N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

Starter motor?

General chat related to anything N12.
lovelessnator

Starter motor?

Post by lovelessnator »

Hey guys my starter motor was making a grinding noise an I was told the bendix was worn an the starter motor gear wasn't getin on to the bendix gear teeth, I replaced the bendix gear then went to start the car an the same thing happend! Could it be that the starter motor isn't engaging properly? Is there a way I can test it to see if this is the case?

Cheers
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

Youll find that most likely, your flywheel ring gear is damaged. It allows the starter to spin up too fast to allow the teeth to engage and the just grind away.
Another cause less common is the ringear itself actually shifting on the flywheel, moving further away from the starter. I have seen ringears WELDED to the flywheels!!! Ive got one here like that!!!

Some guys have had success with elongating the startermotor bolt holes to slide the starter closer to the ringear.
Ensure the elongation is the same on both holes to maintain correct gearteeth alignment.

Another tack is to fit a starter relay to ensure that the starter solenoid is getting full current to "throw" hard enough to prevent the teeth clashing. may not help now but more a preventative measure.

Apart from fitting a new ringear, some guys have resorted to rotating the flywheel one bolt hole so the starter "sees" a different section of undamaged ringear when the motor comes to rest. It always stops in certain positions and so the damage is always greater in these areas.

L8r
E
Forcd4 wrote:Oh fuk no dude it's you a again, the oracle.
lovelessnator

Post by lovelessnator »

ok well ive replaced the ring gear on the flywheel and its been heated up an pressed on over as far as it can go an tack welded of to ensure its not slippin/moving. ive also rotated the fly wheel to the next bolt hole an still no luck.. maybe the teeth on the starter motor might be worn enough that its not catching the flywheel?? the only other thing i can think of is the starter motor is just not fully engaging..
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

Well, its not engaging at all m8. Thats why it grinds.
If youve had the bendix drive replaced then you should have a new pinion gear as well.
seems you have a drama with the starter itself.

have fun.
l8r
E
Forcd4 wrote:Oh fuk no dude it's you a again, the oracle.
lovelessnator

Post by lovelessnator »

Ok cool I'll pull the starter motor out an have a look see if anythin is sus! Just one more question you said about it maybe not getting full power to engage fully, well the battery I have in the car hasn't got much charge in it could that be causing an issue?
sgs

Post by sgs »

the solinoid throws out the pinion gear before the motor begins turning so no, its not your battery. when the pinion gear is fully out a large copper washer bridges two contacts making the motor turn.

just pull it apart, they are dead simple. just make sure that when you put it together you get the little fork thingy that pushes the gear out back in the same way it went in.
lovelessnator

Post by lovelessnator »

Ok I'll have ago at that, cheers mate