N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

What makes a STREET car quicker, kw or Torque?

General chat related to anything N12.
samual

What makes a STREET car quicker, kw or Torque?

Post by samual »

Hey guys.

Just wanted to see other peoples thinking on this question.

What makes a useable steret car quicker KW's or torque?

Reason i ask as Jacoturbo's Kick arse looking EXA's dyno sheet

VERES MINE

Please dont think this is about WHO HAS THE BETTER CAR.

Just wanted to know as he has more kw but mine has more torque.
ctchme

Post by ctchme »

in short, more torque means you accelerate faster, more hp means your able to get a higher speed, hence why front wheel drive turbo's like ours have torque steer, because we accelerate off the line faster, after looking at your dyno sheet, you have a faster car off the line, but he is capable of getting to a higher speed
samual

Post by samual »

Thanks mate.

Thats pretty much what I thought.

By the way I have still not fitted those side skirts I brought of you.

But will do one day.
Andjeti

Post by Andjeti »

ctchme wrote:in short, more torque means you accelerate faster, more hp means your able to get a higher speed, hence why front wheel drive turbo's like ours have torque steer, because we accelerate off the line faster, after looking at your dyno sheet, you have a faster car off the line, but he is capable of getting to a higher speed
Old school theories of the differences between Torque & Power. In short, on a dyno this thinking is usually correct, in the real world this is not always the case (assuming the same gearbox/diff ratios and wheel/tyre sizes).

I got an exam on all this kind of stuff today, so once I finish that I'll post a more detailed reply, studying my ass off at the moment.
"Dog's go Woof Woof. Wog's go Doof Doof"
ET Turbo Decal Reproductions
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

ctchme wrote:in short, more torque means you accelerate faster, more hp means your able to get a higher speed, hence why front wheel drive turbo's like ours have torque steer, because we accelerate off the line faster, after looking at your dyno sheet, you have a faster car off the line, but he is capable of getting to a higher speed
Old wives tale. Torque and power meanings are basically lost in colloquial terms!
Such as a torquey engine will grunt up a long hill easier but the high POWER engine will accellerate faster... both true but the real meanings have been obscured in bollocks.

Put simply, horsepower is just a mathematical equasion of torque and RPM.
So what your interested in is what RPM the torque peak is. And of course how wide the torque spread is.

Put very very simply, if both engines produced the same torque, but one is produced 1000rpm higher, then that higer rpm one will show highest horsepower.

Dyno graphs do NOT tell much of a story at all and only serve as a guide to what is going on but will reveal little in the way the actual engine performs on the road.

L8r
E
Forcd4 wrote:Oh fuk no dude it's you a again, the oracle.
Damo

Post by Damo »

tassuperkart wrote:
Old wives tale. Torque and power meanings are basically lost in colloquial terms!
Such as a torquey engine will grunt up a long hill easier but the high POWER engine will accellerate faster... both true but the real meanings have been obscured in bollocks.

Put simply, horsepower is just a mathematical equasion of torque and RPM.
So what your interested in is what RPM the torque peak is. And of course how wide the torque spread is.

Put very very simply, if both engines produced the same torque, but one is produced 1000rpm higher, then that higer rpm one will show highest horsepower.

Dyno graphs do NOT tell much of a story at all and only serve as a guide to what is going on but will reveal little in the way the actual engine performs on the road.

L8r
E
The only thing I would disagree with there is the dyno graph paragraph. If you know how to read a dyno graph rather than the numbers, a graph can reveal a whole lot of info of how the engine behaves, especially if you know the ramp rate and know the gear being used. The only other major thing to consider would be the mass of the car the engine is pushing around.
Add a afr trace, boost reference and a inlet temp log, and you should have everything you need to work out exactly what is holding the engine back from more power.

I was actually going to make mention that that dyno graph show the turbo is way on the large size for the engine. Max torque at 5k, peak power at 6k. Swap to a s15 bb and make the same peak torque 1000rpm earlier.

Damo
Do humanity a favor, use your brain and fight the forces of WOO WOO!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1mrbxhWU5Y
photoglossy

Post by photoglossy »

I think the bigger question is, where did you bring the side skirts to?
samual wrote:By the way I have still not fitted those side skirts I brought of you
Please use correct english :)
This one pisses me off big time haha