N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

Mods

General chat related to anything N12.
James!?!

Mods

Post by James!?! »

Hey all ive decided to mod my n12 :D
just wanting to know what kinda comp i should run as ive been told u needa change from the factory one if u change injectors? also what injectors should i use im gonna be trying to get a flat 13sec pass
shanec86
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shanec86 »

You dont really need to drop the comp, anything around the standard comp 7.1 - 7.5:1 is fine

Ive run a flat 13 on standard injectors although they are maxed out. Get yourself a set of RX7 or GTR Injectors and you will be right, of coarse you will need to run some sort of aftermarket ECU / Device to run the larger injectors. The injectors will range from 400cc-600cc depending on what model type you get. But this will be plenty for power required to do a 13 second pass. You will be looking for about 130-150kw, with slicks you will be quicker at the lower end of that power scale as opposed to having more power and just street tyres.
Kimmo

Post by Kimmo »

I think he was asking which ECU to go for.
James!?!

Post by James!?! »

yeah wanted to know what ecu and injectors to use to get a reliable 13 flat. do u have to mod the fuel rail or anything to make rx7 injectors fit? i noticed the standard injectors r odd lookin like sr20de ones out of a serena.
shanec86
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shanec86 »

oh well there you go lol

You can use pretty much any ecu you want, just choose one that you know a tuner near you can use, Wolf, Microtech, Haltech.. what ever.
As long as the injectors are hose tail and use the same size hose then you should have no problem. E15ET injectors arent odd looking at all, they are the same as RB30's etc.
Damo

Post by Damo »

James!?! wrote:yeah wanted to know what ecu and injectors to use to get a reliable 13 flat. do u have to mod the fuel rail or anything to make rx7 injectors fit? i noticed the standard injectors r odd lookin like sr20de ones out of a serena.
What are expecting in wanting 'reliable 13 flat'?

With the sort of 'twist n go' you need for 110mph+, reliable is not a word I would use to describe the package.

With a proper ECU, turbo, I/C and tune the engine will hold together for a good couple of years, but the stock N12 turbo box may let go well before that. The other bits that are 25+ years old my well give up the ghost and random intervals too.

Damo
Do humanity a favor, use your brain and fight the forces of WOO WOO!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1mrbxhWU5Y
photoglossy

Post by photoglossy »

Most people find it hard to be reliable with a stock setup, let alone with any type of modification :lol:
James!?!

Post by James!?! »

i should have said consistant 13 my bad lol im expecting the gearbox to let go as its already crunching 2nd has since i got the car :S.
Kimmo

Post by Kimmo »

photoglossy wrote:Most people find it hard to be reliable with a stock setup, let alone with any type of modification :lol:
You're not being entirely serious, right?

Once I'd ironed out the bugs in my old Exa, it was like clockwork.
James!?!

Post by James!?! »

also just from looking at photos of members cars here i noticed that the intake manifolds r different to mine... was gonna get the top half of my manifold custom made unless u can buy aftermarket ones?
photoglossy

Post by photoglossy »

James!?! wrote:also just from looking at photos of members cars here i noticed that the intake manifolds r different to mine... was gonna get the top half of my manifold custom made unless u can buy aftermarket ones?
There are 3 types on manifolds from standard. The common over the top one. The square sdrivers side intake, commonly know as the jas spec intake, and the EGI intake, off of some E15E pulsars in japan.

I try and source as many as i can for ppl over in aussie, but havn't come across any lately.
photoglossy

Post by photoglossy »

Kimmo wrote:
photoglossy wrote:Most people find it hard to be reliable with a stock setup, let alone with any type of modification :lol:
You're not being entirely serious, right?

Once I'd ironed out the bugs in my old Exa, it was like clockwork.
I thing i am correct in saying the MOST people do struggle with reliability. Most people probably wouldnt sign up on here if everything worked like clockwork, as in your case.
Kimmo

Post by Kimmo »

You think? I'd say a lot of folks sign up to get help modifying their N12s, or to get access to the trading section.

These cars are reliable when stock, with the exception of the dodgy ECU plugs and the plasticine ring gear.
Timmzy

RE:

Post by Timmzy »

With good reliable servicing of the car and worn out components, plus fixing things properly when they fail ---- they can be very reliable.

I got away with ~4 years of circuit racing/street driving with the current setup on mine. Nothing broke until recently. ANd that's because it ran out of oil.......lack of servicing right there............

But I don't drag race the car and I am careful with the gearbox - so the severe shock loading isn't as bad as drag racing.

Darren.
Race it.
Timmzy

Post by Timmzy »

I also think that quite a few people around here inherit (spelling) other people disasters and cockups which can be really frustrating and then they turn to the forums for help which is great cos it gets people talking.

So the car is kinda unreliable to start off with - how many times do you hear friends saying "yeah gonna sell it, so not servicing/putting tyres on it"

Lets face it - most people flog them off because they "want to upgrade" etc. Translation-> I can't be fucked with all the problems.

So james. Give it a good, complete service and clean, when you pull those injectors out and install new ones do the job properly. When you install the computer, rewire it. Don't fuck around with the old shit - or you will have problems - that I can give you a guarentee on! :)

And there are heaps of knowledgable people to ask.

Darren.
Race it.