N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

Engine Stutter

General chat related to anything N12.
sktnz

Engine Stutter

Post by sktnz »

Hey I have been having this issue with my Langley for a while now with a e15et turbo.
It would stutter and lose power when driving on the highway around 100K in 5th at 2,800 rpm. To stop it from doing that I would have to either take my foot of the gas, or floor it and it would be fine for a bit.

It does it now when accelerating, hitting around 2,000rpm and at 0 on the boost gauge. This would happen randomly. Could go a week without a stutter, or do it most of the day. A couple of times I can have my foot to the floor and there will be no power or sound coming for the engine, until it will eventually kick back in. would also have issues going above 2,500rpm when this stuttering happens when revving out of gear.

I have changed the spark plugs, fuel filter, cleaned the AFM, got a new dizzy, and got the coils checked out.

Has anyone else have had similar issue or know what going be going bung?

Cheers
Panda_ET

Post by Panda_ET »

ECU plugs mate give em a wiggle its a seriously common issue and annoying.
Low Slow and Sarcastic
Always Oscar Mike on the AO

www.twitter.com/garagepanda for my latest Inane comments

www.TasSportImages.com
BADET-4

Post by BADET-4 »

Yep Ecu or injector plugs. I fiddled with mine alot and thought it wasnt them But trust me, It is. Persist. I ended up spraying my contacts with co2 contact cleaner and cable tying my ecu plugs on an angle and never had an issue with them again!! :D

Passhole (păs'hōl') The person who has been driving slowly for ages but speeds up the moment one tries to get ahead of him.
Sarchasm (sär'kăz'əm) The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the recipient who doesn't get it.
Ignoranus (ĭg'nə-rā'nəs) A person who is both stupid and an arsehole.
sktnz

Post by sktnz »

I had a go at spraying contact cleaner to both sides of the plugs and they looked clean with no oxidation.
All three plugs have a bit of wobble, so I pushed them in the most they will go and threw on the cap hoping that it would keep them in place.
The first day was fine with out a hitch, but then driving today it came back, always when boost pressure starts moving to 0 on the gauge.

How did you tie up your wires Badet-4? got any pics of how you conquered this problem?

cheers again for the quick replies
Panda_ET

Post by Panda_ET »

EASY mate all you do is grab some cable ties and wrap them around the ecu so they hold the plugs in ;)
Low Slow and Sarcastic
Always Oscar Mike on the AO

www.twitter.com/garagepanda for my latest Inane comments

www.TasSportImages.com
sktnz

Post by sktnz »

Cheers for the suggestions, but I had a ago at tidying up and strapping the ECU wires till they couldn't move a mill but the issue is still there.
I have found that it would do it mainly in the morning to work, but the drive home 10hrs later is perfect and no fear of it happening during this time.
When it would stutter/stall a bit of faint black smoke can be seen

I got some footage of it happening to give you a better idea of the sound.

the stall happens for a bit then, I push in the clutch to rev it a bit to get boost pressure over 0

This one eventually fixes itself

Like it said earlier it would do this when boost pressure is at 0, at 2000rpm. Once it gets over, it revs fine till boost pressure drops below 0.
If anyone has heard or seen this issue before please let me know, hate this as it feels like my motor is blowing up.

Cheers
jason2098

Post by jason2098 »

try changing rotor button or leads see if that does it
sktnz

Post by sktnz »

Got the Leads, coils checked, changed the spark plugs again and a new fuel filter with no change.
A fuel pressure gauge was fitted and it would drop when it is around 2000 rpm, but was fine at higher revs.

Would a bung fuel pump be the issue? or would it be something controlling the fuel pump in the ecu?
Andjeti

Post by Andjeti »

I've got the same issue. I've done all the same things as you, and swapped my fuel pump as well (not related to this issue). The next thing I'm going to do is actually pull the terminals out of the ECU plug and tighten them all a tad and possibly hit them with a small piece of emery paper while I am at it. Just to make sure they are getting good contact. I've already done injector plugs. I noticed when mine does it, if I wiggle the ECU plug (the outside one on the two that are together) it stops doing it. I've got my ECU on my passengers seat, and if I wiggle the plug I can make it do it, or make it stop depending. I'll probably do my terminals after tafe tomorrow, and I'll let you know if it solves it.
"Dog's go Woof Woof. Wog's go Doof Doof"
ET Turbo Decal Reproductions
flimmer

Post by flimmer »

The motor is run fine on low rpm?
I've had the same problem, I found out it was the throttle valve switch.
sktnz

Post by sktnz »

Thanks Andjeti for pointing out the problematic plug and do let me know if that sorts it out.

Yeah in idle or rolling below 1500rpm it is fine, but once I get near 2000 rpm it starts playing up until I get boost pressure over 0.

When they checked the fuel pressure it would drop below 2 bar when it happens, so would it be some weird programming in the ECU if that can be changed?

Thanks again for the thoughts so far.
flimmer

Post by flimmer »

sktnz

Okay the manuel says, for E15ET approximately 2.06 bar/ 30 psi at idling and pedal fully depressed approximately 2.55 bar/37 psi. If fuel pressure is not as specified, replace the pressure regulator, and repeat fuel pressure check.

Weird programming ind the ECU, if it does get weird, the ECU goes into emergency mode, on a Nissan ECU
sktnz

Post by sktnz »

ahh so you suspect a faulty fuel pressure regulator? Because sometimes turning off the car and starting it up again can get rid of the stutter and is what makes me think something weird in the electrics.

I've wiggled the plug closest to me when it happens, but I haven't been able to see any results from that.
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

Its the mioddle plug on the ECU that gives all the grief.
It contains the AFM wiring.
Sometimes even just the lightest of touches is enough to cure the dreaded stutters.
Wifeys car would respond to just the slightest of flicks on the middle plug.
Some have had success by cable tyeing the wires, twisting the plugs, and jamming bits of stick and paper here and there to load the plugs one way or other to get a good connection.
Even just repeatedly unplugging and replugging the looms sometimes works.
I have successfully bent the pins into a slight "S" shape which seems to work.

In the past on a particularly troublesome plug was to simply cut it off altogether and wire in PC motherboard flyleads/plugs. You can get these singly and this cures the problem altogether.

Its a cunt of a job and its a bastard to replace those plugs one by one after you pull them for some reason but its a small price to pay.

l8r
E
Forcd4 wrote:Oh fuk no dude it's you a again, the oracle.
sktnz

Post by sktnz »

Thanks Tass for the huge amount of info.
So I was moving the wrong plug as well. I'll look into more about fixing this plug and check the wires for any loose bits and go from there.

So I guess this connection would this also sometimes limit my motor from reving over 2,500 rpm when it stutters?

Thanks again for all the help so far