N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

PHANTOM GRIP

General chat related to anything N12.
skez

PHANTOM GRIP

Post by skez »

looking at getting a phantom type locker is this the go or is there another brand/type i should be looking at im waiting for the phantom site to email me back with a australian price delivered to me
260zTT

Post by 260zTT »

Took me 3 months to get a reply!
Finally got one installed to my rebuilt gearbox. Will be refitting soon with my stroker motor and GT25R.
Cost delivered to the UK around £300
shanec86
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shanec86 »

They are all right, dont expect them to hold up with burnouts and or slicks though
skez

Post by skez »

shanec86 wrote:They are all right, dont expect them to hold up with burnouts and or slicks though
thats all i need to no lol i wont worrry about one then as and yeh they are 450 delivered but if its not going to last then i dont see the point
Damo

Post by Damo »

If you can hold off for a couple of months, I'm in the process of making one ATM (along with other projects :D), Ill let you know how it goes. If I can make one, any machinist worth half a pinch of shit should be able to knock one up in 1/2hr flat. The bloke I bought the alloy from would probably make a few up for 1/4 the price if ts easy enough.

Damo
Do humanity a favor, use your brain and fight the forces of WOO WOO!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1mrbxhWU5Y
japcrap

Post by japcrap »

Damo wrote:If you can hold off for a couple of months, I'm in the process of making one ATM (along with other projects :D), Ill let you know how it goes. If I can make one, any machinist worth half a pinch of shit should be able to knock one up in 1/2hr flat. The bloke I bought the alloy from would probably make a few up for 1/4 the price if ts easy enough.
Damo
ill take one of you for sure damo. let me know when you have it.
Nature makes only dumb animals. We owe the fools to society.
shanec86
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shanec86 »

Damo, is it basically two pieces of rectangle alloy, holes machined through the centre (two ways) and 4 buckets drilled out for some springs, sandwhich it all together and jam it between the spider gears?
skez

Post by skez »

yeh i would be keen and yeh i dont really like the whole concept of the phantom grip seems like it would wear easily and a pretty rough way of traction aid i like detroits, lockrights etc but they wouldnt be any good in a front wheel drive so there not really much i can do
Timmzy

re:

Post by Timmzy »

Really Shane?

WOuld you care to take some measurements of those plates?

:)

I am lurking around watching this thread

Darren.
Race it.
260zTT

Post by 260zTT »

The idea is simple, as said, but it isn't made from a cheap piece of alloy!
I know of a guy that has used one for a couple of years in his 924 with a supercharger fitted. He runs it in a sprint/hillclimb championship, leaves two black lines out of bends. He offered it to me for free recently, but was too big to fit a Cherry turbo diff.
Another guy I know runs one in his 2.2 Prelude turbo'd Civic, 650 horses and no problems at all.
You can't get anything to fit over here in the UK, that's why I have gone for this !
Callumgw

Post by Callumgw »

ohh Darren, I drew one up on CAD before I had Bill Freame make me the first N12 one.... in talking with Bill at the time he gave the blocks more tolerance (gap to gears) and used much bigger springs, like those from a clutch, than I drew. But otherwise....

C
Timmzy

diff

Post by Timmzy »

Callum,

So you drew it all up?? Do you still have the file and what format is it in? If you can remember the changes, Ill update the drawing...

Are those plates something we could get laser cut?

I could then source the springs - if you knew what he used - and get some cap screws......

How did he pretention it for assembly? I am thinking some removable cap screws on an over-center hinge. Or you could make them permanent - and just adjust up the tention once every couple of years to account for the obviously high-wear these things tend to have...

Darren.
Race it.
Callumgw

Post by Callumgw »

check your email, I sent the drawings in DFT right after that post. I have it as a solidedge file to.

C
Timmzy

Post by Timmzy »

Noice.

THanks

:)
Race it.
thepurplepulsar
Administrator
Administrator

Post by thepurplepulsar »

can you post up the plans, out of interest i'd like to see how they look.
Number 5 on the Top Ten List - 12.39 @ 110mph

My Car