N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

N14 gearset fit a N12 gearbox

General chat related to anything N12.
Andy J

N14 gearset fit a N12 gearbox

Post by Andy J »

Hi All

Just wondering about if a N14 gearset (including cluster gear) will fit a N12 box, I have been told by a gearbox rebuilder that it will work but I have my doubts that this is a tatic that will mean it will cost me more $$$ when he figures out it will not fit.

Anyone done this ?
YES-PSI

Re: N14 gearset fit a N12 gearbox

Post by YES-PSI »

Andy J wrote:Hi All

Just wondering about if a N14 gearset (including cluster gear) will fit a N12 box, I have been told by a gearbox rebuilder that it will work but I have my doubts that this is a tatic that will mean it will cost me more $$$ when he figures out it will not fit.

Anyone done this ?
What exactly are u trying to do,change the ratio...??? I dont think the N14 will work cause of the size difference,then again,ive never bothered with a N14,maybe try an N13 gearbox to change the ratio...
raddavey

Post by raddavey »

n13 definitely works but surely if the n14 fits someone would have done it by now and we could also fit PAR gear sets.
ACL Pistons, 226/236 cam, T28 Turbo, FMIC, FJ20T Injectors, Wolf V4 ECU, NPC Clutch, VL TB, Custom High Mount Manifold, N13 Internals G/B, 3" SS Exhaust, Walbro 500hp Pump.
237hp@18psi
13.52@108.95mph (street trim, leaky hg)
Damo

Post by Damo »

raddavey wrote:n13 definitely works but surely if the n14 fits someone would have done it by now and we could also fit PAR gear sets.
I thought that the N14 1.6ltr had similar/same part number. Found this, which 'looks' nearly identicle.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NISSAN-PULSAR-N1 ... 5001r15389

But thats not the box that goes behind the SR.

Damo
Do humanity a favor, use your brain and fight the forces of WOO WOO!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1mrbxhWU5Y
raddavey

Post by raddavey »

Yes come to think of it i think there was the guy on pulsar.org who builds gearboxes saying the ga16 gearsets will fit, and i think even the n15 had the ga16. But they aren't really any better than the n13 gearset although i suppose newer and possibly better material.
ACL Pistons, 226/236 cam, T28 Turbo, FMIC, FJ20T Injectors, Wolf V4 ECU, NPC Clutch, VL TB, Custom High Mount Manifold, N13 Internals G/B, 3" SS Exhaust, Walbro 500hp Pump.
237hp@18psi
13.52@108.95mph (street trim, leaky hg)
Callumgw

Post by Callumgw »

does it give more ratio options?

C

oh, and should we lift this into the tech discussion?
Damo

Post by Damo »

raddavey wrote:Yes come to think of it i think there was the guy on pulsar.org who builds gearboxes saying the ga16 gearsets will fit, and i think even the n15 had the ga16. But they aren't really any better than the n13 gearset although i suppose newer and possibly better material.
Yeah, the newer the better in my books. An extra 15years of development in the lastest version of it would be the go. It would be very cool to have both in bits to see whats changed. Even going from the N12 to N13 had a few visual improvenments, imagine what you can't see!
And besides, the lastest generation had to put up with around 100kw and 160Nm in a 1300kg body, there would have to be vast improvements.

Damo
Do humanity a favor, use your brain and fight the forces of WOO WOO!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1mrbxhWU5Y
Timmzy

Post by Timmzy »

But isn't the weak point of our gearboxes actually the casing anyway? From a drag point of view? Ultimately it might be easier to make an adapter plate and actually use a later model gearbox - of which nissan boxes would not be my first choice. I'd go one of those toyota FWD boxes. They seem to handle that shock loading the best.

Having said that. I am working toward setting up one of those N13 gearsets, friction LSD inside N12 casing. To learn about gearboxes. They are not my forte.

The 2nd to 3rd ratio absolutely killed me at Winton last weekend in the wet. It was like crazy wheelspin in 2nd and not enough boost in 3rd once it hooked up. I could see this pissing the drag boys off too for the same reason. I needed a close ratio 2nd/3rd lower final drive ratio for a short,sharp acceleration track like winton. EXACTLY what the N13 setup offers.

I even tried changing from 17's to 14's and back again to no avail. It just moved the problem around from exiting the corner to mid corner........grr.

Interestingly, the standard ratio boxand final drive was pretty much perfect at Sandown with 17's on the front.

sorry off topic.

darren
Race it.
Andy J

Re: N14 gearset fit a N12 gearbox

Post by Andy J »

Hi All

Just to clarify the reasoning behind it, after recently blowning my standard box I got another from the site (thanks YES-PSI) and I though I would get a cost to rebuild it as a spare knowing that this is considered by all in the N12 world as the weakest point of the car I got some quotes which where between $500 and $700 (ouch!) but a local transmission guy told me that he could do it buy using the gears out of a N14 and the whole job would cost me $250!, so I am not out to change the ratio or lower the RPM in top gear just have a spare box.

So I though I would check to see if anyone here had done it before as, I have been told there is no modifications required and the gearbox come with warranty and the rebuilder is certified and registered.
Anyway after a mixed response I though I would give it to him and see if it works, I will keep you posted when I get it back next week some time as to the result and if it is possible I will try to detail as much as I can about it.

Regards
Andrew
Timmzy

Post by Timmzy »

Andy,

Well that's a ripper of a solution!

Its always good to know the background - I think thats why my posts are always so long............... :(

I wonder where the costs savings are coming from? Given that you would still have to reshim and setup endfloat, etc, within the different N12 housing with the N14 gears?

Maybe he is more confident putting a warranty on a gearbox that has parts in it that are 10 years younger? I know I would :)

Its the first "new" modification I have heard of for N12 gearboxes in years. I would be really interested in how this pans out - Given that I may need to install something soon.

thanks
darren.
Race it.
Callumgw

Post by Callumgw »

I did a web search but didn't find anything, anyone able to confirm the gear ratios of the N14?

C
shanec86
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shanec86 »

Why yes i can, i compiled this excel sheet a long time ago

khalid

Post by khalid »

hi everyone i havent been on here for a while since i sold my et (regreting it badly) with the gearboxes i know 100% sure the n13 to n12 gearboxes gear swaping works been there done that been a mechanic i pretty sure the n14 gearbox wont work. thought id put my 2c worth
born2run

Post by born2run »

andy def keep us posted cause if that works then my spare gearbox will be makin its way to that guy too.
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

Gees thats a pretty major call to do a full rebuild on a box for 250 bucks......
There is that much just in labour. How about all new bearings, synchro rings, oil seals and so-on?????

Its just the cynic in me and the "If it sounds too good to be true then it usually is" scenario.

Id sure like to know the outcome.

L8tr
E
Forcd4 wrote:Oh fuk no dude it's you a again, the oracle.