N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

Car/Idle Hunting - NOW FIXED!

General chat related to anything N12.
Deano Exa

Car/Idle Hunting - NOW FIXED!

Post by Deano Exa »

Hey guys,

I just replaced the o-rings to my injectors. Put the fuel rail all back together. now when the car is running on idle, it hunts (like it normally would with a big cam) but now it hunts so much it stalls.

This may be a stupid question, but if the rail was not put back properly, in order to make a tight connection between the injectors and the block, could this cause it to have an air leak and subsequent rough on low revs/hunting/stalling? Insitu, the injectors can be swiveled around... is this right or should they be tight between the rail and block?

Nothing else on the car has been touched? i have checked all plugs to afm, vac lines, intercooler piping, bov etc and they are all good.

Cheers

Dean
Last edited by Deano Exa on Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deano Exa

Post by Deano Exa »

All Sorted!!

Just in case anyone ever has this problem, check to make sure there are no air leaks in the injectors, it will make the car run and idle like shit!

I loosened the bolts which hold the custom fuel rail, pulled on the back of it, pushing the injectors tight against the block, then tightened the bolts back up. I replaced the fuel filter just for good measure also, and she is running like a dream :-)

Cheers
Deano
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

In addition to deanos thoughts, As with any flow meter (MAF) style efi system, it is CRUCIAL to happy running that there are NO air leaks anywhere between the airflow meter and the inlet valves.
This includes ANY engine breathers and PCV systems.

Not enough emphasis can be put on this subject and many, many crappy running faults can be traced back to leaking pipework and dodgey vents, bov and breather/catchan setups.

Remember EVERY cc of air that gets into the cylinders, and this includes vents, catchcans, PCV's and so-on MUST come thru the airflow meter.

happy days
Oracle
Forcd4 wrote:Oh fuk no dude it's you a again, the oracle.
Cherry Boy

Post by Cherry Boy »

On the back of this, what use is the pipe that come from the rocer cover near the drivers side not the one that has the PCV, as I bough my car with the AFM relo already done and who ever did it decided to bung a breather on that side of the rocker cover. Getting to the point; will this effect my idleing as i assume the engine is getting some sort of air through that pipe which is not run trhough the AFM.

Thanks

S
tassuperkart wrote:In addition to deanos thoughts, As with any flow meter (MAF) style efi system, it is CRUCIAL to happy running that there are NO air leaks anywhere between the airflow meter and the inlet valves.
This includes ANY engine breathers and PCV systems.

Not enough emphasis can be put on this subject and many, many crappy running faults can be traced back to leaking pipework and dodgey vents, bov and breather/catchan setups.

Remember EVERY cc of air that gets into the cylinders, and this includes vents, catchcans, PCV's and so-on MUST come thru the airflow meter.

happy days
Oracle