N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

Intercooler ???? With plastic endcaps

General chat related to anything N12.
Valentich

Intercooler ???? With plastic endcaps

Post by Valentich »

A little help with IC options.
I have a nice little one I was going to use.
But when In place (in this F#@KEN Prairie LOL) there is no room for the fan
(Might just squeeze a very thin little one in) but there wont be any room for the AC core unless I do some heave mods.
INLET 2 INCH OUTLET 2 INCH
I also just got a slim line OEM IC from a 2010 HOLDEN CAPTIVA TURBO
OVERALL W:800MM H:115MM D:175MM
CORE W:570MM H:110MM D:90MM
INLET 2.5 INCH OUTLET 2.5 INCH
But the thing has plastic endcaps and I am concerned that it can handle the pressure.
At the moment I have a t28 in, but later down the track I will fit a Reco'd T25 I have.
I'm Guessing with this slim unit in I can put a slimline fan and AC core without too much trouble.
So please some suggestions.
Thanks
Damo

Post by Damo »

If that is all you can fit, then so be it! But something like that would be FAAAARRRR from optimal. Do a few quick calculations of air speed through the thing, and you will find that at any sort of "sport" orientated air flow will have your inlet charge needing to pass through that thing so fast that 'it' will become a restriction.
There is a very good reason that the big hp engine guys chase i/c area! It allows the inlet charge to be in contact with the fins of the i/c for longer. They arn't fussed by what shape it is, or even where the inlet/outlet are. As long as the charge is in contact with the core for as long as practical.

I would engineer the fan around the i/c rather that switch to the ......erm....shit one! :D

Damo
Do humanity a favor, use your brain and fight the forces of WOO WOO!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1mrbxhWU5Y
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

Sow us a pix from above between the engine and the radiator.
L8r
Oracle
Forcd4 wrote:Oh fuk no dude it's you a again, the oracle.
Andjeti

Post by Andjeti »

tassuperkart wrote:Sow us a pix from above between the engine and the radiator.
L8r
Oracle
That's what I was thinking E.

If two slim 8" fans will fit on either side of the rad, with the turbo in between them, then it may be an option. Unless you already got larger fans Valentich. I managed to get 2 fans in between my rad and I-C, but then again, I'm using a Camry rad, with no grille or AC.
"Dog's go Woof Woof. Wog's go Doof Doof"
ET Turbo Decal Reproductions
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

he looks like hes using an ET radiator which is big enough to cool a truck.

It would only need a single 10" shrouded fan over one side of the radiator.
My GX turbo has a single 10" fan with no shrouding at one end of the ET radiator and that works well enough to keep temps under control in 35 Deg. + heat in traffic.
Note: That dun happen very often in Southern tassie but does at least happen!!!

L8r
Oracle
Forcd4

Post by Forcd4 »

it might just be the angle of the pic but i reckon you'll squeeze a davies craig fan in there.... thin as kate moss on a bender bro.... and fuk the air con off.... for the 2 days of the year you use it it drags on the engine weighs too much and costs your hard earned filling the kerunt every year..... bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbooooooot it to the shitter
Andjeti

Post by Andjeti »

Firstly Forcd4: You give Tass shit and rant and rave when he tells you what to do on your car, then turn around and do it to someone else. Hypocritical much? Maybe the reason you two clash is because you're both too much alike. Wait don't flame me here, this is Valentich's Thread, feel free to PM me and we'll discuss it there.

Valentich: Keep the air-con, I'm seriously thinking about getting a couple and putting it back in both my ET's. QLD can get quite warm in summer. And if you can post up a shot from above like Tass said, so we can get a better idea of how much room there is between inside of radiator and engine/turbo componentry.

Val, Tass, Anyone: Is there any reason the Intercooler cannot be run with the pipes on the top rather than the bottom of the cooler. The only reason I can see that this wouldn't work is because "hot air rises", but surely this would be offset by shorter piping and on boost is there really going to be much difference in temp between the top and bottom of the cooler?
Last edited by Andjeti on Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Dog's go Woof Woof. Wog's go Doof Doof"
ET Turbo Decal Reproductions
Callumgw

Post by Callumgw »

didn't anyone say water-air intercooling?

C
madn12

Post by madn12 »

im having the same problem as well as i want to keep ac too
not sure if the prairie is much different space wise to an et but i worked that with a t25 i could shift the rad back a centermeter then shift the ac condenser closer to the rad which gives you a bit more room as theres a fair gap between to the 2... then fit 2 10" slim fans from supercheap then get this cooler - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/JASMA-DELTA- ... 4cf60eb1a0
which would fit very snug just behind the reo bar just down to the opening
im yet to actually try as i dont have the cooler ive only gone by measurements
85 n12 n/a manual pulsar - extractors | muffler | coilovers <gone
86 n12 et pulsar - vl tb | pod | coilovers | full kit
88 tn magna with worked n/a motor
96 te magna dumped on 18"s
02 tj VRX
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

Andjeti wrote:
Val, Tass, Anyone: Is there any reason the Intercooler cannot be run with the pipes on the top rather than the bottom of the cooler?
No M8, mount it in any way you see fit.
The only real consideration to mounting a FMIC is to have it a perpendicular as possibleto the airflow as possible to reduce turbulence and restriction of airflow from reaching the radiator.

Ignore Forcefools comments M8. hell quieten down eventually.

L8r
Oracle
Valentich

Post by Valentich »

Even though the engine bay is a little larger. I think the motor sits a few centimetres more forward
(or visa versa, the radiator support is closer to the motor) the prairie had a very small radiator.
Then that big T28 (LOL) fills it in pretty much.
Also the reo seems to be a little closer to the radiator than a ET.
There is about 15mm maybe 20mm between radiator and IC, if I play about cutting things away I might get more. I want to fit the AC in between,
Can anyone tell me how deep the AC radiator core is?

But I might be able to get 2x 8" low with a bit of overhang off the bottom ???? (thanks Andjeti)

Im going to try it anyway, I want the bigger (thanks Damo).

Forcd4, I would love a Davies craig fan but I think $141 (website price) for an 8" is a bit rich for me when there are slim 8" on ebay for $24.
But I would like the quality, and I'll look around for cheaper Davies.

Also. Its a fragin Prairie, 7 seater and is going to be loaded down with 150+ kilos of OF AUDIO/VISUAL/COMPUTERS and batteries,
Its not a drag car LOL. I believe its going to have heaps of power to make it dangerous (I mean zippy LOL).
And I love my AC, used it all year round. Helps me breath

Callumgw. If I thought about a water/air before i started, I would of gone that way, but I am a little too far down this path now.

To the might Oracle. Right as usual

Thank you
Callumgw

Post by Callumgw »

Valentich wrote:
Callumgw. If I thought about a water/air before i started, I would of gone that way, but I am a little too far down this path now.[/b]

It's never too late, think carefully before throwing more good money after bad...It might not have been obvious before you started but if the result will be a BIG compromise, it might be worth selling on the bits (or putting them in a new project) and taking a better path.

C
kid nismo

Post by kid nismo »

i have a front mount intercooler, with 2 slim fans and still retain my working a/c. it can be done. you just have to plan it very carefully. also i keep my intercooler pipe to 2" dia and I've got the large T28 GTiR turbo in the engine bay as well. goes like a dream. good luck with it.
Valentich

Post by Valentich »

Thanks for the encouragement kid nismo.

By the way, I have a WTB for a AC unit.

If anyone has spares.
madn12

Post by madn12 »

kid nismo wrote:i have a front mount intercooler, with 2 slim fans and still retain my working a/c. it can be done. you just have to plan it very carefully. also i keep my intercooler pipe to 2" dia and I've got the large T28 GTiR turbo in the engine bay as well. goes like a dream. good luck with it.
dont suppose you could post up some pics id be interested to see..
Did you mount the fans to the ac condenser?
85 n12 n/a manual pulsar - extractors | muffler | coilovers <gone
86 n12 et pulsar - vl tb | pod | coilovers | full kit
88 tn magna with worked n/a motor
96 te magna dumped on 18"s
02 tj VRX