N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

Engine won't restart

General chat related to anything N12.
txateu

Engine won't restart

Post by txateu »

Help! I put an new engine in my exa and had it running but really rough... I tried a spare computer that I had and the thing wouldn't start, I put the old computer back in but it still won't start.

I checked fuel out of the FPR it was fine, checked spark leads and they were firing, checked injector plugs and they were firing too! I don't know what to do next?

Could it be whole water temp sensor thing? Bad fuel/over fueling? Do I have to reset the computer?

Anything will help guys...
cheers Michael,
baz

Post by baz »

have you checked for spark and fuel?
My old exa I created from granny spec to a neat little BRIGHT car: http://forum.n12turbo.com/viewtopic.php?t=3903

Current Car: 2004 Vz SS Ute
BLUE ET

Post by BLUE ET »

read before you post baz LOL. Try checking connections, make sure the afm is plugged in properly and rechek all wiring, sometimes it's the dumbest things that cause the headfucks
SHIT JANICE!!!!!!!!!
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

Checked plug lead (firing) order.
Its caught me before and more than once.
L8r
E
Forcd4 wrote:Oh fuk no dude it's you a again, the oracle.
txateu

Post by txateu »

Baz... Yes!

Blue I checked the AFM and changed it with a spare and no difference. I literally had the car running 30 seconds before I swapped the computer and then it just wouldn't start...

Is it because I didn't disconnect the battery when I swapped the computer? could the be a problem?

E won't happen cause I had it running and I've numbered my leads too. I'm sure it's something so simple that I just can't figure out... but what...
cheers Michael,
boosted

Post by boosted »

txateu wrote:Is it because I didn't disconnect the battery when I swapped the computer? could the be a problem?
was the ignition on? (still very unlikely...)

did you run a self-diag test?

its quite a stretch, but happened to me once:
take out the spark plugs (look for abnormalities on them) and give them a good clean or put new ones in....

good luck
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Engine won't restart

Post by tassuperkart »

txateu wrote:Help! I put an new engine in my exa and had it running but really rough... ...
Thats why I suggested the plug leads. You didnt say you had it running smooth. See above.

L8r
E
txateu

Post by txateu »

I bought a new set of plugs so I'll fit them and let you know. Nah the leads are fine... it was pretty smooth on idle but it rev'd up really rough like it was running on 3 cylinders

Boosted I don't want to sound like an idiot but how do I self diagnose the comp? It's my first exa if you can tell...
cheers Michael,
photoglossy

Post by photoglossy »

Diagnostic Procedure for problems:

http://www.n12turbo.com/files/files.htm
txateu

Post by txateu »

Update I haven't had a chance to do the diagnostics but I tried a new set of spark plugs and a little startyabastard and the car started first shot...

I ran the car for about 10 minutes and gave it a light rev then turned it off and tried to start it and it was no good... I could smell petrol (no exhaust on the car) so I'm thinking that it's running way too rich and has flooded the cylinders at least I hope so... I don't have an oxy sensor on the car so I'm assuming that this could help but I really have no idea

I'll try the diagnostics when the rains stop
cheers Michael,
Paul Smith

Post by Paul Smith »

Sounds like what I'm going through at the moment. Mine is rich and won't start when engine has some temperature in it. It starts when cold. It's probably going to turn out to be temp sensor or wiring or AFM.

Does anyone know whether there is any form of temp sensor in the AFM itself?
Mods
T28 @ 18 PSI, Jap Inlet Manifold, VL TB, MSD Ignition, Supra Cooler, 3" Dump and 3" Exhaust, Coolingmist Water Injection, AMG Mags, Koni Adjustables, Whiteline Rear Swaybar, CMS Brake Rotors, Stage 2 Cam, 5th Injector
Kimmo

Post by Kimmo »

Seems an odd question at first, but then I've wondered how the thing works just as well before or after the turbo, and how the temperature of the air would affect its ability to push the AFM flap open...
txateu

Post by txateu »

Paul Smith wrote:Sounds like what I'm going through at the moment. Mine is rich and won't start when engine has some temperature in it. It starts when cold. It's probably going to turn out to be temp sensor or wiring or AFM.

Does anyone know whether there is any form of temp sensor in the AFM itself?
Hmm well I don't have a log on this engine so I don't know what to do it its the temp sensor, I have a spare AFM so I'll try that first
cheers Michael,
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

There arent any "sensors" on the log. Only idle speed valves.
IAT sensor is located in the AFM itself.
L8tr
E
txateu

Post by txateu »

tassuperkart wrote:There arent any "sensors" on the log. Only idle speed valves.
IAT sensor is located in the AFM itself.
L8tr
E
Cheers E thanks for the heads up
cheers Michael,