N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

waste gate ?

General chat related to anything N12.
poeticjustice88

waste gate ?

Post by poeticjustice88 »

alright, once again i am in dire need of help from the n12 community.

Replaced my exhaust manifold gasket and my turbo exhaust gasket today. not the dump pipe gasket, the other one :P and now i am having an issue that no one can seem to help me with

everything is back on the car, and all is connected properly as best i can tell.
But i am getting ZERO boost. the turbo is spinning freely, all the intercooler pipes are connected and the engine runs fine, it just runs as a non turbo.

i called MTA (Mr Turbo Australia) and he had no idea, then i consulted the wisdom of Dexi_Styles. Who had a thought that maybe my wastegate was busted ?

took it for a drive tonight, and i get about 3 PSI at high revs. Could it be my actuator can on the wastegate ? or the internal components of the gate? any help or thoughts would be great.

Thanks in advance
Michael
ctchme

Post by ctchme »

this is going to sound a bit amateur but is the hose from the wastegate to the turbo housing on correctly? and free of leaks? also check that the wastegate arm isnt frozen open
1984 Exa, T2 turbo, 8psi, adjustable fpr, 850cc injectors, megasquirt 2 ecu, E85 fuel, black dash, black boot and bonnet, 14's wrapped in 215/50 BF Goodrich tyres
shanec86
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shanec86 »

Having the hose incorrectly on the wastegate, as in, not at all, will cause the car to overboost if anything. I'd be double checking that the wastegate is not stuck open.

Otherwise if your sure that the intercooler hoses are all connected properly, is there no splits in the hose joiners? they may only open up on boost
Damo

Post by Damo »

Sorted guys.

The wastegate flap was touching the inside of the dump pipe. There was enough play in the placement of the dump to cause the flap to become jammed when bleeding exhaust off.

We fixed a few other things with the combo. The spare electrical harness in the bay was for the TPS, the two pins were touching causing the ecu to see idle condition, and the idle fuel maps for load were 'monster' rich causing the shithouse fuel consumption. Adjusted the CAS offset to bring the dizzy back to center of its travel. Locked the timing and re-set the base timing to 10deg (was actually more like 5-6deg). Michael will have to put a O2 sensor bung in the dump as there is no O2 sensor there ATM, it will make tuning possible and then he can keep an eye on his own mixtures.

Damo
Do humanity a favor, use your brain and fight the forces of WOO WOO!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1mrbxhWU5Y
xr6eta

Post by xr6eta »

Damo wrote:Sorted guys.

The wastegate flap was touching the inside of the dump pipe. There was enough play in the placement of the dump to cause the flap to become jammed when bleeding exhaust off.

We fixed a few other things with the combo. The spare electrical harness in the bay was for the TPS, the two pins were touching causing the ecu to see idle condition, and the idle fuel maps for load were 'monster' rich causing the shithouse fuel consumption. Adjusted the CAS offset to bring the dizzy back to center of its travel. Locked the timing and re-set the base timing to 10deg (was actually more like 5-6deg). Michael will have to put a O2 sensor bung in the dump as there is no O2 sensor there ATM, it will make tuning possible and then he can keep an eye on his own mixtures.

Damo
What did I tell you, what this man doesn't know about N12's is not worth knowing. The only reason you'll have shit fuel consumption now is because he'll have you changing gears around 7000rpm everytime. Not such a bad thing I guess. Come back to Canberra DAMO, the public servants miss you.
Damo

Post by Damo »

All this time, and I thought cars were different to women!
With cars, you can ride someone else' one without your ride getting upset (unlike women), you can ogle at other cars without you ride becoming jealous (unlike women), and you can talk to your mates about how well she handles over the bumps without your ride getting cranky (unlike women). But Glen, why do I feel so dirty now that I have had my hands on another besides yours? :D :D I just hope your ride doesn't throw a leg out of bed when she finds out I have been unfaithful!

Damo

xr6eta

Post by xr6eta »

It's all good mate, blokes make up over a beer which is something chicks just don't seem to grasp. It's good to see the rest of the fraternity seeing something good come out of Canberra.

Hope nobody minds the thread being hijacked now the issues have been solved. If they do, send me your address, I'll post you 50 cents to call someone who gives a fuck. :) :) :)
poeticjustice88

i will never so no to money :P start posting...

but seriously though, Damo did me the world of good. i would have to say i probably see another 20-30 KW out of the road tune he has done, and the overall driveability of the car has changed tenfold. it's like a new car.

However Damo, you did turn down my offers for be several times during the night, this concerns me :P haha

But you have made such a huge difference to it, and given me some great insight to these engines and their capabilities.

Thank you kind sir
Michael
dexi_styles

Post by dexi_styles »

It's good to see you found the problem. It's great you learnt stuff off Damo, it would of been good to listen to someone with knowledge with his head under the hood

Dex
http://forum.n12turbo.com/viewtopic.php?t=446 Benny's Old Dog....
Bringing New life to the Young Dog...
http://forum.n12turbo.com/viewtopic.php?t=348
Damo

Post by Damo »

poeticjustice88 wrote:
But you have made such a huge difference to it, and given me some great insight to these engines and their capabilities.

Thank you kind sir
Michael

No probs, it just feels good to throw a couple of spanners around again, and to test out the ol noggin.
What we were doing on Friday is far from a road tune though (thats what you need the bung in the exhaust for, wideband O2 road tune :D :D ), we were doing a tune up, making sure things were as they should be. It is surprising how much difference it can make to the way a engine behaves.

Didn't have enough time to check your valve clearance, so that will be on the list for next time. Download and print a copy of the Microleb tuning manual during the week so you can become familiar with the screens and functions.
Also, keep you ears peeled for detonation when your into it, I didn't have a decent look at your timing values and I would be a little careful until we know how much injector/pump headroom you have.

Factory turbo engine are pretty hardy bits of gear, as long as you can keep the fuel up to them, keep the charge cool and the exhaust flowing, drinking 98pump fuel there is no reason you can't run 25psi.

Damo

poeticjustice88

however so tempting as it is to run 25 psi through the girl, dont think i will be doing that, i have always been an avid supporter of "more boost doesn't mean more power"

maybe when i know how the engine acts in the future, ill feed her some more go juice.

she is down getting the steering rack done at the moment. i went to replace the rack ends on her, and when i pulled the boot back pieces of metal bearing case it looked like, started dropping, so i said "OFF to a pro!"

went and got the jaycar A/F gauge. will be setting that up shortly.

thank you again damo, and the rest of n12\
Michael
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

ENSURE that the jaycar AF guage is based on a UEGO or similar WIDEBAND sensor.
If notm your wasting your money on what amouts to some bling.

Narrow band AF guages are about as useful as and rpm meter on your fuel pump.

l8r
Oracle
Forcd4 wrote:Oh fuk no dude it's you a again, the oracle.
poeticjustice88

its the same one that damo is using, he suggested i get one, so i followed the commandments like a good disciple
Damo

Post by Damo »

tassuperkart wrote:ENSURE that the jaycar AF guage is based on a UEGO or similar WIDEBAND sensor.
If notm your wasting your money on what amouts to some bling.

Narrow band AF guages are about as useful as and rpm meter on your fuel pump.

l8r
Oracle
I would have to disagree with you old fruit. The simple $15 1 volt 10LED monitor (mixture meter) wired to a narrow band O2 sensor would have to be the best 'six pack' money you could possibly spend on gauges, period! Any old single wire $10 wrecker O2 sensor will do.
'Bling'? hardly, did you ever see my combo, my bay wiring looked like it was spewed up by a car eating dinosaur, bling was the last thing on my mind.

I would put the importance of a simple O2 meter in the same league as a oil pressure gauge.

By all means, when someone becomes competent with the readings they are are looking at, and know the difference between fueling requirements at WOT 1.5k 0vac and WOT 6k 15psi, no probs. But until then the simple rich/lean characteristics of the O2 meter is of far greater benefit.

Dub that to a set of Red and yellow LED's and you don't even need to be looking at the gauge to know whats happening, which is what I'd want if I had the boot into it.

Also while on the topic, I would consider a needle Lambda gauge a better option than a digital read out, far easier to read as a permanent gauge than the digital. But for tuning, a digital readout with temperature compensation (which not all wideband wannabies do!) is essential.

So there! :D

Damo

tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

rebuttal:

Nope sorry Damo. Narrow band af meters are functionally useless at ANYTHING apart from 14.7

Have a look at the response curve of a NB sensor in terms of AFR V's Voltage and you might NOT be so enthusiastic about reccommending them to ANYBODY apart from the most experienced of tuners out there.
You might have a wealth of experience using them and letting them tell you nothing more than that you are at 14.7 but for the less experienced, they are a recipie for disaster as far as a tuning tool.

They are little more than some fancy lights on the dash that will CORRECTLY indicate 14.7 afr, "something" too rich or, advise you that you just grenaded your engine. hey, yay!

As a tuning device, they are USELESS!
I would equate this to an oil pressure light on the dash that comes on at 2 psi! bewdy! The light came on so my engine is already rooted but hey, I only paid a couple of bucks for the priveledge!!!

Sorry m8, reliable WBo2 displays are relatively cheap these days and ANYBODY who entertains even the slightest notion of having a go at tuning his/her EFI system should invest in one. Even YOU!

PS, I have 2 of them.

L8r
Oracle
Forcd4 wrote:Oh fuk no dude it's you a again, the oracle.