N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

Put a deposit on my first ET Pulsar. Car now home

General chat related to anything N12.
XR Pilot

Put a deposit on my first ET Pulsar. Car now home

Post by XR Pilot »

NOTE: See last post for real time trip updates for the train ride to the car and the 5 hour drive home.

Hi all,

Just put a deposit down on my first ET, should be picking it up within a week or so hopefully after the seller fixes a few exhaust leaks. Needs a blueslip, a new hatch at some point (has rust under the spoiler, will bog and paint it for now and find a new one) plus the common ring gear issue. Cosmetically its rough (which is good, I'd rather something I can park anywhere at the moment, I'm using it to put a HR31 GTS-X in storage that I am a little bit paranoid about..) but on the bright side it runs and drives well, its near stock except an exhaust and what appears to be a water cooled T02 on a leaded car (yet to have a good look at it, it was dark but is definately water cooled) and doesn't seem to need much for roadworthy. High km (275,000) but it was cheap and has logbooks up to 2002 or so apparrently, all work done at Nissan. Body looks solid besides the hatch rust tho, and as far as I could see under the guards it looked good. Top end is noisy, needs valve clearances checked.

Once I get things sorted out and blue slipped I'm planning on the usual T25 swap, FMIC etc. Question time :)

1. What is the EGI manifold swap? I'm aware of the jap manifold but not EGI, searched but didn't seem to turn up the info I was after.

2. Do any N12's have a reluctor style dizzy? IE electronic carby style dizzy? I may end up throwing a delco ecu on it with some larger injectors for a cheap aftermarket ecu solution, either that or a later chipped Nissan ECU depending on what I have laying around at the time or my mood, maybe a megasquirt. Or a chipped N12 ecu for the time being, tho I don't particularly like vane style afm's.

3. What is considered too much wear for a ring gear when I am looking for another one?

4. Are there many N12's still in wreckers? I am in Newcastle, I see a few on the roads around here but have yet to look in the wreckers, I haven't been done here long. I will need a new grill, the trim under the drivers side headlight (not sure if this is one piece with the grill, haven't had a good look yet) and a new hatch. Do the ET spoilers bolt on to standard GX etc hatches? Or better yet, anyone have the above items in red for sale in Newi :P

5. Any easy/cheap LSD option for these cars?

6. Do N12 shifters usually have a threaded section on the top like other Nissan shifters? Looks like this one has been cut for a fully sick short shifter, I want an uncut one.

That's really all I can think of for now until I get it home and go right over it
Last edited by XR Pilot on Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
photoglossy

Post by photoglossy »

The EGI Manifold came off E15E (N/A EFI) pulsars out of japan (Some also came witht he Jap Intake (RRC Motor style).

The EGI has a larger capacity and a dual butterfly throtle body on the drivers side opposed to passenger sade (as the jap intake has)

This is it

leayr

Post by leayr »

mate there a hard to find thing here at the wreckers and if they do have em there dreaming on the prices if u need any parts or cant find something send me a pm my dads been in the wrecking game for 30 years and i get most of the parts and cars cardiff auto wreckers has parts but i wouldnt buy a push bike off those cunts lol goodluck
leayr

Post by leayr »

the ring gear u can buy brand new at kloster ford wickham i got one there last year off top off my head it was $118
dexi_styles

Re: Put a deposit on my first ET Pulsar, few questions

Post by dexi_styles »

Hi Buddy,

2) the ET's have an electronic Dizzy, with the Crank Angle Sensor inside the dizzy. I'm not too sure if its what your asking. but I'm trying to help.

3) Too much wear is what the previous owner of my old ET did. these flywheels are on a 5 bolt connection and the engine generally stops at the one spot most of the time wearing about a 5th of the ring gear. NOW what the last owner did was rotated the flywheel until it worn in that section and so on till all 5 sections where worn. I bought it and HAD to change it as i did i noticed some sections where worn worse then others. Now that's my definition of worn too much. but it can wear bout half the thickness of the ring gear which is also too much. :D

4) Yes there are a few N12 around, but getting scares. Yes the spoiler bolts on to the standard N/A N12 Boot, in fact a lot of the parts will be interchangeable between the N/A's and ET the main diff will be bumpers, lights and interior styles. yes to the grill is one piece that tucks under the lights too. if you do a bit of hunting you might stumble on a N12 with the right grill to use or check the For Sale Parts section on here you might find someone selling one.

5) there is a thing called a Phantom Grip check here http://store.phantomgrip.com/catalog/in ... 9df92334a5 There looking around $300 and I've heard there no good for more then 150Hp Apparently i don't know first hand, I've heard from 1 or 2 Ppl. Someone might give you a bit more of a low down on them.

6) Yes yours must of been cut. Once again look at the N/A Pulsars if you find one in your area or keep an eye out in the F/S Parts section

Hope this helps ya.

Cheers,
Dexi
http://forum.n12turbo.com/viewtopic.php?t=446 Benny's Old Dog....
Bringing New life to the Young Dog...
http://forum.n12turbo.com/viewtopic.php?t=348
dexi_styles

Post by dexi_styles »

leayr wrote:the ring gear u can buy brand new at kloster ford wickham i got one there last year off top off my head it was $118
You can also try Nissan themselves I think it was around $90 to $120 I paid too.

Cheers
Dex
XR Pilot

Post by XR Pilot »

Cheers guys, very helpful. The main reason I wanted to know what would be considered ok wear for a ring gear is I have found an ET flywheel with what the seller calls slight wear on a few of the teeth, its in Newi so I'd check it out in person. I figured the spoiler would bolt onto a normal hatch too, but just wanted to check incase Nissan changed the hatch profile slightly for some random reason.

Dexi, yup I know the ET dizzy has the optical chopper wheel inside the dizzy, but cheers for trying anyway. In theory a circuit can be made up to use one of these with a delco ecu (I've tried a prototype on an RB30E for a brief test and had the nissan cas sparking a camira module) but given how much trouble they can cause if I went to a delco ecu I'd probably swap it out. If I ever get around to doing it thats something I'd probably do a write up on, few hundred in parts and you've got a realtime tuneable ecu that can do boost control, self-learning (to an extent) fuel tables etc.
leayr

Post by leayr »

kloster ford here in Newcastle is Nissan BMW etc all in the one shop lol id ring Newcastle auto dismantlers in Cardiff from memory they had a red et there awhile ago might still have the parts cheers
n12sumfin

kk

Post by n12sumfin »

cool another one in newcastle, will keep my eye out for a ring gear as for the front grill assembly you can buy them brand new from allcrashparts.com.au
dexi_styles

Post by dexi_styles »

XR Pilot wrote:Cheers guys, very helpful. The main reason I wanted to know what would be considered ok wear for a ring gear is I have found an ET flywheel with what the seller calls slight wear on a few of the teeth, its in Newi so I'd check it out in person. I figured the spoiler would bolt onto a normal hatch too, but just wanted to check incase Nissan changed the hatch profile slightly for some random reason.

Dexi, yup I know the ET dizzy has the optical chopper wheel inside the dizzy, but cheers for trying anyway. In theory a circuit can be made up to use one of these with a delco ecu (I've tried a prototype on an RB30E for a brief test and had the nissan cas sparking a camira module) but given how much trouble they can cause if I went to a delco ecu I'd probably swap it out. If I ever get around to doing it thats something I'd probably do a write up on, few hundred in parts and you've got a realtime tuneable ecu that can do boost control, self-learning (to an extent) fuel tables etc.

Yeah man,

I kinda knew that, as i searched it and thought i was WAY off what you were asking.

would like to see if it works out for ya.

Dex
XR Pilot

Post by XR Pilot »

Might have to take a run to Cardiff for a look by the sounds of it. Hopefully picking it up sometime during the week, maybe Friday. Looking forward to it, I want to get back into something light, instead of a fat arse 1350kg R31 :lol: From looking at the photos, the filler panel is seperate to the grill? From memory the grill was ok, just the filler panel was split in half.
n12sumfin

kk

Post by n12sumfin »

sorry dude the grill and filler is one piece, i know as i had a brand new one in my hands 3 weeks ago.
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

XRPilot
That delco (Camira) efi setup has been done before and the guys fit the CAS's out of the camira dissie.
Its all fairly ghetto tho.
Many cheaper and easier to configure options tho.
L8r
E
Forcd4 wrote:Oh fuk no dude it's you a again, the oracle.
XR Pilot

Post by XR Pilot »

Not sure why you'd go to the trouble of fitting a Camira pickups to the dizzy, I am 90% sure the E15S has the right trigger but I need to check one in person. I agree, the early delco setup's were pretty ghetto especially on boosted setups, a lot of guys were using the camira $5D program with a 2 bar map sensor and then rescaling the tables to suit, so in effect you decreased your map resolution by half, and had about 3 load cells for anything under 100kpa, along with a whole lot of other problems. In the last ~9-12 months or so a guy in perth has re-written much of the code, with proper support for 2 & 3 bar map sensors, 24x11 table for under 100kpa and 24x11 for 100-300kpa & 29x13 for 0-100 & 28x11 for 100-300 for igniton and load respectively. Bit over kill IMO tho. Also has the ability to target AFR ratios from a wideband sensor and has programmable PWM outputs, plus realtime tuning and datalogging (not like the old burn a chip, try it, reburn it etc days). But really, it will probably come down to what I have access to at the time and what mood I am in, probably either delco or megasquirt it down the track. Happy to go into the delco or MS stuff in more detail if anyone is interested tho, or Nistune but I can't see that happening on the ET, don't like vane AFM's.
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

Ummm..... from memory, it was a fairly straight swap of the Camira CAS bits into the ET dissie. It required a bit of jigging as the CAS offset ended up a fair way out and the guys just rotated the dissie a mile with a dodgey bracket to secure it to compensate rather than spend time and position the cas pickups better.
Would have meant the rotor might have been a fair whack away from the lead posts at each ignition event.

Now, I believe the electronic E15 atmo dissie is a magnetic reluctor (proximity) type, fairly common for the era.
FWIW. I would not fit anything that was incapable of EDIS tho no matter how fandangled the code written for it was.
My own subjective testing over time with the old FJ20 has proven, even with just ghetto "seat of the pants" feedback that a dissie sending the spark around is a seriously weak link in the entire ignition system. Might as well just run a Kettering system with a Jaycar ignition controller and an old Digi4 or something fuel only ecu LOL!
Prolly work better for a fraction the cost!!!!

I did think about MS for quite a while but its just too much a one-off setup for each application.
Best suited to, and really aimed at the seriously hard-core hobbyist/enthusiast/fiddle-artiste.
Im not that enthusiastic to sit down and write an entire VE table from scratch and mess with all those funky daughterboards and other so-on!!!!

L8r
E
Forcd4 wrote:Oh fuk no dude it's you a again, the oracle.