N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

another issue

General chat related to anything N12.
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

Well, bring it down here. Only a 12 hour drive to melb, overnight on the ferry and 4 hours to Hobart!!!!

M8, my advise now is to pull the entire loom out. Its not hard, and sort it out on the bench with everything done right and sorted.

Its showing some very strange things done previously and IMHO should be corrected BEFORE you bother go any further with it.
I can understand why anybody is reluctant to do anything with it.

L8r
Oracle
Forcd4 wrote:Oh fuk no dude it's you a again, the oracle.
poeticjustice88

Post by poeticjustice88 »

a rewire is definately on the menu. its just hard cause i have never done it, so i would be very nervous doing it, but the other thing is, this is my daily.

yeah i know when it breaks down i would need to find my way around anyway, but its hard to plan it if you know what i mean

Michael
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

Ahh yer I see. Dind know it was a daily..... Thats makes it a little tougher.

L8r
Oracle
poeticjustice88

ok i have been trying to pay close attention to what the car is doing when it farts about. to try and narrow it down.

EX : sitting at lights, idling nice, go to take off and it wont rev, past a certain amount of pedal, not much, maybe enough to bring revs to 2500 ish, so a very light tap. The idle dies and it fluffs around at 300 or so for a couple of secs, then pushes itself back to idling at 1450 and i have power again. I remain having power throughout all of my gears all the way to fifth. There is no hesitation, no coughing, it drives great. as soon as i come off the pedal to either brake or slow down, the problem will present itself again while cruising. so as soon as i try and pick up a tiny bit of speed, or stay at speed, the problem is back. Only this time, because i am rolling all i have to do is keep my foot down a little. This will cause the car to cough about and not put any power down, and for 3-4 secs it coughs, then comes perfectly good again and drives like normal.

When i keep my foot down on the gas, just a little, doesnt have to be much, it sounds alot like i am missing a plug or injector. however because the car can run relatively well with one plug off, i am thinking injector.

While keeping my foot down, everything acts normal, revs dont pluse about on the tacho, which is a direct feed from my coil. Also the turbo spools. It doesnt hit full boost or anything as i am only around 2200-2500 RPM, but i can hear it trying to boost up.

This causes me to think that i may possibly, apart from the wiring of course, have either or sticky or blocked injector. which sprays perfectly fine when i tell it to give me more power ( through all the gears after the lights ) but as soon as i tell it to idle, it has trouble spraying the petrol out until X amount of pressure is behind it.

So it is possible to have an injector that simply doesnt want to spray at low rpm, but when it starts spraying it behaves perfectly fine ?

Or maybe a small blockage ?

I do apologise for the long post, I am simply trying to be as descriptive as possible.

Michael
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

In short, highly unlikely.
However, if the injector drivers are suffering due to dodgey wiring, which this thing obviously has then, its in the frame.

However, we do know that the wiring has been done incorrectly before we begin.

Where is the manifold source fed from for the ECU?
is it shared with anything else?

L8r
Oracle
poeticjustice88

By manifold source, you mean the vacuum line into the ECU ?

It does have a T-Piece on that line, but it is blocked off and nothing else runs off that line

Michael
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

Where does the source come from and get rid of any joints and tee pieces.

oracle
poeticjustice88

Having a look at the microtech website, they have mt/lt8 looms for $165. Is this my best choice for a new loom, or making one?

Michael
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

Only you can answer that M8.

Id not be getting to frisky just yet until you extract the existing loom, unwrap it and lay it out. The loom my be fine and just need sorting out which would be my advice.
Ill almost bet youll find those missing injector driver leads tucked up inside the loom somewhere as well.

Once you have the thing laid out, it becomes much clearer as to what needs to be done.

Just compare the colours in the loom with the colours on the diagramme.
I know it looks complicated but in reality it isnt. Think the complexity of installing a new rockbox headuynit.

I suggest you set a day in a few weeks time, buy beer, steak, sausages, salad and bread rolls and put on a tech day for ALL the guys up there at your place.
Ply Damo with food, beer and whatever else, get the other guys together and make something of it. Hell, bring the women, brother, ya mum..whoever.
Id predict armed with a couple of rolls of different coloured wire, new selection of injector/cas/sensor plugs and some electrical tape, cable ties and platic tubing, add Damos multimeter, soldering iron and electrical tech savvy, the ENTIRE job should take in the vicinity of 2 hours from opening the cars doors to first test start.
The knowledge all you guys will gain from Damo will be well worth the cost of beer and barbie I can ssure you.
I know youll get a few of them who are "just sooo busy" that weekend, or the real clanger "dont know what Im doing" in 3 weeks time but those loosers are to be treated as such.
Very RARELY indeed can ANY lamb roast at mum and dads, or hot date or sundry pissup on a saturday or Sunday afternoon not be postponed with some advance notice and ANYBODY who says "oh I dunno what Im doing" is simply saying, "well I might come around if nothing BETTER comes up in the meantime".
People who use that excuse with me can simply get fucked and stay away and I will never offer to them again. Youll find out who the keen ones are!!! You might get 2 or 3 but THEY are the ones worth bothering with and the ones who want to learn from a very smart guy who I have a serious amount of time and respect for.

Thats my advice and a couple of dudes with Damo leading the technical way, some beer and a barbie and a couple of blokes who all have a common intereste in these cool but often negelected little cars will learn something and at very least, have a bloody nice time of it.

/rant!

oracle
poeticjustice88

well in that case, ill send you a date, and you get your old ass up here for a GOOD time...

With any luck, all the guys up here will come along, and hell, might even let the wife out fo the cage for the day!

Thanks greatly for the input tass, greatly appreciated i can assure you.

Now, when is your next weekend off ?! :P
Time you come out of the closet and stop being a hermit, and dont use the "I'm in Tassie" excuse, as you said to me, its only a 12hour drive and a 4 hour ferry. Start packing!

Michael
Damo

Post by Damo »

Having a bit of a think about this today, have you tried running the car without the hand piece and dongle attached to the Microleb? I am seriously considering external influence of the hand controller as a drama. Because, when the engine is playing up, there are no readings from the sensors that are out of whack. Eliminate this as a cause. Run the engine without the controller and dongle attached and see if it plays up.

Damo
Do humanity a favor, use your brain and fight the forces of WOO WOO!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1mrbxhWU5Y
poeticjustice88

will do man, however, driving it all day today for work, and it has not played up yet, it gave me a lot of hell yesterday, but today seems to be ok. will remove the handset and keep you updated.

Michael
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

Injector wiring is ghetto Damo.
Its not using 2 of its injector drivers.
Lord only knows how its been wired. If the 2 banks of injecotrs are wired parrallel then the ECU will be seeing barely an ohm resistance...... not wonderful. Overheated drivers anybody???

Check out the pix of the plugs Mike posted.

L8r
E
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

poeticjustice88 wrote:well in that case, ill send you a date, and you get your old ass up here for a GOOD time...

With any luck, all the guys up here will come along, and hell, might even let the wife out fo the cage for the day!

Time you come out of the closet and stop being a hermit, and dont use the "I'm in Tassie" excuse, as you said to me, its only a 12hour drive and a 4 hour ferry. Start packing!

Michael
Heheheheh you knever know what youll get!!!!!!
Cheers
E
xr6eta

Post by xr6eta »

tassuperkart wrote:
poeticjustice88 wrote:well in that case, ill send you a date, and you get your old ass up here for a GOOD time...

Michael
Heheheheh you knever know what youll get!!!!!!
Cheers
E
Just don't put him up in a caravan park, he can still get his wrinkly old arse kicked out like an 18yr old. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: