N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

Do i need the log?

General chat related to anything N12.
Dinwoodie

Do i need the log?

Post by Dinwoodie »

Hey everyone,
I am doing my intercooler and t25 this morning and was going to put the afm into the cooler piping for flutter, but i dont know what happens with the log, do i need it in the setup, will the car run without it?
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

Car will run ok without it but youll loose all your idle speed compensation.
itll shit you having to throttle it up when colad after a while.

Why dont you just cut the short section of the log out that contains the idle valves and insert it somewhere in your piping?

best of both worlds.

l8r
Oracle
Forcd4 wrote:Oh fuk no dude it's you a again, the oracle.
Dinwoodie

Post by Dinwoodie »

No dramas mate

I have the short section of the log cut out already, but i didn't know if it could go into the intercooler piping like the afm can.

The cold start section of the log has to be between the AFM and the throttle body right?
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

Yep
Oracle
zoomzoom

Post by zoomzoom »

or bye the lt8 on ebay http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Microtech-LT ... 1e66bd0d27 there was one last nite $350 bye now

zoomzoom
tits'n' wheels gotta love'em
Dinwoodie

Post by Dinwoodie »

Not a bad option Zoomzoom, anything else that has to be bought in order for the microtech to work (besides a tune)?

Are they something you have to get tuned by a professional or is it something i can learn about and do myself?

Jordz
zoomzoom

Post by zoomzoom »

up to you mate you can splys and dice the loom it comes with or you can wait a day and get a new loom from microtech for $180
as for installing and tune look around the site plenty of info think there mite bit a basic map or two on here if you look hard either lots of owns on here got them so hand controler or usb toggle to self tune,most of the time you get one with it if second hand ,which a lt8 will be.
your just do as i did when I got the LT10 and x4 and hand over a fistful of dollars
but my engine cost me my right nut so wasn't going to screw around with things
so have yourself a look and you decide which way to go DIY or DYNO

ZoomZoom
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

If your going to boost its arse off then using something aftermarket is fine but if your going to run it around closer to stock boost, say 10 to 12psi then its not worth the money and bother.

Microtechs are so old and outdated now with next to no configurable aux inputs and outputs. A bare bones alternative to stock.
Oh wow, one aux useful for a fan and a single PWM output (IF its enabled) to run a shitty old single wire solenoid idle valve... whoopee!

If you want to play with the bigger and more sophisticated boys, then you need to move on from those ancient old ECUs into something with a bit of capability.
Thing is, you need to be prepared to pay a bit more for it but youll get what you need and plenty more!

Yes, Ill be using an even OLDER MT-8. But thats because i got it for next to nothing ready to go off an FJ20 with multiple coils and thats the ONLY reason Im going to use it over the even older EMS Ti-4 im using successfully now.

So before you go unloading 350 odd on an ECU, another 150+ on a loom and so-on, for a few hundred more, you can have the very latest with enough auxilixries to run a city not to mention closed loop fuelling, boost control and idle control.

Just my thoughts men.

l8r
E

L8r
E
zoomzoom

Post by zoomzoom »

true there are better ecu's out there that have all these things for afew hundred dollars more but at the end of the day do you really need anything more then something that will run bigger injectors more and boost for $20 from ebay
ok o they hunt at the lights if they start hot,i find with that i just hold it at 1100/1200rpm if i stuck there to long it gets over it
haltech sprint 500 next bet thing $1200 new or and old eg6x for around $700
we drive 25 year old jap shit boxes
the comp is worth more than the car even if you do good all out with paint and bling it never going to be worth more than $5000
so bling bigger turbo or enough aux's to run a city

gotta put thigs in perspective mate

zoomzoom
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

zoomzoom wrote:

gotta put thigs in perspective mate

zoomzoom
PRECISELY.

And that is precisely WHY you go for something that will work and work first time and importantly does NOT hunt at idle, (thats just shit tuning anyway) WILL run smoothly when cold and generally make you feel good about the car.

When the time comes to unload the car, you simply take your ECU and loom with you and configure it for the new application.

You cannot take your Microtech with you unless its another 4 cylinder Nissan with the same config or ignition and Mictrotech WILL NOT reflash older M series ECU's. Let alone repair them.
Lastly, you will NOT score even an old M series with a loom for under 350 bucks unless your seriously lucky or the seller is seriously stupid.

THAT is in perspective.

L8r
Oracle
zoomzoom

Post by zoomzoom »

so i got on to mocro tech about there ecu as tass say MT8 can't be reflash,but the lt8 can be for 250/350 bepending on the car it came from stick to a nissan 4 banger and all good just loom and tune need
loom $165 to your door plus tune or 1100 for a lt10 plug and play
plus tune but if you got that sort of money to spend go haltech sprint 500
so if you got the money to spends,spend it.but if you want to keep the price down lt8 out of a nissan four banger and put it in yourself

ps mirotech still fix and reconfiger lt8s

zoomzoom
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

LT's and on are microtechs new architecture ECU's.

They use a very limited old CPU in the earlier stuff and they are seriously challenged just to do anything apart from fuel and ignition.

Its fair to say that they were originally developed to run a drag rotor but there is no such thing as a "specifically" bettere ECU for a rotor of a piston banger.

Market forced forced them to finaally upgrade their clobber to the LT level with laptop connectivity.

What i dont like about Microtech is their insistence on programming a given ECU to one CAS type only and then charging an arm and a leg to change the config so something else. having the ECU non-configurable by the user is pretty average. This is blatant gouging in my view.

They still use a fairly antiquated CPU and electronic architecture making the systems pretty mundane and limited to a few simple peripheral functions and this is not enough to justtify the initial cost which at the end of the day is not that competitive against others which will more or less sing god save the queen in 3 speeds.

Im not bashing Microtech in any way as I have been using them successfully for many years and they seem to be reliable in the field apart from the fuel pump relay driver circuit.
I just feel the initial high cost v's lack of any sophisticated features which just about everything else is loaded with stock should price the systems down nearer to about 750 all in new.

For instance, my Adaptronic 420c comes with launch control, traction control, anti-lag, pit lane speed limiter, "push to pass" function along with the ability to run closed loop fuel, ignition and idle control as well as full time adaptive tuning writing directly to the VE tables as opposed to writing corrections." Fly by wire" throttle control and the ability to run every concieveable kind of solenoid valve and stepper motor which results in at LEAST as good behaviour as the OEM ecu and the list of features and enhancements is almost endless in a sub 100 dollar ecu.

Cant do any better than that.

Makes a 500 dollar second hand microtech LT8 which can turn your engine fan on and off seem mighty agricultural in comparison dont you think?

Anywhoo 'Nuff said.
Oracle
zoomzoom

Post by zoomzoom »

only,where can i get a sub 100 ecu with such a name in tip top working order? cause i want one if it better than what i got now LT10s with x4

zoomzoom
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

Adaptronic 440 Select.
Will blow the LT10 into the weeds 5 times over.
In fact will blow nearly all of them up to 3 times the cost into the weeds.
Autronic?? pff! Motec....pffft!

Some time in the future, im going to go upmarket to a 1280. $ 1900 all in.
This bastard just about install itself.

L8r
Oracle
zoomzoom

Post by zoomzoom »

we don't all race mate

zoomzoom