N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

Bastard won't start again

General chat related to anything N12.
Paul Smith

Bastard won't start again

Post by Paul Smith »

I had been driving for about 30 seconds and the car started running a bit rough. I pulled over to check under the bonnet and couldn't get it going again. I was close enough to home to push it. After checking for spark and checking the temp sensor with a multimeter it started. It was stubborn and I had to keep a bit of throttle on to keep it running. It seemed ok so I thought I'd try to go to the shop again. Won't even fire. Spark seems ok and the plugs are very slightly damp. I suspect it's getting fuel but maybe not enough. I loosened the fuel line after the filter without the car running and fuel came out. Just before giving up I noticed that the fuel prime wasn't working although it had been up to that point.
I haven't had to touch anything for about a year and a half so I've forgotten a lot of what I know. Has anyone had something similar?
Mods
T28 @ 18 PSI, Jap Inlet Manifold, VL TB, MSD Ignition, Supra Cooler, 3" Dump and 3" Exhaust, Coolingmist Water Injection, AMG Mags, Koni Adjustables, Whiteline Rear Swaybar, CMS Brake Rotors, Stage 2 Cam, 5th Injector
Android 360

Post by Android 360 »

if the fuel isn't priming then check to see if the relay is clicking when you switch the key to 'on' it should click once, then about 5 seconds later click again. if it doesn't click then try switching the relay. Good luck :)
"I wasn't born with enough middle fingers, I don't need to choose a side."
Paul Smith

Post by Paul Smith »

Well there's no clicking going on now. The thing still wasn't firing when the prime was working though. The fuel pump relay is the green one above the fuse box, right?
Mods
T28 @ 18 PSI, Jap Inlet Manifold, VL TB, MSD Ignition, Supra Cooler, 3" Dump and 3" Exhaust, Coolingmist Water Injection, AMG Mags, Koni Adjustables, Whiteline Rear Swaybar, CMS Brake Rotors, Stage 2 Cam, 5th Injector
Paul Smith

Post by Paul Smith »

I replaced the EFI relay with one that certainly used to work in the spare car. Checked fuse. Still no fuel pump. Suggestions?
Mods
Damo

Post by Damo »

Paul Smith wrote:I replaced the EFI relay with one that certainly used to work in the spare car. Checked fuse. Still no fuel pump. Suggestions?
Check for power across the fuse holder.

Damo
Do humanity a favor, use your brain and fight the forces of WOO WOO!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1mrbxhWU5Y
Paul Smith

Post by Paul Smith »

It has power.
Mods
Paul Smith

Post by Paul Smith »

I replaced the ECU and the pumps now work. It'll start with throttle down quite a bit when cold. Doesn't run evenly though. After it's run once it won't start again. I can smell fuel and the plugs are wet but not dripping. I have checked the temp sensor by heating it with a multimeter connected and it seems to be ok. I don't know what to do with it now apart from burn it to the ground.
Mods
Callumgw

Post by Callumgw »

Check and clean the injector plugs at the injectors. Make sure they hold on firmly to the injectors with the little wire spring through the clip. The manual also tells you the resistance you should be able to measure from the ECU for each injector. I hit mine with WD40, help prevent corrosion and water issues etc...

The Exa I bought a while back had me, my father-in-law mechanic and the previous owner scratching our heads for ages. Turned out the injector plug clean and replacing he retaining spring fixed it. From what I can figure, when the firing signal is lost or degraded the injector goes full open or too much open causing these run issues.

hope this helps.

C
Paul Smith

Post by Paul Smith »

I used something similar to WD40. Made no difference. I do that every now and then anyway. My manual has no mention of the resistance to the injectors (Haynes).
Mods
Callumgw

Post by Callumgw »

I'll check when I get home what they are supposed to be.

C

Oh, my Dad recently gave me his old manual (genuine Nissan) so I have 2. Interested?
Paul Smith

Post by Paul Smith »

It ran again once the engine had cooled. Rough under 3,000 RPM. Wouldn't restart again of course. I'm suspecting the 4th AFM now.
Mods
Callumgw

Post by Callumgw »

check between pins 101, 104, 105, 102 (cyl 1 to 4 in that order) checked to body needs to be battery voltage. injector resistance = 2.35 ohm at injector.

C
Damo

Post by Damo »

Sounds like the classic water temp sensor shenanigans!

Do a diagnostics to be confirm. Or,

Once the engine is cold again, start it. As you have said, it should run for 10-30 secs before overfueling and dieing. Once it has stalled, disconnect the green fuel pump relay, and try and restart it. It should start (after a several cranks) and run for 5-10 sec before fuel pressure falls too low. If this is the case, it means either water temp sensor is shagged, or wiring from it to the ecu is shot.

To test the wiring, get a 1k ohm resistor and bridge it across the water temp harness. This will simulate something like 70-90deg (operating temp) and will not trigger any additional fuel during running conditions. The engine should start from warm almost immediatly, possibly running a little unstable for the first 5secs then comming good.

From cold with the resistor, engine will be a lot harder to start (but will start with a little convincing) and will be rough till water temp is above 40deg or so. If the resistor doesn't do anything, the wiring will be shagged. If the resistor does work, sensor may be stuffed.

Damo
Do humanity a favor, use your brain and fight the forces of WOO WOO!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1mrbxhWU5Y
Paul Smith

Post by Paul Smith »

It turned out to be the AFM yet again. Previously the AFM's have died slowly but this problem was immediate which is why I thought it was something else.

Who's got a good, working AFM they want to sell because they've gone over to a programmable ECU?
Mods
ETONE

Post by ETONE »

pm sent :)
Remember, nothings ever BOLT ON.