N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

JDM pulsar n12 e15s engine swap

General chat related to anything N12.
moonriver

JDM pulsar n12 e15s engine swap

Post by moonriver »

Hi there!

I'm from Moscow, Russia, and i've got a JDM n12 e15s-powered '82 5HB nissan pulsar. The car itself has many disadvantages and problems, it hadnt been even started for about 10 years. This was a little story about the car.

On the 1st of may i bought it and only this weekend i tried to inspect the car and engine. The car itself is not rusty, but there is a little rust in the engine bay. But the problem is that the engine doesnt start. Starter tries to spin it, but timing belt doest run. I tried to turn engine with 19mm socket by applying it onto crankshaft pulley bolt. And it doesnt turning clockwise (turning it CCW i only unscrew it). Then i put it on 5th gear and tried to move the car straight forward, but the car isnt moving, timing belt doesnt turn. Oil level is ok, clutch is operable, transmission is ok (on neutral wheels are spinning).

According to this, and couple of facts (i found leaking freeze plug that was repaired by poxypol or some type of gasket sealer), it seems to me that there was a serious engine overheat and crank is stuck. Or another suppose: pistons rust to the cylinder mirror (10 yrs of idle)... but i dont believe in it.

And now, im faced a problem: repair this engine or buy something suitable. I just wanted to ask: what nissan engine series suit my the n12 engine bay and mounting holes? My transmission model is RS5F30A (5spd).

Im asking this, because of the e15s repair price in comparison with the used motor. Even if the crank is repairable (grindable), total price of the rebuild (i have couple of things to add: may be valves are bended, crank main bearings, pistons with rings, rebuild carb, replace radiator and so on) will be comparable with used (under 100K km) CA-/GA-engine in Russia. Purchasing new motor is better since pulsar will be injected rather than carbed. So, does anybode had any experience in replacing e15(s) motor with something more modern? :)

P.S.: im an experienced in car/engine repair, the only trouble - i rly hate car electrical systems, but in my situation i have to love it.

tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

Sorry M8 but nothing fits unless you do an entire engine/transmission swap with custom mounts, driveshafts and so-on.
CA18 and SR20 are just 2 Nissan motors that have been shoved into the engine bay.
You can fit anything in there if you have time and facilities.

Your best to strip that original engine BEFORE you decide to convert. It may be nothing more than rusted bores in which case a simple rebore/rebuild.
At the moment you are just guessing.

RARELY do cranks rust no matter how long they have been sitting.

L8r
E
Forcd4 wrote:Oh fuk no dude it's you a again, the oracle.
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

Well, disassembly of the original engine is planned in any case.
Swap, that includes engine, transmission, inner and outer driveshafts, maybe wheel hubs (bearings and brakes as a dependency)... Well its very expensive swap, even considering the massive hp encrease we get from SR20DE, for example.

Other opinions, mates?

And a little question: according to FAST, my e15s carb kits are:
16455G5201 - gasket kit
16465-19M01 - screw and jet kit #1
16475-11M02 - screw and jet kit #2

these partnumbers are for e15s?