N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

waste gate ?

General chat related to anything N12.
Damo

Post by Damo »

I am fully aware of the response curve of a NB O2 sensor which makes it a brilliant indicator of rich/lean condition only (which is why I suggested it). I would not and have not recommended this as a tuning tool as it would be like trying to thread a needle with a hammer. I only pointed out to Michael that it makes a useful device to keep track of where the fuel system is becoming undersized or when a pump is on the way out.

I suggested to Michael that he should put a bung in the dump (as there was no provision made in the dump for the sensor) so we could give it a road tune with the Tech edge wideband Lambda controller and sensor I had run in the Poosar.

It may have been my miscommunication to Michael, but the kit I suggested to him is not the same as the wideband I have.

E, you know full well that I wouldn't tune using a $15 NB gauge and also know that I have posted up a few youtube vids of the correction I used on E85 with the wideband on the Poosar. So yes, even I can afford one! :wink:

I fully agree with you about the limitations of the NB, but think that even these have a place in keeping tabs on a boosted engine outside the dyno shed.

Damo
Do humanity a favor, use your brain and fight the forces of WOO WOO!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1mrbxhWU5Y
poeticjustice88

Post by poeticjustice88 »

No miscommunication Damo, i am full aware it is not the same as the wideband
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

The ONLY notice i will give to a NBo2 display is the one where it sits in the "rich" zone. But where in the rich zone?? i dont know and neither does anybody else for that matter.
If the middle leds light up, your already into the danger zone at anything apart from a lean cruise and if a lean light glows your possibly already into deep shit. Period.
Thay are toys, little more little less. Again as useful as an rpm meter on your fuel pump!!!

Oracle.
Forcd4 wrote:Oh fuk no dude it's you a again, the oracle.
poeticjustice88

Post by poeticjustice88 »

so your saying its not a good idea to be able to see if you are running lean or rich ? even by a minimal amount due to the non accurate measurements that a NB02 meter can give you?

i understand your argument, saying that they are useless. but i would rather have one that shows running lean. than not have one at all and not know about it
Damo

Post by Damo »

tassuperkart wrote:The ONLY notice i will give to a NBo2 display is the one where it sits in the "rich" zone. But where in the rich zone?? i dont know and neither does anybody else for that matter.
Again as useful as an rpm meter on your fuel pump!!!

Oracle.
Thats exactly it. You don't need to know how rich it is, as long as its rich enough not to light anything but the rich end of the gauge.
There is a trimpot to adjust the voltage sweep and I had set mine up to show the Red LEDs when full rich, the first 4-5 yellow LEDs when richer than stoich, and below that was when it would pass 1 lambda into lean which was off scale past the green LEDs before you could blink. I ended setting mine up with flat AA battery, 800mA was the simulated output I used to set the red LEDs lit.
So when boosting around, anytime there was a flicker of ANY colour other than red I'd step out of it pronto. There was no need to look at any gauge (the LEDs are bright enough to see without looking at them and you notice the change to yellow pretty quick), or read any digital display, or expect that nothing could possibly go wrong with fueling system on the car after a dyno session. I would be off the loud peddle quicker than a wideband would update its display.

I know we disagree on this, but IMHO it is a way better than the multitude of other gauges that people stick on their rides to show irrelevant operating parameters.

I also understand that your argument is to prevent noobs from grenading their engine because they are expecting far more from the device than they are going to get.

So,

To all out there considering a O2 meter, this device is in no way a substitute for any form of a proper wideband tuning device. It is just a gauge to indicate rich or lean.

Damo
Do humanity a favor, use your brain and fight the forces of WOO WOO!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1mrbxhWU5Y
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

I paid 175 for an AEM WBo2 sensor and display. Shows an analogue sweep and a digital reading.
Its actually useful!!!! NB stuff is best left in the catalogue!!!! LMAO!

I make a compelling argument dont i!!!!!!!!!!!

Oracle
nz_n12turbo

Post by nz_n12turbo »

on the topic of wbo2 has anyone used a techedge 2y setup im looking at one but i wanna know other peoples thoughts
thanks
casey
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

Techedge stuff, as a rule, gets very good reviews and i know of many of them used professionally.

I originally looked at the 2Y kit but in the end, i could not be stuffed assembling and calibrating it.

I use a 2CO.

L8r
Oracle.