N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

Boost and performance issues

General chat related to anything N12.
bristol

Boost and performance issues

Post by bristol »

Hi there, im hoping someone can help.
We have transplanted an E15ET into our workshop Nissan S Cargo.
It was a little tricky but not to bad. At first we didnt do anything to the engine or turbo, just did the transplant to make sure it would all fit and make what we needed to.
Once the car was running we soon discovered the engine was a little smokey and the turbo was not the best but still managed to accelorate very quickly and exceed 150kph no problem. We were having trouble with the original computer so it was decided to put a Link G4 in it.
It was then decided to pull the motor out and recondition it and put a new turbo on.
The engine had need rings, new bearings, head was cleaned up, new guides etc and reassembled. Nothing major changed.
We decided to up grade the injectors and turbo as we were now running a Link G4 and could play a little.
We used new 405cc injectors from a merc which replaced the old ones no problem. We then fitted a T28 turbo with an exhaust housing of .49. this was as close to the original being .48 that we could get.
It now has an EXA manifold to keep it all low but was running with this when first transplanted it.
After all this work we expected this thing to fly but after experts playing with the Link to get the best out of it we can not get above 6 pound boost with internal wastegate conected or 9 pound boost with vacuum disconected. It also wouldnt pull the maggots off a greasy chop! We now stuggle to get to 140kph and really has no feel of being turboed at all.
Im now at a loss and am hoping someone out the has some info to help.
I have checked for vacuum leaks and been over so many things but must be missing something. Like i said the only changes are the turbo and injectors. Ive double checked cam timing etc.. but still no answers.
Please if anyone could help, it would be much appreciated.
Last edited by bristol on Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
E15ET in an S Cargo
Damo

Post by Damo »

Welcome to the forum mate.

You should be able to keep your entire post on the one page, there are no limits to the number of characters long the post is. Plus it keeps it much easier to follow the entire story when in one thread.

Anyhow, a very sluggish engine to me would indicate massive overfueling. What duty cycle are the injectors reaching?
And boost limitation would be from a leak in the plumbing after the turbo somewhere.

Damo
Do humanity a favor, use your brain and fight the forces of WOO WOO!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1mrbxhWU5Y
bristol

Post by bristol »

Thanks for your help.
I have just checked over all the hoses and pipes and conections and cant see any cracks or leaks. I will look further though before forgetting that idea.
I will have to check the duty cycle when i get my lap top back tomorrow.
I know it is slightly over fueling right now but running quite well. No black smoke and not fauling plugs but once i have my lap top back i will check those too.
I read on another post about plugging the over boost valve on the plennium chamber. I hadnt looked at that before so i just removed it and put a threaded plug in it.
I think it is slightly better but not a lot or enough to notice much difference.
Im only working on this thing at nights so it could be another couple of nights before im back on it.
Thanks so far.
Sounds like you guys have a lot of fun with these E15ET engines.
I will put up a photo of this S cargo once ive got it to run better.
E15ET in an S Cargo
bristol

Post by bristol »

Hey there Damo, finally got back onto this thing. I found 3 leaks after the Turbo. Not big but enough. I borrowed a snap on smoke machine to find the leaks and it worked wounders. I found a leak around two hoses and from the blow off valve. The biggest was the exhaust emission valve at the back of the engine. I removed it and made a plate to cover hole. Sealed well.
The gauge on the machine raised 10" of H2o by just getting rid of those leaks. I then went back into Link programe and reset fuel and advance settings and have improved the engine 10 fold. It now revs and boosts well past 14 pound and has heaps more but am having transmission slipping now. We rebuilt the original Auto transmission from the S cargo but it wont handle the Turbo motor. I am now looking for a genuine Turbo Trans as they have 2 more plates and much more beefy bits inside. If you know of any in any condition i am very interested as i can not find one here in New Zealand.
Thanks
Dave
E15ET in an S Cargo
Damo

Post by Damo »

There was a guy 'Gareth' from a few years back who persisted with an auto and spent a decent amount of coin, with kevlar bands and the like only for it to loose complete drive after 3 days of driving. Not sure whether he had a turbo auto or not, but either way, for it to completely fail in short time would suggest that any E15 auto is going to be short of the task!

There was never a auto behind either the EXA or ET in Australia, so locally they would be unheard of. Outside of Japan, you would be in the best place to find one.

Damo
Do humanity a favor, use your brain and fight the forces of WOO WOO!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1mrbxhWU5Y
BADET-4

Post by BADET-4 »

bristol wrote: I found 3 leaks after the Turbo. Not big but enough. I borrowed a snap on smoke machine to find the leaks and it worked wounders. I found a leak around two hoses and from the blow off valve. The biggest was the exhaust emission valve at the back of the engine.
What, May i ask, Is a snap on smoke machine and how does it work? I REALLY wanna find my annoying little air leaks!
Cheers

Passhole (păs'hōl') The person who has been driving slowly for ages but speeds up the moment one tries to get ahead of him.
Sarchasm (sär'kăz'əm) The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the recipient who doesn't get it.
Ignoranus (ĭg'nə-rā'nəs) A person who is both stupid and an arsehole.
boosted

Post by boosted »

BADET-4 wrote: What, May i ask, Is a snap on smoke machine and how does it work? I REALLY wanna find my annoying little air leaks!
Cheers
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp ... ir=catalog

;)
BADET-4

Post by BADET-4 »

boosted wrote:
BADET-4 wrote: What, May i ask, Is a snap on smoke machine and how does it work? I REALLY wanna find my annoying little air leaks!
Cheers
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp ... ir=catalog

;)
Geezus thats steep!! Well there goes that idea......... :cry:

Passhole (păs'hōl') The person who has been driving slowly for ages but speeds up the moment one tries to get ahead of him.
Sarchasm (sär'kăz'əm) The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the recipient who doesn't get it.
Ignoranus (ĭg'nə-rā'nəs) A person who is both stupid and an arsehole.
bristol

Post by bristol »

Hi there, If you look up snap on smoke machine on google you will see one working on a Youtube link. Basically its a machine that creates smoke and pressurises it through a rubber pipe that you connect to a vacuum hose in the manifold. The smoke will then leak out of any gaps or vacuum leaks you have. I used it on the S cargo and found 3 leaks that helped heaps once fixed and put it on a mates GTR as it was ideling at 1800 rpm and thought to have a manifold leak. We found the leak within 2 minutes of connecting it and it was a vacuum pipe off down behind the manifold. The car instantly droped to 800 rpm and much better power.
These machines are great for piece of mind that you have no air leaks.
Like i said check it out on you tube or google. There are a few different makes but Snap on is the one i borrowed.

Good luck.
E15ET in an S Cargo
nz_n12turbo

Post by nz_n12turbo »

we have one at work and they save sooooooooo much time rather than checking every f**king hose just plug it in and away you go :)