N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

Reducing flutter.

General chat related to anything N12.
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

Android 360 wrote:dude, you are comparing a turbo to a jet engine here, not exactly apples and apples a turbo blows and your car will go a little slower. A jet engine blows and a lot of people could very well die. THAT is why you would rebuild/replace a jet engine so readily.
WRONG.
Im using the jet engine scenario as an analogy. There is a wold of difference between and analogy and a comparison. The theory and the facts are sound. The same conditions are met in both cases. Furthermore, further down the page I stated and I quote:
tassuperkart wrote:It just so happens that the relative structural integrity of a humble turbo is perhaps (and happily) millions of times in excess of a commercial jet engine.
Furthermore you agree with, and back me up with this:
Android360 wrote:turbo blows and your car will go a little slower. A jet engine blows and a lot of people could very well die.......

Thats right a turbo blows. Thats the very point! lest remove/reduce some of the conditions contributing to that failure shall we?
Android 360 wrote:I am not disputing what you are saying about the wear involved, I know that flutter will have that effect on your turbo (on a minimal scale)
Good, then the argument is over. You simply agree with what i have been stating from the very beginning yet you have been debunking and disputing from the start.
Which way is it M8? The pure question is whether the bov is useful or not.
There is no question about the effects of stalling and surging.
Android 360 wrote:What I am disputing is that "if you don't run a bov you will experience catastrophic failure any time remotely close to when you start out with the setup."
You need to be sooo very careful about quoting here, in a written manner, on a public forum.
Some "interweb" advice for you my supposedly internet savvy friend.
"IF" you are going to quote somebody, then copy and past the text. Make real fucking sure its word for word. Proof read it pal.
DO NOT EVER interpret it in your best interests and then claim its a quote. Which you have done by adding quotations.
Thats called Libel. That word has a nice ring to it doesnt it!
Having a look up my previous posts does not reveal any post made by me matching this statement, not even close.
Ill accept your retraction of this forthwith along with your post edit.

Android360 wrote:You are talking extreme situations while ignoring the fact that most people out there don't use the car in a way which will warrant such extreme thinking.
No Im not, Im telling you that this destructive condition occurrs on almost every gearchange...pure and simple. How could I ignore anything? My VG30det flutters its head off almost every gearchange. Thats mighty hard to ignore. I cringe every time.
Android360 wrote:There are a lot more things that will kill your turbo a lot quicker than a little bit of flutter.
Like what exactly? facts? data? anything? Or SPECULATION!!!!

Perhaps so, but for the modest price of a bov, isnt it a worthwhile addition to remove one of the MAJOR causes of turbo wear and eventual failure. Which has been my main point right from the beginning? Which you AGREE with now!
Not everybody here has a job like yours that allows you enough spare cash to buy 400 dollar turbos wherever they shit themselves M8.
Android360 wrote: When you're talking a $400 turbo that's life may be shortened by say 10% being generous, it's hardly something to write home about.
Firstly, back up this statement with fact............... Im sure many on here are looking forward toy your data......... or did you just pull it out of your arse like some other statement made further up the page.... Hmmmmm?
Android360 wrote:dispute that.
You have successfully done that all on your own M8!!! Disputed it that is!
Now, you have a clear statement of reducing the life of a turbo by 10%
Now, on that rather bold statement, that equates to a $40 dollar saving over each 400 dollar turbo.
So, pop 2 turbos and you have then justified your 100 dollar bov!
not to mention the added time and headfuck of getting the car home and time off the road.

Damn, this was an easy one! *tips hat*:wink:
L8tr
E
Forcd4 wrote:Oh fuk no dude it's you a again, the oracle.
Android 360

Post by Android 360 »

Not even going to bother quoting all that... will just annoy people.

i love it how u and your boyfriend callum get all antsy and flustered when someone questions your self proclaimed god-like knowledge on everything. lol
This is why i tease you so.......

I not once said that flutter does not cause damage, I am merely questioning whether the level of damage on your average car is worth freaking our about like you are.

my " " were not supposed to be a quote, they were supposed to be a less offensive way of highlighting than bold letters or capitals. sorry for the misunderstanding. For future reference, when quoting, I use the quote feature built into this bulletin board that you plainly know all too well.

now lets start from the basics...
tell me...
How long would you say it would take for compressor surge to kill a turbo on your typical daily driven car? (average for such a car is 20,000km p/a.)
"I wasn't born with enough middle fingers, I don't need to choose a side."
Callumgw

Post by Callumgw »

Android 360 wrote: u and your boyfriend callum
:lol:

I like that, seems to have a short memory. Anyone say VL TB? or 280z AFM? or. . there's been a few. Far from a 'close personal relationship' between E and C. This time we just don't happen to agree with you.

Ohh, and I'd stayed out of this discussion until now, but since you brought me in.

Flutter is bad for turbos, BOVs are good, plumb-backs are best. If you like the noise fit a plumb-back and use one of those "wooosh pft pft pft pft" machines they use on N/A Hyundai Excels, I think they come standard when you fit enough fibreglass.

C
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

Debate has ended Android. You are boring.
It is clear that you are incapable acting your age and keeping you emotions under control. Its further clear your heart rules your head in which case there is little point in continuing this discussion when nothing but twisted half truths and interpretations are the only salient points you can make.

Take your childish little old/gay comments and the rest of so childish rubbish flames, half truths, name calling and try them on some other forum.
There must be one out there willing to humour you.
L8tr
E
Android 360

Post by Android 360 »

tassuperkart wrote:Debate has ended Android. You are boring.
It is clear that you are incapable acting your age and keeping you emotions under control. Its further clear your heart rules your head in which case there is little point in continuing this discussion when nothing but twisted half truths and interpretations are the only salient points you can make.

Take your childish little old/gay comments and the rest of so childish rubbish flames, half truths, name calling and try them on some other forum.
There must be one out there willing to humour you.
L8tr
E
you're not willing to answer my question?
I want you to answer how long will a fluttering turbo last on a daily driven car?
50,000km? 70,000km? 100,000km?

lets say 70,000km, that's half of what your normal factory setup could be expected to last. which is being more than generous.

so four turbos would span 280,000km, on the average kms per year for an australian vehicle, that means over 14 years you lose enough money from flutter that you could have afforded a $100 BOV......

That's assuming that the $1500 car you bought with 200,000km already on it lasts the 14 years to get up to 480,000km

I'll take my flutter thanks....... If you can't afford a loss of $100 over 14 years then you really shouldn't own a turbo car in the first place.
BennyET

Post by BennyET »

BennyET wrote:well my gtr has a 'resonator' (fitted stock) after the panel filter. it helps reduce induction noise but also gives the engine access to unrestriced air (cause its already been drawn through the filter) which aids in response too. anyone who takes it out says the engine become less responsive/laggier. anyway if this is how the factory does it i'd be looking down this road for a solution

...i'd never go for an atmo bov again, plumb back all the way
mentioned this before, tho it got a little lost. anything in it for the original topic?
I understand the need for conformity. Without a concise set of rules to follow we would probably all have to resort to common sense.
Callumgw

Post by Callumgw »

resonators are interesting, get the size wrong and they don't work well. Don't think the MR2 had a resonator standard though (might be wrong). BUT it did have a plumb-back standard. Mine doesn't flutter and it has a VTA BOV, which isn't very loud or fluttery, there more noise from the filter, sounds a bit weber-ish. The car came with the VTA BOV and I haven't changed it because it is not loud and doesn't flutter.

C
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

Oh sry Benny was momentarily distracted there. Onto intelligent stuff.
No!!!!!! LMAO
L8tr
E
shanec86
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shanec86 »

Just get a couple of recirc GTR blow off valves, vent well into the inlet track, and run an airbox with snorkle and be done with it.

/end thread
Android 360

Post by Android 360 »

ha i remember back in the day when a couple of my mates removed their cars' resonators. they didn't believe that their car needed them.

Manufacturers put a lot of time and money into developing that little piece of plastic :P
I remember reading an article where they put a car on a dyno & tried different sizes just to prove the point, used a coke bottle, a sealed bucket and everything inbetween, one thing happened each time... the car lost power.

I don't know the science behind it all, I've never owned a car with one, but it's definately something that should be left in place if you have a mild streeter.
Damo

Post by Damo »

Now you better explain this since a "plumback" is just an everyday bov that vents to turbo inlet rather than atmosphere.

Exactly the same operation, exactly the same result. Cept one type hisses and the other type is usually quiet...hmmmmmm?

L8tr
E

L8tr
E[/quote]

BINGO!
Because this thread is entirely based on what sounds good or not (no technical or mechanical reference implied), flutter IS the best, and I'd much prefer a no sounding BOV to a psssssshhhhhhht.............psssshhhhhhhhhhht.......pssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhht! :D

Go the mad turkey!

Damo
Do humanity a favor, use your brain and fight the forces of WOO WOO!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1mrbxhWU5Y
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

Ahhhhhhhh then thats different!
geez, I was getting ready to give it to you as well Damo *wipes sweat from brow*!!!!!!!!!!
LOL
L8tr
E
ETONE

Post by ETONE »

I having a swingers party this weekend anyone want in???

Campbell

oh wait wrong section got confused with all the rubbish flying around this thread lol
Remember, nothings ever BOLT ON.
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

Count me in Cam
Missus is away.
Better invite some of ur parents friends for me tho...lmao.
L8tr
E
TimmyET

Post by TimmyET »

Hah, I've read alot of posts about flutter and I'm pretty sure this happens every time :lol:
1. Cut a hole in a box 2. Put your junk in that box 3. Make her open the box