N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

Gearbox issues

General chat related to anything N12.
CET60

Gearbox issues

Post by CET60 »

Does anyone know of a place around qld that has rebuilt a n12 gearbox to fit n13 internals. Or has built a box that can handle at least 200hp
zoomzoom

Post by zoomzoom »

fat chance mate it more a back gardyard mod have a like at tass's thread he got a hybred n12 n13 box bit easier

zoomzoom
tits'n' wheels gotta love'em
Damo

Post by Damo »

I would argue that a standard n12 box could cope with 200hp. A lot of it has to do with driving style. The standard n12 turbo box casing takes the n13 gearset without modification. The diff centre is a different matter, it will not physicaly fit in the n12 case. So, to make it work, the n13 crown gear needs to be swapped onto the n12 centre.

Damo
Do humanity a favor, use your brain and fight the forces of WOO WOO!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1mrbxhWU5Y
chezza

box

Post by chezza »

So then does this make the box any better?
Keep cherry turbo's goin
zoomzoom

Post by zoomzoom »

if you only looking for 200 hp why bother like Damo said the stock box is good for 200kw atw

zoomzoom
congers87@hotmail.com

Post by congers87@hotmail.com »

People have claimed to chew through less boxes after merging the N13 gearset. I think I have heard banter on this forum about nissan using better metallurgy in the N13 box. Personally I couldn't tell you. Learn to use the search tool on here and I'm sure you can dig up some shit from past conversations.

Chris
Mortein kills 99% of household bugs. Chuck Norris kills 100% of whatever the fuck he likes.
Damo

Re: box

Post by Damo »

chezza wrote:So then does this make the box any better?
I would say yes for a least two reasons: 1, the n13 set is younger and designed with a heavier more powerful car/engine in mind. 2, the final drive ratio is lower reducing torque applied directly to the gears (sort of). In my experience of breaking 3 3rd/4th synchro hubs on the standard n12 turbo cluster shaft, going to the younger stronger n13, I have yet to break one. Now, if burns and reverse doughies are your thing, this may not be the case! One thing to remember also, it's torque which breaks things, not hp!
Damo

Timmzy

r

Post by Timmzy »

Hey Damo,

I remember something about that metalurgy discussion and also the fact that the N13 are younger and designed for a heavier car with a higher capacity engine.

Do you think there is any merit in what Evan has done (with option2)?

IE
Option 1 is: Use N12 bell housing, N12 gearcase, N13 gearset with N13 crown
Option 2 is: Use N12 bell housing, N13 gearcase, N13 gearset with N13 crown, but with slight mod to engine mount to accomodate N13 gearcase.

Reason I ask is that from past conversations I have taken the N12 casing and mounts as the main problem with these gearbox's (excluding abuse) for failure. Therfore if improvements were made to the N13 casing - and using the assumption that its younger and using better technology given weight and engine capacity - this would make Evans conversion theoretically better than option 1?

Do you get me or have I just fucked it up and confused everyone?

Darren.
Race it.
zoomzoom

Post by zoomzoom »

for my money option 2 is the way to go think about it all your doing really is putting an adaptor plate on the n13 box [the n12 bell housing] hell of alot less work and every thing were it was from factory in side the box
plenty of meret there to start with yeah
but then n14 gears can be worked in there to but that's something I still researching wanting and auto the guy that bourt Con's old Et said something about it having n13 n14 bits in the gearbox

zoomzoom
Timmzy

Post by Timmzy »

zoomo,

Yeah youre right - you can theoretically adapt whatever you want if you make the pattern/adapter plate around that housing. Some time ago someone was cahttering on about adapting some sort of FWD toyota indestructable box onto the bell housing.

From memory Con wouldn't disclose what was in his gearbox for whatever reason, hopefully he passed the info onto the new owner?

I'm thinking of doing the N13 converson, but the way Evan did it option 2 above. I think its the best way. THrow in a set of bearing and seals, and that is the best we can do without big $$$ or big time to adapt something else.

Works well for me because I have engine mount issues, so a rework was on the cards there anyway.

Darren.
Race it.
zoomzoom

Post by zoomzoom »

it's my next mod, more for the long jebity than anything,30 yr old box v's 20 year old box

A great man named SHEBEY desinged and built a car many years ago with the idea that a working class man could aford it drive it to work all week and go racing on the weekends,he still had and drove the first one off the line it he died,ripped seats and all
ok so the EXA is no priceless AC SHELBEY COBRA and if i ever get to drive a real one i'll be more than happy to sit in the passinger seat,[dreams]

anyway want the same with my exa putt putt all week to work and thrash the shit out of it on the track every other weekend,like the n12 ment for,and not feel like a british bike owner pushing it home lol

zoomzoom
Damo

Post by Damo »

If you were going the whole hog and doing new seals and bearings and bothering to get the correct shim, probably doing the synchros while your in there, n12 bell housing with the n13 case would be best use of everything that's there. But for a quick throw together, after near on 10years a straight swap the good bits from a scrap metal yard n13 box into my abused n12 box has not missed a beat! I think the only thing I was keen on swapping out was the input shaft bearing as it was even noisy turning it by hand.
I would think that the few extra years of r+d in the n13 box 'may' extend to better materials. I know sure s shit that the n13 case has thicker webbing cast into it. I also have a n14 box which I never got around to stripping down, or even comparing closely, stand back 3 metres and you can't tell one from the other, but I'll put a wager that the n14 is stronger again. Stocker 1.6ltrs were making 90kw and weighed in at 1200ish.

Damo