N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

Cold induction for turbo

General chat related to anything N12.
Andy J

Cold induction for turbo

Post by Andy J »

HI All

I am thinking of doing the following but would like to know if there would be any real advantage.

I am thinking of taking the air conditioner and plum it into the intake line to the turbo, I know the turbo works better with cold air but would having the airconditioning on just componsate for the powermade by the cold air been plumed in.

I am going to try this on the ET I use for racing for the added hp boost but after the thoughs of other members if they think it will make a difference before I spend time and money getting it done.

Regards
Andy
Ash
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ash »

NNNNNNOOOOOOooooooooooooooo................................ :shock:
Coolbeno

well...

Post by Coolbeno »

um to be honest i like the original idea but it wont work on a technical level. you see there is a crap load of air going into the engine more than any car aircon could supply plus the sheer logistics of the whole setup is mind boggleing. so an idea if super duper cold air is what you are after you need a big ass intercooler and co2 cooling which is a compressed co2 gas bottle and spray nozzles that spray directly to the surface of the intercooler. this will be probably not very practicle but if thats the road you want to travel thats what will be waiting at the end of the line. also with a co2 setup you can get a fuel rail thingo so you can get your fuel just as cool though i dunno if or how that will effect atimisation of the fuel. so its limited to how much you wanna spend or how much time you have on your hands but aircon is limited to keeping you cool and stealing otherwise useful horsepower :) :) :)
I have driven lots of cars in my time from a suzuki
hatch to a 600hp track spec v8 but the rides i most enjoy are turbocharged!!
Damo

Post by Damo »

Before bursting the bubble guys, there is another application (which I havn't seen done but thought would be cool). If you have some sort of fluid/air ic, there is no reason you can't use air con to cool the exchanger fluid before a run. Something like running the ac for 5 mins or so to drop the fluid temp well past ambiant, then when you do your run, have the ac turned off.

Would be much simpler to fill your fluid resivior with chilled water (or similar) before a run though. :?

Damo
Do humanity a favor, use your brain and fight the forces of WOO WOO!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1mrbxhWU5Y
Cherry Boy

Post by Cherry Boy »

What about Nitrogen spray on the intercooler? or notros purge?
et_rider

Post by et_rider »

guess what my mate and i have tryed it on his old exa no diffrence if you now how a cooler works you no that it attaches to the blowing side if the turbs this is for a reson the reason is no matter what temp airyou put in the sucking side its still oging to come out the blowing side hot so for the turbo to sucking side to work effectively you would have to hook the blowing end of the air con up to the sucking side of the air con then to your throtle body buuut i dont think the air con is really desined to with hold anything over 6psi lol plus a thing to remeber is with the aircon on there is more lag on the engine becuse it is required to turn the compresser and you also loose a bit of power with the fans on as it is straining the battery

Ramble over deep blue out
Last edited by et_rider on Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boost+pulsar = goodness = pain :(
My Ride
http://forum.n12turbo.com/viewtopic.php?t=4600
Callumgw

Post by Callumgw »

colder air into the turbo will mean colder out of your turbo. For example if you put 0 degree air into the turbo it might heat up to 80 degrees, but put in 40 degree air and it might end up at 120degrees.

Couple of tricks though, the A/C saps power from the engine to produce the cold air and probably more than you will get back with a standard ECU.

Cooling the inducted air is good, but no miracle power provider. The other thing is you really need an aftermarket ECU with a temp sensor at the butterfly to take full advantage of this...

C
Timmzy

Post by Timmzy »

Hey mate,

I think you'll find that the compressor will suck more HP out of your engine than it will ever provide.

They are inherinantly in-efficient - look at how much energy is put into them to achieve zero vent temps.... they are shithouse.

Get a NOS Wet Fogger kit for drag racing. Get some more boost for circuit racing. And don't get caught with the bottle connected on the street or you'll be up for 15 grand. :)

Happy times.

Darren.
Race it.
Coolbeno

bubble

Post by Coolbeno »

yea damo you got a pretty good idea there im all for the innovation i think what we are looking at are short term power boosts at best, rather than increase power everyday its more of a special occasion drag strip type thingo. but even saying that i cant think of any way the belt driven aircon could help produce any more power than the dirty little bastard takes when it basically slams the brakes on in an attempt to stop any fun high speed piston movement. looking at an article a while back i believe they tried that freeze spray directly onto the intercooler before a dyno run and there was not much to write home about. www.autospeed.com.au is a great source of car modification ideas, they play around with water to air intercoolers aswell. in the end though if it wasn't for these new ideas we would be stuck in the same old rut eg. old america with there give it some cubes philosophy.
I have driven lots of cars in my time from a suzuki
hatch to a 600hp track spec v8 but the rides i most enjoy are turbocharged!!
ET 4 EVA

Post by ET 4 EVA »

another thing you could try which would be a lot cheaper then the nitros purge or cryo2 system is make a simple cooled pipe after the intercooler, basically you can knock up a rectangle box out of sheet tin and put a hole in 2 ends for the IC pipeing, and fill it with dryice, as it keeps its temp, and is very cheap to buy when you need more. so basically when you go for a run drop a heap in the box making sure the entire girth of the pipe is covered and then try that, it wont chill it very much as the speed of the air moving through but its worth a try

but if you wanted to go the AC route, you could do an injected style thing, where you inject the cold ac air into the pipe just before the inlet manifold
because the way i see it if your going to put it in down at the AFM, its just going to be superheated when it goes through the turbo anyway, we all know how hot they get.
LANYARDS FOR SALE AGAINLIMITED NUMBERS BE QUICK MUST SELL for infoVISIT:
http://forum.n12turbo.com/viewtopic.php?t=4652