N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

5 BTDC vs 5 ATDC

General chat related to anything N12.
paul w

5 BTDC vs 5 ATDC

Post by paul w »

Apologies if this is a really, really thick question, but the manual for the timing on my auto N12, says 5 degrees BTDC. That's what I've been using.

Anyway, I checked the timing and such yesterday, just moseying around the engine, and found that the mechanic who last worked on it put it 5 degree AFTER TDC, i.e. the first mark clockwise on the pulley (anti-clockwise has five marks: 0 . 10 . 20. I was using the second mark on this.)

I'm presuming it's for more power....but why change it?
sgs

Post by sgs »

dude that will make ur car gutless and backfire, five degree before TDC not after
Damo

Post by Damo »

sgs wrote: five degree before TDC not after
Sorry, is that so! According to which manual?

Damo
Do humanity a favor, use your brain and fight the forces of WOO WOO!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1mrbxhWU5Y
paul w

Post by paul w »

"dude that will make ur car gutless and backfire, five degree before TDC not after"

The car is running like a dream.
But...fuel consumption is up from 7-7-5km/l to 8.5km/l.
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

because your engine is running with a 10 degree retard.
Itll run smooth allright but youll be well down on performance.

However, atmo e15's dot take kindly to much advance and low octane ULP.
"rattle rattle rattle tinkle tinkle!

l8r
E
Forcd4 wrote:Oh fuk no dude it's you a again, the oracle.
sgs

Post by sgs »

when the heel on my points worn off due to lack of oil, it dropped back to exactly TDC, car was guttless and backfired when i buttoned off the trottle. i would hate imagine what five degrees after TDC would be like :?
Damo

Post by Damo »

sgs wrote:when the heel on my points worn off due to lack of oil, it dropped back to exactly TDC, car was guttless and backfired when i buttoned off the trottle. i would hate imagine what five degrees after TDC would be like :?
If you have a look at the emissions placard under the bonnet, it will show you ignition timing it should run. Any E15 carby engine sold in this country runs a setup timing of from 5-7deg ATDC! This does move a long way back into BTDC with the vac line hooked back up after tune up checks, but factory timing is ATDC.

Damo
Do humanity a favor, use your brain and fight the forces of WOO WOO!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1mrbxhWU5Y
sgs

Post by sgs »

my car is New Zealand new

will be trying out the so called factory settings out. will get back to you guys with how that goes! :D
paul w

Post by paul w »

Damo

Interesting point. I just checked my Gregorys (Australian) manual, and it says 5deg BTDC, but my official Nissan Australia manual workshop says 5deg ATDC.

Okay, back to basics for me; the marks on the auto N12 are, anti-clockwise; (mark) 10, (mark) 20. In other words, four marks indicating 5, 10, 15, 20. Clockwise, just on mark that corresponds to 5deg.

So, let me get this right; the single mark clockwise is 5deg BTDC, and the rest are ATDC?

If that is so, I made a mistake in my opening post; the timing set by the mechanics is actually the 5deg single mark going clockwise.

I've been timing it at the 5deg mark in the anti-clockwise.
sgs

Post by sgs »

Damo,
i'v change my timing to 5deg ATDC, car is running mint. It now makes more down bottom end :D nothing strange happening, has alot lot better exhaust note also. i have a feeling im gonna save heaps of gas!

well we learn something new everyday! Thanks Damo

btw, are nissan E series engines unique in this way because everybody i talked to about it looked at me kinda side ways :lol:
Denied

Post by Denied »

holy thread revival Batman.

Figured I'd bump this since I just ran across this 'fun' today. Manual for N/A version does state timing @ 5° ATDC when dizzy vac line disconnected

It is 5° BTDC when vac line is connected. Which is the mark to the left of the 0° timing mark (counter clockwise when looking in from the drivers side wheel well)

After driving around with what amounted to 10° of retard, I now know how important timing is... absolutely no power, hesitates whenever you press the accelerator. Returned the timing to 5° BTDC and she's much more responsive and back to her usual self.