N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

E13 Engine Issue

General chat related to anything N12.
Cherry Boy

E13 Engine Issue

Post by Cherry Boy »

A couple of days ago I got into my little runner. STarted her up and she was fine. I thought id let her warm up because it was quite cold outside, so I did. As I got back in the car the temp gauge needle was in the middle so I though I would dab the accelarator to tunr the auto choke of which I did.

Hee come's the problem... as I did this the idle of the car was very rough. Bear in mind this is a totally standard n12 with E13 N/A with an auto tranny. I put into "D" and the car died.

The next day I chamged the plugs for the sake of it and the ingition lead, and cleanded the air filter which wasn't dirty at all by the wat and still no luck.

I decided to take it for a drive and see what it is like and my good it sounds like tak tak tak tak tak tak. I am worried if a valve is bent?

Has anyone been through this before and can I be advised to run some test's to get an answer... or do I have to lift the head :cry:
samwdg

Post by samwdg »

A bit to warm for a e13, my little 1300 i use to run in my van use to only go to the the first 1/4 on the gauge and never get any hotter, then eventually the car blew a head in 2 spots so i dropped an e15 in. Not sure what ur prob could be though, should do a compression test just to check the cylinders out.
Cherry Boy

Post by Cherry Boy »

Will do tomorow. THe worst thing is the engine has done only 29k miles from new. I drove it todat only coz I had to take it from my mrs to my grandad and I think it's the valve's! :cry:
Cherry Boy

Post by Cherry Boy »

Fot those who have had a read through this thread I would like to sat that I have done a comp test today and cylinder #1 & #2 came out to be nill. It could be one of two things.

1. the rings or piston and rings are gone.
2. The valve's aren't doing there jobs i.e bent!
trailblazer

Post by trailblazer »

did you try the comp test with oil? squirt oil in the cylinder and test it again. if the compression is good with oil then your rings are probably worn. but since you say 1 and 2 are low, there is a good chance it will be the head gasket blown between the two cylinders.
samwdg

Post by samwdg »

Sounds like the same thing that happened to mine, except 3 and 4 came out nill.

I never got around to pulling the head off though so im not sure what the prob was but i was guessing a piece blew out on the head gasket between 3 and 4.

Let us know what you find out if you go to pull it apart.
Cherry Boy

Post by Cherry Boy »

You guys are right the heafgasket had blown between 1&2. I have changed it today and it was running like a dream much better then before. But before I came home it boiled and I think it could be the switch on the radiator thats not letting the fan run. Will check tomorow if I get time and let you guys know.
trailblazer

Post by trailblazer »

yeah that's a pretty common problem. try disconnecting the sensor on the bottom of the radiator and shorting across the wires,the fan should run. just so you know it is the sensor and not the fan or wiring.
Cherry Boy

Post by Cherry Boy »

Correct again man, it was the switch on the radiator. Had an old nissan rad lying around so I wipped the switch out of that and bunged it in. Also added a thermostat as I found there isn't one in there. Nice and smooth now heats u[ like it should and cools like it should...