N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

Performance Mods For My ET!

General chat related to anything N12.
Dinwoodie

Performance Mods For My ET!

Post by Dinwoodie »

Hey everyone!
As the title states i am looking at making my ET a little faster. I bought it about 12 months ago and it is completely stock. It runs like a dream and is by far the best car i have ever owned (it sits in my single car garage) while a new VE Ute and a GT forester sit outside in the weather.

I was going to leave it stock for re-sell value later on but the had a hard think about it, i am never going to sell the car ever.

So now comes the hard part, what to do without breaking the bank or losing reliability. What are the best bang for buck mods you can do? Where should i start?

I noticed a few people talking about "Stage" reground cams, is this something i could get done without having anything else done? Sorry for the noobness but now i know i am keeping the love of my life i want her to move. Cheers in advance Jordz
kid nismo

Post by kid nismo »

to get quick result without breaking the bank, change the t2 turbo with a t25 turbo from a c18det engine. t25G turbo from a sr20det are also cool once you mod the rear turbo housing. next would be to get yourself an intercooler, but then your looking at around the $1k mark with installation (unless you do the work yourself). dont touch the camshaft, you wont need it as the turbo will do all the work for you. but if you feel like you must, then go the stage 1 cam or at most stage 2 to keep it streetable. my 2c. good luck with it.
Dinwoodie

Post by Dinwoodie »

Sweet, sounds like a good start! if i were to get a t25 off a ca18det what else would i have to get in order for it to fit onto my car? It wouldn't be a case of just switching them over would it? And with an intercooler, is there any way of front mounting them without cutting into the chasy?

Cheers Jordz
ETTRBO

Post by ETTRBO »

best bang for buck imo would be afm relocation, 2 1/2" exhaust, and fit a boost controller and then if have enought coin left over fit cooler,

exhaust $200 s/h

afm relocation $free you'll have most of the parts on the car already or around the house

boost controller $99 autobarn

and intercooler kit $400 s/h
Project is now finished!
Kimmo

Post by Kimmo »

ETTRBO wrote:best bang for buck imo would be afm relocation
Damn straight. These cars don't run like a dream when they're stock... lifting off in second makes for arseloads of nasty kangaroo-hopping action, and it's too easy to stall em when taking off.

The AFM relo makes em heaps better to drive; more grunt down low where you want it, and much better throttle response. Makes em much better behaved. Don't be slack and lose the valves from the log, either.
Dinwoodie

Post by Dinwoodie »

Wicked! I believe there is a post somewhere around about how to do the AFM Relo, but from memory i have to place the battery in the boot right? If i do this do i have to get a sealed cell battery?
Kimmo

Post by Kimmo »

Dinwoodie

Post by Dinwoodie »

Ahh excellent! Thanks for that link mate! I am thinking about doing the AFM relo and upgrading to a t25 which i can pick up for a good price, does this sound ok or are there other things you would do?
Kimmo

Post by Kimmo »

I'd start with the AFM relo; you'll be able to get some fresh enjoyment from the T2 that way.

Plug up the overboost valve, and wind the boost up to like 9psi, the T2 should still be okay with that. An adjustable pressure relief valve on the actuator line to eliminate wastegate creep would prolly be good, too.

Maybe hold off on the T25 till you've got a proper dump pipe, FMIC and some IC piping together... I'd point the compressor snout down to avoid the big U-turn everybody has; this'd make the piping about .5m shorter.
kid nismo

Post by kid nismo »

I forgot about the afm relocation mod. Makes the car very responsive, and makes the turbo spooling sound louder as well! Mod would cost u next to nothing. T25 on the other hand is very involved and would cost you more to do. You need to know what you are doing or run the risk of grenading your engine or killing your turbo.
Dinwoodie

Post by Dinwoodie »

Ok so i have sussed out the AFM Relo and for me it falls into the too hard basket, i have purchased the cold start tube thing that runs behind the throttle body that has been professionally welded up at the ends etc Can anyone suggest a good mechanic or someone with enough know how that needs some extra cash, i am located near Frankston, VIC. When it comes to my cars i would rather drop them off undone and pick it up done. I have been quoted $250 to install a T25 by a Jap Imports place near me but i am not going that path yet, i will do the Relo then up the boost to 9 PSI as recommended. I have a greddy turbo timer in the car now, i have bought the same unit in the boost controller so they look good together. Anyway if someone can recommend someone to do the AFM it would be muchly appreciated!
Damo

Post by Damo »

Dinwoodie wrote:Ok so i have sussed out the AFM Relo and for me it falls into the too hard basket, i have purchased the cold start tube thing that runs behind the throttle body that has been professionally welded up at the ends etc Can anyone suggest a good mechanic or someone with enough know how that needs some extra cash, i am located near Frankston, VIC. When it comes to my cars i would rather drop them off undone and pick it up done. I have been quoted $250 to install a T25 by a Jap Imports place near me but i am not going that path yet, i will do the Relo then up the boost to 9 PSI as recommended. I have a greddy turbo timer in the car now, i have bought the same unit in the boost controller so they look good together. Anyway if someone can recommend someone to do the AFM it would be muchly appreciated!
Dude, your gonna-wanna get your hands dirty at some stage! Unloading the 'green folding' for basic bolt ons is a sure way to get over the whole N12 thing real quick. If you mod it from stock, it will be less reliable and more prone to needing a slight 're-gig' to get going properly again. And paying someone to do this each and every time is going to get old extreemly quickly.

My 2 cents.

In order:

Boost to 10 psi >$20

Biggest intercooler you can fit/afford $50-$500

2.5inch exhaust $300

Boost 14-15psi $0

Should be quick enough to keep you happy for 12mnths.

BTW, throw in the AFM relocation when you please, best when you are doing i/c plumbing to get it out of the way in one hit.

Damo
Do humanity a favor, use your brain and fight the forces of WOO WOO!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1mrbxhWU5Y
Dinwoodie

Post by Dinwoodie »

Dude, your gonna-wanna get your hands dirty at some stage! Unloading the 'green folding' for basic bolt ons is a sure way to get over the whole N12 thing real quick. If you mod it from stock, it will be less reliable and more prone to needing a slight 're-gig' to get going properly again. And paying someone to do this each and every time is going to get old extreemly quickly.

My 2 cents.

In order:

Boost to 10 psi >$20

Biggest intercooler you can fit/afford $50-$500

2.5inch exhaust $300

Boost 14-15psi $0

Should be quick enough to keep you happy for 12mnths.

BTW, throw in the AFM relocation when you please, best when you are doing i/c plumbing to get it out of the way in one hit.

Damo
Thanks for the input Damo, first off, i've seen your car on several vids on youtube very nice!

The car went in for an exhaust today, got it back and sounds awesome 2.5 inch madrel bent Turbo back. (iv'e already messed up your to do list) And to be honest i wasn't going to intercool it, i wasn't planing on going over 10 psi with it even with a T25.

I don't like my cars being unroadworthy and as you know a pod and intercooler would need to be emissions tested and i'm not prepared to drop $2000+ to get it done.

After reading serveral posts here in my mind i was content with AFM Relo, Boost to 9-10 PSI to keep it reliable, it's not a car for racing just a weekender i enjoy driving that i really don't want to mess with too much.

When it comes to getting my hands dirty, i don't mind (Being a plumber) but i have a rule, "If you can't fix it, don't fuck with it" And i don't know alot about cars so i leave it to the peeps that do, The money isn't an issue i have more of that than knowledge of cars!

But Damo, you seem to know your shite when it comes to ET's, when are you coming down to do the AFM relo? ;oP
Kimmo

Post by Kimmo »

Dinwoodie wrote:Ok so i have sussed out the AFM Relo and for me it falls into the too hard basket
For shame! Come on dude, that's a piss-easy mod.
Dinwoodie

Post by Dinwoodie »

haha Kimmo, i know i know, Shame on me. I'm sure it is easy if you know what your doing, but so it building a rocket ;oD

I'm still going to leave it to the experts when someone can point me in the direction. Piece of mind knowing someone capable has done it.
Spoke to a bloke from autopuls in Dandenong that i dealt with when i had a GTI-R But he seemed real hesitant in dealing with me which is strange.