N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

weird splutter and boost dropping

General chat related to anything N12.
sashN12

weird splutter and boost dropping

Post by sashN12 »

ok, so, first off, it does this weird splutter, sounds like its hitting fuel cut at low rpm, when u slightly back off and it clears up for a second then comes back. it does eventually come good when its constantly getting boosted like through the hills, but after a minuite of normal driving it turns shit. sometimes it randomly comes good and flies. its weird as.
and, problem 2, my boost is not holding. set at 14 psi, hits it, then drops down to 11, then 10, then 9.
could these 2 combined just be a fucked turbo?
RIP EAZY E

Post by RIP EAZY E »

Try playing with the wires of your computer underneath your passenger seat while this is happening.
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

Definitely the plugs at the ECU M8. Its a very common problem.
There are a number of ways of attacking the job but sometimes just the lightes flick of the plug is enough to fix it.
You can try cabl tying the loom near the plug or twisting the loom around a full turn.
I have resorted to jamming matchsticks into the wiring which worked for a while.

L8r
Oracle
Forcd4 wrote:Oh fuk no dude it's you a again, the oracle.
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

Hmmmph, well look at that, The 5000th post from me above...Sheesh!
l8r
Oracle
Forcd4 wrote:Oh fuk no dude it's you a again, the oracle.
sashN12

Post by sashN12 »

na no good. il double check vacuum lines but i doubt it as most are new sillicone ones. dont een wanna drive it atm :(
it blowes a bit of black smoke/suut when its spluttering so its obviously overfueling, but dont know why
sashN12

Post by sashN12 »

so sorta found out what it is. i turn the dizzy/timing to as far clockwise as i can and it runs fine. then ran shit after 10 mins so popped bonet with car running and adjusted it back to center, gave it a rev, then back to where it was and it came good. does this mean the dizzy's rooted?
et_rider

Post by et_rider »

myne blew smoke to and when it started doing the same thing i would change the spark plug as they were oiling up have look at the plugs and check the gaps its amazing just how much a dogy spark plug can have on a motor, not a def fix but neva hurts to try

thanks
matt
Boost+pulsar = goodness = pain :(
My Ride
http://forum.n12turbo.com/viewtopic.php?t=4600
sashN12

Post by sashN12 »

Plugs are only 2 weeks old but they look as if they have been leaning out, or could just be that I use ethanol fuels and it burns cleaner. Car seems to be ok now but I don't like the fact that I have to run max timing to make it run right. It almost sounds like the forced air is blowing out the spark....
Andjeti

Post by Andjeti »

Cam belt has slipped a tooth. Mine did the same thing, was driving fine one day, wouldn't start the next until I cranked the dizzy all the way round. Even when I checked the timing, max adjustment on the dizzy put the timing way off. Replaced the cam belt, lined it all back up, dizzy is only just off centre now, runs sweet.
"Dog's go Woof Woof. Wog's go Doof Doof"
ET Turbo Decal Reproductions
Damo

Post by Damo »

[quote="sashN12" but I don't like the fact that I have to run max timing to make it run right.[/quote]

What is your ignition timing set at?

Damo
Do humanity a favor, use your brain and fight the forces of WOO WOO!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1mrbxhWU5Y
sashN12

Post by sashN12 »

Ah that makes sence, cheers mate.Will get new belts and front seal next week
Damo, That is my ignition timing...... That's why I'm not happy about it lol
Damo

Post by Damo »

???????^^^

With a timing light, what have you got your ignition timing set at before TDC?

Damo

sashN12

Post by sashN12 »

Will have to check on that, but pretty sure it's like 25 degrees. Not sure if it makes a difference but it only started running like shit after about half hour of driving after relocating the afm to the cold side of the cooler pipes.
Damo

Post by Damo »

Ok, lets start your post again:

Hi, I have relocated my AFM to the wrong side of the turbo and now it runs like a bag of shit.

Can anyone help me?

Answer:

Sure can. Put your AFM on the correct side of the turbo, make sure there are no air leaks and the car will run like new.

Damo

sashN12

AA

Post by sashN12 »

Um what? Wrong side??? Never heard of that before, ever. As long as it's measuring boosted air it should be fine, I do not see the point in putting the afm before the turbo, on all the turbos I've worked on these things have got to be the most complicated. Not trying to have a go I just wanna know why u think it's the "wrong" side?