N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

car cutting out

General chat related to anything N12.
ziddy0786

car cutting out

Post by ziddy0786 »

Today took the car out and started cutting out on me and 10seconds later it would be fine then keeps doing it any ideas its really pissing me off and also loud bangs out of the exhurst??? And also lack of power drives like non turbo
Kimmo

Post by Kimmo »

Check for corrosion inside the dizzy cap, check all hoses for leaks - splits, loose clamps and shit.

Dunno what would be causing the backfire.
ziddy0786

Post by ziddy0786 »

Thanks kimmo

Could the actuator cause. This to happpen?
zoomzoom

Post by zoomzoom »

nop the actuator only opens the waste gate,sounds like you lossing spark,i'd be putting spare dizzy cap on new leads and resetting my timing,dizzy cap the place to start though

zoomzoom
tits'n' wheels gotta love'em
ziddy0786

Post by ziddy0786 »

Ok got a new dizzy cap and leads aswell will try that 2mro but also wen cars warm the dizzy gets pritty hot? Is that normal?
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

Welll yer. Its connected to the engine so...well yer, it will run at the same temp as the head M8. Around 80 to 90 degrees ordinarily.

L8r
E
Forcd4 wrote:Oh fuk no dude it's you a again, the oracle.
ziddy0786

Post by ziddy0786 »

Can't really work out thee codes on the ecu to tell me what thee problem is?
sashN12

Post by sashN12 »

what codes are u getting???
Callumgw

Post by Callumgw »

my experience is the codes on these old ecu's were never terribly reliable or accurate, so don't place too much faith in them

C
discopigg

same problem

Post by discopigg »

i'm having what sounds like pretty well identical problem in mine.. Did you work out what the go was with yours?
ctchme

Post by ctchme »

i had the same issue on mine, replaced the whole dizzy and it fixed it up, but was more than likely just the cap that had corrosion. I agree with c, the ecu isnt very accurate, i would get error 11 when i turned the ignition on, but would still turn on and run happily
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

Just a minute here.

Error codes are just that. Error codes.
The ECU has logged the error, perhaps just once due to...shit..... a multitude of issues.
There may be no actual problem with the car at all. The error could have resulted in nothing more than a single false start or even a missfire. Perhaps the wiring was disturbed enough when fucking around with it to cause a momentary issue that was not ever noticed as a running isue. Who knows?????

So the ECU logs it. It does NOT mean there is any issue at all.
its just the ECU "saw" some unexpected behaviour at some time.
Its as simple as that.

Its not smart enough to know WHY the issue happened, it just KNOWS there was at least ONE instance at some time between the reading of the error codes and the last time the errror codes were cleared.

Christ.. what do you expect? An early 80's technology ECU to diagnose, order the parts and repair the fault as well???

L8r
Oracle
Forcd4 wrote:Oh fuk no dude it's you a again, the oracle.
boosted

Post by boosted »

tassuperkart wrote:Just a minute here.

Error codes are just that. Error codes.
The ECU has logged the error, perhaps just once due to...shit..... a multitude of issues.
There may be no actual problem with the car at all. The error could have resulted in nothing more than a single false start or even a missfire. Perhaps the wiring was disturbed enough when fucking around with it to cause a momentary issue that was not ever noticed as a running isue. Who knows?????

So the ECU logs it. It does NOT mean there is any issue at all.
its just the ECU "saw" some unexpected behaviour at some time.
Its as simple as that.

Its not smart enough to know WHY the issue happened, it just KNOWS there was at least ONE instance at some time between the reading of the error codes and the last time the errror codes were cleared.

Christ.. what do you expect? An early 80's technology ECU to diagnose, order the parts and repair the fault as well???

L8r
Oracle
hello e,
it is even worse than that.
the ecu can't log errors at all.
in diagn-mode, it just displays errors that occur at the moment.
that's why the ecu shows the error code for throttle position switch when not pushing the accelerator after starting the diag procedure...

greets
martin
dexi_styles

Post by dexi_styles »

I agree with E & Martin.

Have you guys ran the diagnostics on the ECU the exact way the book tells you?
It does come up with errors as the part is not active to give the reading the ECU needs before you start the car. Bit once running it doesn't show.
Once you run the diagnostics you will get the readings you need that is of concern, under operation

Dex
http://forum.n12turbo.com/viewtopic.php?t=446 Benny's Old Dog....
Bringing New life to the Young Dog...
http://forum.n12turbo.com/viewtopic.php?t=348
Callumgw

Post by Callumgw »

look, even back in 1984 when My dads car first went back with what turned out to be 'ecu plug issues' (not correctly identified until early 90's) the error codes were through all sorts of rubbish not related to the problem.

These are very early ECUs and their diagnostics were first generation and understandably poor.

I just wouldn't put much reliance on them.

C