N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

another issue

General chat related to anything N12.
poeticjustice88

another issue

Post by poeticjustice88 »

alright people, michael here again, having another random problem

i am not too sure how to explain this perfectly, so please bare with me!

apart from starting cold in the mornings, the engine runs and drives fine most of the time. recently however, when i put my foot on the loud pedal, and try to go over 2000 RPM, the engine cuts out.

It does this anytime it wants, not on the highway, but just normal street driving, will be driving fine, and then will not rev, or sustain higher revs than AROUND 2000 RPM

this morning sitting at the lights, idling fine, have not had an issue at all this morning, until i went to take off, and as soon as i reved to 2000, it tries to die on me. If i lift my foot, it goes back to idle and runs fine, however if i try to take off again it tries to die, then it comes good after 5 -10 secs (usually) and i can drive it.

the engine sounds like it is trying to rev past 2000 but it sounds like it has a 2 step or launch control and just farts and coughs.

my spark plugs are fine, as are the leads, rotor button and dizzy are fine. the only things i can think of are that one of my injectors is failing at random times, whether it be that the injector is not working mechanically, IE not pushing out the fuel, or electronically, not getting a signal. Or i was thinking maybe my timing? but if it was timing it would be constant problem no?

if anyone has an idea i would love to hear it, as i dont want it to just die on me in peak hour traffic.

also, any thoughts on whether it could be the potentiometer in the TPS?
Thanks in advance,

Michael
Andjeti

Post by Andjeti »

Sounds like a classic case of ECU plugs to me.

Jay
"Dog's go Woof Woof. Wog's go Doof Doof"
ET Turbo Decal Reproductions
poeticjustice88

would that happen with microtech ?

i know the standard ecu was renowned for it, but mine is MT8 microtech
n12et_exa

Post by n12et_exa »

check your dizzy mate i had the same problem i checked everything and thats what it ended up being in my case
Damo

Post by Damo »

I'll come past tomorrow night mate. It will be something simple. Bloody Microtechs :roll: :roll: :roll:

Damo
Do humanity a favor, use your brain and fight the forces of WOO WOO!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1mrbxhWU5Y
xr6eta

Post by xr6eta »

Damo wrote:I'll come past tomorrow night mate. It will be something simple. Bloody Microtechs :roll: :roll: :roll:

Damo

Ah young DAMO, you've seen all this before. Was this the chopper wheel issue in mine at Barton or whatever the first issue was in Belconnen. Exactly the same symptoms as the first time in Belco I think but don't remember what we did, car would idle fine but wouldn't launch. I know you'll work it out. Will keep an eye out. Are you still coming down or is it called off.
15exa
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 15exa »

just had to swap out the dizzy in minecoz of the exact same problem, mt was throwing out hom and ref errors

guessing you dont have a hand controller to verify though?
poeticjustice88

Yeah man I got a hand controller. But damo is the magician, not me. Just got towed home. My mechanic brother told me to undo my tps and see how it goes. It went well, got me 20 minutes down the highway. But when I stopped to get fuel at the servo, the problem had come back. So I figured the safest option was a truck. I hope to god you can fox this damo lol. My girlfriends car just blew its engine, so my car is only means of transport foe the both of us, we both work 9till5, but she cant drive my pulsar because its manual and turbo, so this will be hell if you cant help, tried to call you,earlier, before the truck arrived, but I will talk to you tomorrow man.

Thanks all
Michael'
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

CAS Im guessing.

Damo, if there are any random changes in the "tune/config" then you better start looking for RFI or earth loops. The latter is crucial.

L8r
Oracle
Forcd4 wrote:Oh fuk no dude it's you a again, the oracle.
Damo

Post by Damo »

tassuperkart wrote:CAS Im guessing.

Damo, if there are any random changes in the "tune/config" then you better start looking for RFI or earth loops. The latter is crucial.

L8r
Oracle
Rodger rodger. I haven't even seen the wiring to the unit, so will sus that out if possible.
It was a good thing to witness first hand on Glens car a problem which seemed to evolve rather than happen from the beginning, gave me a little insight to how the ecu deals with certain things.

Damo
Do humanity a favor, use your brain and fight the forces of WOO WOO!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1mrbxhWU5Y
poeticjustice88

well a couple of hours spent with damo, and no luck so far

its acting strange. started and ran when we first got in it. fixed a couple of things that should not have affected it, now wont start.

but its also trying to start after i turn the key off after cranking. after cranking, and it doesnt start, you turn the key off and the engine still pops and what not as if its trying to.

hopefully tomorrow will be a clear day and can shed some light on this situation.

Michael
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

Damo, how does the system perform in test mode?
With the ecu running in test mode, crank the engine over and look for spark weakness

Oracle
Forcd4 wrote:Oh fuk no dude it's you a again, the oracle.
poeticjustice88

Still doing it. Has come and gone since I got the tow home, but now it is doing it more frequently. Dexi is bringing down a new dizzy fire me, so heres to hoping. Ihave spoken to several mechanics and my tuner and the only ideas so far are cas or fuel pressure. Gawddddd I just want this sorted
poeticjustice88

New dizzy was of no help. Didn't make any change to the car, however when on the test drive my ignition coil died, so I went down and got a new one, chucked it in and the car drove phenomenally, no hesitation, drove like a new car. Drove like that for about avn hour, turned it off for 10 minutes, then went back. It did not drive as flawlessly, a little hesitation here and there, but an improvement
dexi_styles

Post by dexi_styles »

poeticjustice88 wrote:New dizzy was of no help. Didn't make any change to the car, however when on the test drive my ignition coil died, so I went down and got a new one, chucked it in and the car drove phenomenally, no hesitation, drove like a new car. Drove like that for about avn hour, turned it off for 10 minutes, then went back. It did not drive as flawlessly, a little hesitation here and there, but an improvement
I was gonna shoot you a msg on Sat to see how things where going.

So it's still cutting is it?

Dex
http://forum.n12turbo.com/viewtopic.php?t=446 Benny's Old Dog....
Bringing New life to the Young Dog...
http://forum.n12turbo.com/viewtopic.php?t=348