's.

Cheers
N12mo