N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

another issue

General chat related to anything N12.
poeticjustice88

dizzy

Post by poeticjustice88 »

yeah man, not nearly as often though, pops and farts a tenth of the amount it used to, and has only cut out on my once since putting in the new coil. i am going to mess around today and try the new coil with your dizzy and see if there is any change
dexi_styles

Post by dexi_styles »

How olds the dual filter?

The splatters I think is fuel
http://forum.n12turbo.com/viewtopic.php?t=446 Benny's Old Dog....
Bringing New life to the Young Dog...
http://forum.n12turbo.com/viewtopic.php?t=348
poeticjustice88

filter

dual filter ?

the bosch external is only about 2 months old, the metal fuel filter in the engine bay is about the 2 1/2
poeticjustice88

removed my external bosch 070 and surge tank this afternoon, hoping that may be my problem. but no, no its never that easy is it. at least i dont have the drone of the fuel pump in the back of my head when i drive now.

spent hours with damo tonight trying to figure this shit out. still no luck.
the computer was set to 5 cylinder config and when we found it, we started hoping and praying that would be the answer to my issues. but no, once again that would have been too easy.

i did drive beautifully about 5 mins down the road after we changed it, then it started pissing and farting again.

i dont know how to best describe what it is doing, but i will try again in case it helps to identify the problem.

there are two things its doing. one of them is not letting me rev past around 2000 rpm when i put my foot on the accelerator. it revs nice up until 2000 and then it feels like someone has turned the key off, it just cuts out until i lift my foot and it idles perfectly fine again. sometimes it coughs around the 400-500 rpm mark if i hold my foot down for too long. i can get it to rev past 2000 if i slowly put my foot down, it has a little trouble but it keeps climbing as long as i keep the foot light on the pedal.

the second is very similiar. try to go past 2000 thereabouts but instead of cutting out, it backfires really fast. not with a "bang" but like a quick succession of backfires, as if its getting all the fuel it need but not the spark. when it does this, if i keep my foot down on the gas it usually pushes through it and comes good so i can keep driving.

both of these scenarios only happen when i get back on the accelerator. so at a set of lights, or after a gear change. i cant seem to recall if they have ever happened when i was on the gas, like going up a hill. so i figure that might be relevant to this.

i am desperate for help with this, as i am unable to drive it. If i dont get it resolved VERY soon, i am going to have to part with it, as it is affecting my work. so please, anyone that may have an idea, please come forward, i want to keep the beast

Michael
poeticjustice88

ideas

any chance anyones got more ideas ? i got all day tomorrow to work on it, so i am going to try damn near everything i can.
dexi_styles

Post by dexi_styles »

dexi_styles wrote:How olds the fuel filter?

The splatters I think is fuel
There fixed
poeticjustice88

yeah its pretty much brand new. found another split in one of my ignition leads. not confident that its the problem, but never know. are there any preferences for leads ? 6mm, 8mm, 10mm, wank factor, or doesnt matter ?
dexi_styles

Post by dexi_styles »

poeticjustice88 wrote:yeah its pretty much brand new. found another split in one of my ignition leads. not confident that its the problem, but never know. are there any preferences for leads ? 6mm, 8mm, 10mm, wank factor, or doesnt matter ?
Prob Just stick to 8mm its all I got

Dex
xr6eta

Post by xr6eta »

Mate if you've removed the external pump, then you must have had your fuel lines to the fuel pressure reg off at some stage. Are you sure they have been put back on correctly, easy mistake to make and I'm absolutely sure this was the problem when mine did exactly the same thing. It's only the 2 lines, one to the top and one to the side but this is exactly what mine was doing and that is what the problem was.
poeticjustice88

this problem started long before i removed the external pump and tank. none the less, i will be looking into it. thanks
Damo

Post by Damo »

Hey Michael, not sure if you got my PM on Sunday morning.

I'd be replacing the spark leads (which it sounds like you are doing), get some lead dividers to keep the leads from physically touching (don't have the bastards taped together), isolate the fuel pump so you can run the Microtech test (firing plugs and injectors @ 1800rpm, set the cylinder # to zero), watch for the light show.
Failing that, swap over to Dexi's distributor, pull back your loom to single wires and re-tape it all.

If that still turns up not helping, may need to do the same trick to your chopper wheel 'we' did to Glen's.
Glenn, do you remember wether we enlarged the leading or trailing edge of the home trigger?

Damo
Do humanity a favor, use your brain and fight the forces of WOO WOO!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1mrbxhWU5Y
poeticjustice88

just did my leads and it drove awesome for hours, but now it is farting again, but i am nearly certain it is fuel. if im on the gas it drives great, if i am cruising and go to put my foot down, it spits and burgles then comes to life with in a couple of secs. same with at lights, im not on the gas, just idling. put my foot down to go and it farts and carries on then comes to life.

i found that if i am on the highway and it starts farting when i tap the gas, if i drop it back to fourth and just give it enough to increase cruise speed it comes back to life. so i am really starting to think it may be fuel pressure, or FPR
n12et_exa

Post by n12et_exa »

only thing i can think of is maybe the relays on the fuse box could be stuffed you know the 2 green and one black(thats what i have in my 84 exa) and the ones under the bonnet drivers side
poeticjustice88

When I run the microtech config, my tacho reads 3600, but the manual says it should be firing at 1800
BennyET

Post by BennyET »

poeticjustice88 wrote:just did my leads and it drove awesome for hours, but now it is farting again, but i am nearly certain it is fuel. if im on the gas it drives great, if i am cruising and go to put my foot down, it spits and burgles then comes to life with in a couple of secs. same with at lights, im not on the gas, just idling. put my foot down to go and it farts and carries on then comes to life.

i found that if i am on the highway and it starts farting when i tap the gas, if i drop it back to fourth and just give it enough to increase cruise speed it comes back to life. so i am really starting to think it may be fuel pressure, or FPR
had a very similar prob with my rb, the fpr was actually loose where it is pressed together. i could spin the top half while holding the bottom! yeah now i think of it exact same issues you're describing.
I understand the need for conformity. Without a concise set of rules to follow we would probably all have to resort to common sense.